Littlewoods credit account

Options
Im not sure if I am posting this in the right place so firstly I apologise.

I am so angry at littlewoods, don't get me wrong their customer service is great no hassle with deliveries/returns etc. However they have opened a CREDIT account with my details when I ordered something online. I had no idea I was applying for a credit account, I was merely putting in my details to create an online account with my name, delivery details and payment details.

I have been back and 'ordered' another item without completing the process and I can see no way around applying for a credit account as a new customer and simply just paying for the items with my debit/credit card.

I am angry becuase I did not want nor do I need a credit account with littlewoods that is simply going to show up on my credit report. :(

It's no use for me now but can they really get away with doing this?? :mad:
Nurse with an empty purse!

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Doesn't it tell you in the terms and conditions that a credit account will be opened? You have to tick to say that you have read them before you can order.
    :p
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OP if you don't want an account with them, then simply close it.

I do find it hard to believe that anyone would not actualyl know how Littlewoods business operates though. For one thing, it has to be one of the most well known brands in the UK and for another their website screams credit account all over it.
  • Elle7
    Elle7 Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Options
    When you choose a product, it has a box stating how much it will cost per week at what interest rate, or a box for credit/debit card. You tick the box that you want... I'm sure if you settle the balance immediately, they will close the account without hassle, though.
  • lmille38
    lmille38 Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2010 at 10:33PM
    Options
    No i have just 'ordered' again and there is no sign of "please tick this box if you do agree/do not agree". It simply just asks for you to fill in all your details, including your payment details after asking how you would like to pay and then confirms that you have been successful for an account and your limit is £1000.

Just noticed the other replies. I didn't know that you could only purchase things from littlewoods if you opened a credit account with them, as when you select your purchase it does show (as another poster rightly pointed out) that you can choose to pay with your credit/debit card.
    In addition I have also e-mailed them to close the account I was just a bit annoyed and shocked to have opened an account without my knowledge.

Sorry if I am still missing something.
  • masterlumps
    Options
    of course it wont when you order again, the account is already open!

dont get why you are angry with Littlewoods. you didnt pay attention. you can always close it.
  • masterlumps
    Options
    actually when you select things on the site you have to choose between the payment options, which are £xx.xx over 20 weeks OR credit/debit card

sorry but how could you possibly miss that, it doesnt even let you add things to the basket without selecting one or the other
  • DrScotsman
    DrScotsman Posts: 996 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 August 2010 at 11:09PM
    Options
    +1 for the OP, the same thing happened to me last year.

Added Wii Fit to the basket (100% certain I chose credit/debit card), began signing up. There was no obvious indication that you were opening a credit account, although I'll concede I probably should have thought something was up when they asked for a lot more details than Littlewoods Direct did. I just wanted my Wii Fit.

And yes, it was probably in the T&C. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be pointed out more clearly though.

Maybe I'll go through the process again (partially) and have another look sometime...

EDIT: Had a look. The "Account Application" section only appears if you didn't choose credit/debit card when adding the item.

I haven't got to the Account Application section because I didn't want to enter an email/pass/etc., but I can saftely say that in no page up until (and including) the Personal Details section does it tell you that you're applying for a credit account. If anyone wants to screenshot the Account Application page then please show us :p
  • masterlumps
    Options
    i have just been through the site again and even if you click the payment option of over xx by mistake when you get to the checkout to continue it has a big green button to continuw which says APPLY FOR CREDIT ACCOUNT

how could anyone miss that
  • lmille38
    lmille38 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    This is not meant to be rude I am just trying to clear things up so I apologise :D

masterlumps "dont get why you are angry with Littlewoods. you didnt pay attention. you can always close it."

me "In addition I have also e-mailed them to close the account I was just a bit annoyed and shocked to have opened an account without my knowledge."

masterlumps "actually when you select things on the site you have to choose between the payment options, which are £xx.xx over 20 weeks OR credit/debit card"

Yes I am aware of this and I did select the pay by credit/debit card option, I then go to 'my basket' and select that I am a new customer and it then takes you through what is apparently the application process. This is where I though I was imputting my delivery address and payment details (as I had selected pay by debit card). At the bottom of this screen it says continue, not apply for credit account.

Seriously am I missing something?! I know that littlewoods is very well known for accounts but I did think you could purchase things without an account, but I really can't see how!

DrScotsman thank you for your post at least I am not the only one who missed it.

I just feel a bit misled!???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family