Lloyds TSB Airmiles Duo Credit Card Account??

Options
When applying for a 2nd Vantage account, they tried to push this card onto my mother.

The phone was on loudspeaker so i could hear, and i advised her not for not until we look into it.

It sounds a good thing, but whether it is or not, that's why i'm here.

She doesn't go abroad much, so no idea if it's suited more to those who travel a lot or not.

Any gen on it? Looked on the TSB site & didn't see a great deal. Maybe i wasn't looking in the right place though.

Worth it? Anything better out there (rewarding the user for spending on the card)?

NOTE: She would be able to pay off anything in full on payment date as to not run up any bills. She wouldn't spend silly on it by any means.

Comments

• CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depends on your level of spend. I prefer cashback or 0% purchase cards personally.

I do get a few cases of wine free each year by putting business spending through my Duo airmiles - never had any luck finding a flight that I want.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • paulmcerlean
    Options
    If you want airmiles and a good APR it is the best card around - and if you are a snob who likes amex!
  • noah271007
    noah271007 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    Options
    BMI amex card is the best one around. If you are planning to use the card occasionally, then don't bother having a rewards card.
  • Nine_Lives
    Nine_Lives Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Options
    CannyJock wrote: »
    Depends on your level of spend. I prefer cashback or 0% purchase cards personally.

I do get a few cases of wine free each year by putting business spending through my Duo airmiles - never had any luck finding a flight that I want.
    Her level of spend wouldn't be very high tbh.

Cashback - i'm assuming these are cards where either:

-the more you spend, the more you get back
    OR
    -if you spend a certain amount in a certain time frame, you get a certain figure in your bank account

?? Or maybe i'm off the mark with both guesses. Either way it sounds more interesting.

What'd be the 'best' card for this?
  • Curt.
    Curt. Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    If you want airmiles and a good APR it is the best card around - and if you are a snob who likes amex!
    :rotfl:

I think that's me desribed to a fault! After i got it i also upgraded to the Premier Duo airmiles card as i have the premier vantage account but even on the Amex i guess the 1.25 miles per £10 isn't the best rate going but i am happy enough.

The APR starts low but i got mine lowered to 9.9% and even though i pay no interest, case i ever did one day i doubt i could get a better rate on a rewards card then that anywhere.

In answering the original question as to whether to go for it or not on a pre-approved offer, i'd say definately go for it.
  • Nine_Lives
    Options
    If it's 1.25 miles for every £10 spent then she's not going to get very far tbh.

The cashback card sounds more appealing though. Can anyone summarise how this works then & what the best card or cards to go for are?
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Given the level of use on the card would be very low, I think cashback or reward cards that don't carry a fee would be best.

Airmiles duo is OK, but Tesco Clubcard credit card is better. You can either earn points, or convert points into airmiles; and for both it represents a pretty good deal. You won't ever have to pay for using the account (fees / interest) as long as the bills are fastidiously cleared in full each month. Setting up a direct debit to take the full amount each month is the best way to achieve this.

Good luck! :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • Nine_Lives
    Options
    Just had a look at MSE's section of cashback cards

Once i got past the payment & high yearly earnings requirements, there wasn't much left.

There was the Halifax one which gives £5, so that's only £60 per year (£300/month spend depending).

Didn't see a mention of the Tesco though.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No tesco isn't technically a cash back card rather you earn clubcard points which can, at the cardholders discretion be exchange for air miles, and either the clubcard points or airmiles can be spent on various rewards, or even sometihng as simple as saving them up over the year and spending them at christmas to reduce the inevitably big grocery bill :o

If I were in your mother's position, that's the one I'd get :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with Izools. It really depends where she shops and what she wants.

I personally don't have cashback card, I have reward cards - M&S and Tesco. I just like the feeling of getting something for free (rather then actual hard cash - which I get on cashback sites).

If she shops at Tesco as well she probably already has a Tesco clubcard and knows what rewards she can get for her points? Well, Tesco credit card just helps to rack up these points faster.

M&S card is HSBC backed up credit card. You get 1 point for every£1 spent in M&S (handy if you shop at M&S) and 1 point for £2 spend elsewhere. 100 points = £1 voucher to M&S. I generally get £15-20 a quarter. Which I use on treating myself as I love M&S food and some shoes. Also good for presents:-))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure