Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Jayen
    Online survey income, HMRC do I need to declare?
    • 1st Sep 10, 11:10 AM
    Online survey income, HMRC do I need to declare? 1st Sep 10 at 11:10 AM
    Hi

Im new around here and to the process of money making
    Just a week ago i registered to some surveying sites and I wanted to know if I need to declare any income I might make to HM I know the money I will make will be very low so is declaring income necessary? have any of u declared if so can u tell me how?

Im currrently studying, doing my A-level and I do recieve EMA, if this has any effects on my personal allowance. Thanks for ur help guys

sorry for asking nub questions

thanks again!
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 1st Sep 10, 11:11 AM
    • 13,942 Posts
    • 43,275 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 1st Sep 10, 11:11 AM
    • 1st Sep 10, 11:11 AM
    pm'd a bg to move this away from the freebies board for a better response.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 1st Sep 10, 11:41 AM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 4,343 Thanks
    epm-84
    • 1st Sep 10, 11:41 AM
    • 1st Sep 10, 11:41 AM
    Is it actual money you got or gift vouchers?

Generally I things like this, personal eBay sales etc. are strictly taxable but it would cost HMRC more to collect the tax than they would get in tax so they generally get overlooked.
    Last edited by epm-84; 02-09-2010 at 9:17 AM.
  • Jayen
    • 1st Sep 10, 11:52 AM
    • 1st Sep 10, 11:52 AM
    Well I have just registered so I havent got any payout
    the sites are onepoll, panelbase and lightspeed panel where Im quite far from the payout threshold, they do give actual money via paypal and BACS
    but i read somewhere that I need to register as self employed within 3 months so im confused now
    • lorweld
    • By lorweld 1st Sep 10, 11:58 AM
    • 5,103 Posts
    • 131,334 Thanks
    lorweld
    • 1st Sep 10, 11:58 AM
    • 1st Sep 10, 11:58 AM
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Jayen
    • 1st Sep 10, 3:01 PM
    • 1st Sep 10, 3:01 PM
    Sorry for posting in the wrong board im new around here
    • John_the_Boy
    • By John_the_Boy 1st Sep 10, 6:40 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    John_the_Boy
    • 1st Sep 10, 6:40 PM
    • 1st Sep 10, 6:40 PM
    In principle this is classed as earnings so should be declared and taxed. As emp-84 says if it is a small amount it probably would cost more to collect than the tax you would pay.
  • Jayen
    • 1st Sep 10, 8:03 PM
    • 1st Sep 10, 8:03 PM
    Just another question since Im registered with 3 survey sites do I have say this in the self emplyed form or fill in 3 forms? since they are all different companies to which I have registered?

how long is this process of declaring and is it worth it? Do i have to show proof of how I earned this any money I may make like keep an account for such little money? since I dont want to be filling in to many form every year and is it easy to stop this surveying and tell HMRM to remove me from self empleyed since Im only doing this till I get to uni?

thanks for your help!
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 2nd Sep 10, 5:41 AM
    • 5,410 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    • 2nd Sep 10, 5:41 AM
    • 2nd Sep 10, 5:41 AM
    Your personal allowance is 6,475 - that is the threshold above which tax is due. So if your total earnings in the tax year are below that, your tax bill will be 0.

I can't find any information on EMA but I would doubt that it is taxable.
  • Mahmood Reza
    The income that you get from the surverys would not, in my view be from self employment. It will be declared as "Other income not included on supplementary pages" (page 3 tax return). EMA is not taxable - HMRC even confirm this.
  • Jayen
    So I should not register as self emplyed?
    just declare the income if I get any on the other income, by what time frame do I have to do this in?

If I get paid in vouchers I do not need to declare this will this be true even when I save the money on my paypal account and then use it to purrchase online and not transfer to my bank account?
    I just called up HMRC and they said I do not need to declare this income or register since it is a minimal amount of money and would not push me over a tax limit so no need to declare this source of income

Thanks I really appreciate your help guys!
    Last edited by Jayen; 06-09-2010 at 6:48 PM. Reason: Called up HMRC
  • Mahmood Reza
    good news, keep a record of the HMRC advice,eg name of person spoken to, date, advice given
  • Jayen
    Yh i kept a little note on the advice which was given just to remind myself incase i run ito trouble
    thanks for ur advice
    Last edited by Jayen; 06-09-2010 at 6:49 PM.
  • Jayen
    I did note down the date as well as the time frame i called in since i dont exactly remember the exact time do u think I should make another call?
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 3rd Sep 10, 2:48 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    KiKi
    I did note down the date as well as the time frame i called in since i dont exactly remember the exact time do u think I should make another call?
    Originally posted by Jayen
    No, the date and approx time should be fine. Don't waste your time on hold for another 20 mins for this!

KiKi
  • Jayen
    Ok! thanks for ur help!
    • ANGELFLOWER
    • By ANGELFLOWER 6th Sep 10, 6:29 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    ANGELFLOWER
    Found this thread on surveys and would like to ask a question. I am thinking of joining some of these survey sites. I am not a student so any survey income I would earn would be on top of income I already receive, therefore my situation is different to the OP. I therefore presume I would have to register as self employed and declare these earnings. My question is are the vouchers taxable? I understand that cash would be, but are the vouchers classified as income or rewards? I have looked at threads on here already and cannot find a diffinative answer. I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this as it seems to be a grey area.

Thanks.
  • Jayen
    Well as far as I know vouchers should cannot be included in the tax since they are not taxable so if your going to register on a survey site which only give vouchers u need to call up HMRC and ask if u need to register since ur only gonna get vouchers, and it wouldnt make sense to become self employed to earn vouchers.
  • Indigomoon
    I was having the same dilemma as the OP. seems to have been answered, but i have a question:

Does everybody (me included) have to call HMRC, note down details, etc., or can we trust that the info is correct?
    I am not employed, so obviously, 2 survey sites won't push me over the 6 something limit (i wish they did)
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 7th Sep 10, 10:38 AM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    KiKi
    If you are not going to be earning over your personal allowance (which is different for different people) then you don't need to declare it as you're not going to need to pay any tax or NI on it.

However, for your own peace of mind and in case you're ever questioned, it's always useful to be able to say that you did enquire with HMRC. It covers your own back. At the end of the day saying you checked on an internet forum probably isn't going to cut it with HMRC if any future issues arise.

KiKi
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,590Posts Today

5,689Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin