On SSP can any other benefits be claimed

My husband has just been signed off sick today for another 3 weeks.

I am working but my monthly pay depends on how many week and how many hours I do per month.

At the moment I am running around after my husband for dr's appointments so I am losing much needed money.

Apart from his £70 for SSP a week and my money which will just cover mortgage and household bills for the month. I should have a some left for fuel so I can get to and from work and that will be about it.

We have savings but they are all tied up and not easy to get at.

Is there any extra help we can get. I know we will not get council tax benefit as we have too much in savings.

Can we claim anything else. I am hoping that my husbands medical problem is temporary as there is no way that we can live on my wages for ever.

I suspect it is case of nothing extra.

Even the job centre said that he should claim Incacapity and not SSP.

Thanks in advance.

Yours

Calley
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Comments

• Im not absolutely certain, but i think you can only claim Incapacity benefit when you've been on SSP for 28 weeks, which is the maximum time you can claim it for.

If you have savings of any sort i reckon you're unlikely to get any other help, but i cant be sure. Have you looked on the gov website?
    Experience is the toughest teacher because she gives the test first then the lesson
    DFW Nerd 196 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS.
    Coins found whilst dog walking £7.56 Sun-Fri challenge: £10.00 - Spent £0.00
  • Sorry, perhaps should have said, https://www.direct.gov.uk
    Experience is the toughest teacher because she gives the test first then the lesson
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for that website I will have a look. I have had a looked at the entitled to and found that we might be able to claim some tax credits.

But at the moment I have no idea what he has earned this tax year to doing agency work.

I suspected that we would not be able to claim anything.

Typical work hard and save and pay your taxes and when you could with some extra help you don't get anything.

Good job I can cover the household bills.

Yours

Calley

• calleyw wrote:

I suspected that we would not be able to claim anything.

Typical work hard and save and pay your taxes and when you could with some extra help you don't get anything.

My OH always says theres only two certainties in life, taxes and death!! (i think its a quote by someone else actually, not him!) What a cheerful soul eh? But hes right. You dont get anything for trying to make yourself a decent honest living.:mad:

And as for agency work - Just the excuse they need not to pay anything! By the time theyve worked out the figures it will be too little too late i expect.

I know i sound cynical, but i cant help it!
    I do wish you both well though and hope your OH is better soon.
  • calleyw
    My OH always says theres only two certainties in life, taxes and death!! (i think its a quote by someone else actually, not him!) What a cheerful soul eh? But hes right. You dont get anything for trying to make yourself a decent honest living.:mad:

Yes you are right and so is your OH.

And as for agency work - Just the excuse they need not to pay anything! By the time theyve worked out the figures it will be too little too late i expect.

Well he is entitled to SSP and they have to pay. And they better do as he wil be on the phone nagging them to death about it.

I know i sound cynical, but i cant help it!
    I do wish you both well though and hope your OH is better soon.

Thanks and I am total cynic as well. I am sure we will muddle through.

One good thing as he can't walk he can't go and spend money unless I catching him buying on-line :rotfl:

Yours

Calley

• mclaren_2
    mclaren_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Since you would only need it for the next 3 weeks, no. It would take longer to fill out the paperwork and process it all. By the time theydone that, it would be 5 weeks downt he line.
    Never do things tomorow when you can do them today.
  • calleyw
    mclaren wrote:
    Since you would only need it for the next 3 weeks, no. It would take longer to fill out the paperwork and process it all. By the time theydone that, it would be 5 weeks downt he line.

At the moment he is signed off for 3 weeks. We have no idea what he is suffering from and how long he is going to be off.

So it could be a lot longer than 3 weeks.

Yours

Calley

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You don't have to have been getting SSP to be able to get IB, well I didn't anyway. I was unemployed and getting no benefits (only my NI paid) when I had my cancer diagnosis. My doc and consultant agreed that looking for work was the last thing I needed at the time so gave me a 2 month sick note for the DWP. I applied for IB (forms were very easy to fill in) and got it. I just let them know as soon as I was fit for work again and the claim was stopped. In all I had 3 months of IB.

Hope your hubby is well again soon.
  • mclaren_2
    mclaren_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    calleyw wrote:
    At the moment he is signed off for 3 weeks. We have no idea what he is suffering from and how long he is going to be off.

So it could be a lot longer than 3 weeks.

Yours

Calley
    he is signed off for 3 weeks so in their eyes, thats guaranteed 3 weeks.
    Never do things tomorow when you can do them today.
  • calleyw
    mclaren wrote:
    he is signed off for 3 weeks so in their eyes, thats guaranteed 3 weeks.

Cor I never knew that :rolleyes:

Well of course it is only 3 weeks. But I need to know what we can claim in case this turns in to some thing long term and heaven forbid that he can't return to work at all.

As we will not be able to manage on my wage alone if it is something long term.

I was 99.99% sure that I could not claim anything at the moment or anything at all but wanted to be sure by asking. And tax credits well lets no even go there as income for both of us has been erratic over the last 6 months. So possibly more hassle then it is worth.

Yours

Calley

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family