NHS Bursary & Benefits

Options
First of all I would just like to say what a fantastic and informative this website, so a big well done to all those responsible for the running of it.

I am due to start a Nursing degree in 2 weeks time and have just been awarded a bursary of around £4600. For the past 8 years (I am 32 years old) I have been receiving Income support and Incapacity benefit as I have 2 long term illnesses. I now want to pursue a career in Nursing, even though I still have the illnesses and they still affect me in the same way as before.

My question is whether I will still be eligible to receive Income support & Incapacity benefit whilst in receipt of a bursary and in full time education.
I have heard conflicting views on this, and I am worried that just receiving the bursary (£4600) will not be sufficient for all my outgoings.
Also any advice on how to inform the DWP about my bursary and anticipated studies would be appreciated.
I am very unaware about benefits and the rules and have just realised I may eligible to claim DLA, even though I have had a genetic illness since birth!
Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IB isn't income based; so there is no issue with claiming it - unless your studies contradict why you can't work.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Morgan_Ree
    Options
    Are you doing the diploma or degree?
    Do you have any dependents?

You should be getting way more the £4600! Have you checked with the bursary people that is correct?
    Future Mrs Gerard Butler :D

[STRIKE]
    Team Wagner
    [/STRIKE] I meant Team Matt......obviously :cool:
  • sajid78
    Options
    Morgan_Ree wrote: »
    Are you doing the diploma or degree?
    Do you have any dependents?

You should be getting way more the £4600! Have you checked with the bursary people that is correct?

I have one dependant (wife) and I sent off the relevant documents but for some reason didn't get any dependants allowance. I have emailed them today, so hopefully they will amend it, or let me know why they didn't award it in the first place.
    And I am doing the degree.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    For Income Support purposes the bursary or loan will be counted as income. IB isnt means tested. It will also be counted as Income for Housing Benefit and Council tax benefit.

PP
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Morgan_Ree
    Options
    Does she work? If so depending on her income will determine whether or not you get any of the depts allowance.

What about the maintenance grant? Have you applied for that?
    Future Mrs Gerard Butler :D

[STRIKE]
    Team Wagner
    [/STRIKE] I meant Team Matt......obviously :cool:
  • icklejulez
    icklejulez Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Options
    Have you thought about doing the diploma its around £7k and then you should (depends on uni) be able to transfer to a degree should you wish in the final year. Iv spent the last week spending hours each day looking into both and have decided that I am going down the diploma route and hopefully topping up to degree in the final year. With the degree your expected to top it up with a student loan which is repayable once you start earning. My partner works in the NHS student grants unit so if you want a few quick questions answering send me a PM.
    Saving needed to emigrate to Oz
    *September 2015*

£11,860.00 needed = £1,106 in savings

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For Income Support purposes the bursary or loan will be counted as income. IB isnt means tested. It will also be counted as Income for Housing Benefit and Council tax benefit.

PP

There are disregards for some student finance.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Just found this:

OFFA guidance

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will not count an institutional bursary as income when calculating benefits such as income support and housing benefit providing the following conditions are met:
    • the student in question receives the income-assessed Special Support Grant. This is designed specifically for full-time students eligible for DWP benefits
    • the bursary is for course-related costs such as books and other materials, course-related travel etc. Students must have a written statement to this effect in order to qualify for the disregard. The disregard will not apply to any part of a bursary which is for living costs.
    http://www.offa.org.uk/universities-and-colleges/guidance-and-useful-information/when-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-will-disregard-bursaries-for-benefit-purposes/

Sorry if my info was wrong.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    If you are doing the degree you should be applying for a student loan as well as the bursary. Both this and the bursary will affect any claim for means tested benefits,
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ONW is correct, to add to her advice if you decide to not take out the student loan you will be assessed as if you still have it anyway for the purpose of income support.

Also, the nursing course is full of work placements on the ward and you do this full time for 12 weeks at a time, how exactly are you going to justify working full time placements but being incapable of working full time outside of your course?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure