What would I be entitled to???

Options
Hi

I am a single mum to 1 child, I work full time in a call centre but am hoping to start a part time degree course next year.
I will carry on working, but will cut down my hours in order to study.
I'd like to know how I will fare financially - will I still get my working tax credits?, will I get funding to pay for my course?, will I be entitled to any student grants?
I want to make a better life for myself but need to know that I will be able to pay my bills/rent etc!
I have tried to get info but it's a bit of a minefield so any help is very welcome.

thanks

Gab

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How many hours will you work? You need to work 16 a week (which lecturers at my uni don't recommend) to get WTC.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • divastrop
    Options
    I don't think you get much for studying part time, the finance woman at my college yesterday was saying if you earn less than 18k or something you get part of your fees paid and a small grant for books etc. What is it you are thinking of doing?
    'Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans'-John Lennon

“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.” -Dom Helder Câmara
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    gabby71 wrote: »
    Hi

I am a single mum to 1 child, I work full time in a call centre but am hoping to start a part time degree course next year.
    I will carry on working, but will cut down my hours in order to study.
    I'd like to know how I will fare financially - will I still get my working tax credits?, will I get funding to pay for my course?, will I be entitled to any student grants?
    I want to make a better life for myself but need to know that I will be able to pay my bills/rent etc!
    I have tried to get info but it's a bit of a minefield so any help is very welcome.

thanks

Gab

Have you considered The Open University?

That way, you can continue to earn while you learn without accruing masses of student debt.

Good luck x
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • eklynne
    eklynne Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    Options
    I was in your position in my first year.
    I worked 16 hours a week so got full WFTC and CTC. I was also entitled to HB.
    As I am in Scotland my fees were paid and I got full loan, travel expenses and the loan parent grant. I was the most well off I had been in my whole life to be honest.
    I also passed first year with first class marks.
    Since then, I've met my other half and I'm utterly poor. Controversially, I would suggest to you that single parent students are some of the most well off I know!
    Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
    I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
    ~Matthew Bellamy.
  • gabby71
    Options
    Hi All

thanks for the replies, I didn't get far with the calculator - I am in Wales and think that it only applies to England.

eklynn, congratulations on your success, i'm hoping to do a degree in counselling.

will carry on with a bit of research!

regards

Gab.x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills