Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Sending charity donations abroad via container

Options
Hi,

Does anyone know where to start with arranging a shipment of items collected to send abroad for charity?

Can this be organised by a non charity and where do I start?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Might be worth saying what, where to, and what timescale you are working on!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Brit_Chick
    Options
    Sorry, should've provided more details....

Mainly clothing, and bedding to be sent to the flood victims in pakistan. No deadline set.

Hope that assists.
  • oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    Options
    Please don't take this as a criticism of your generosity and enthusiasm to help in the worst disaster in many years.

Pakistan and neighbouring countries are a centre of global manufacturing of textiles and clothing. It is more economical to purchase clothing and bedding locally than to spend thousands of pounds to ship a miscellaneous lot of second-hand clothing to the disaster area.

You will accomplish more if you raise money so that experienced disaster relief and recovery experts can target the assistance exactly where it is needed.

If you have already collected clothing and bedding, why not organise a charity market and bring and buy sales to raise money.

Regards,
    Larry
  • aseriesoftubes
    Options
    oldtoolie is bang on the money. This is a slow, costly and uncertain way to try to help. By all means collect things but sell them here and donate the money to a reputable charity working in Pakistan.
  • Julie_J
    Julie_J Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    It's extremely expensive to ship goods abroad - could run into thousands of pounds. Friend did it for a village school in africa and I think a lot of the books/stationery etc had disappeared by the time the boxes arrived and it had cost a fortune to send.

If you want to donate goods to help Pakistan then I would suggest contacting Islamic Relief - I think they have warehouses/shops and are situated in big cities I think including Birmingham.
  • mightytev
    Options
    Ditto on what the others say - either sell the goods yourself or donate them to a charity shop belonging to a charity that is working over there! Oxfam and Save the Children are both members of the Disasters Emergency Committee which is working over there.

If you want your money to only go to Pakistan then you'll have to sell the goods yourself and donate it.
    September Challenges
    Earn an extra £10 a day (£0/£300)
    Exercise 3x a week (0/12)

Overall
    Pay off overdraft (-£2000/-£2000)
  • BADBT_2
    BADBT_2 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Pakistan International Airlines is taking relief goods to Pakistan free of charge. if you are an individual, you can only send non-perishable food items, but if you are a charity or an NGO, you can send clothing, bedding etc.

I have just send 600KG of non-perishable food yesterday, and instructed an NGO in Pakistan to collect it from the airport. If you need any information, as to links or procedures, or donations, please PM me.

If you are an individual and wanting to send bedding or clothes, Islamic Relief is probably the best option, and if you message me I can send you a link to where your closest clothesbank is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure