Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 15th Jun 10, 11:49 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    How do you think next week's budget will affect you? Take part in Turn2us survey.
    • 15th Jun 10, 11:49 AM
    How do you think next week's budget will affect you? Take part in Turn2us survey. 15th Jun 10 at 11:49 AM
    Whatís this all about?

Benefit and grant checker site Turn2us, a charity for low income families, is running a survey to try and find out how you think the budget next week will affect your finances.

Itís aim is to find out how low income families think they will be affected so that they can keep the governement informed on the affect of budget changes to low income households.

How to take part

Complete a short online survey to have your say. There are nine simple questions on areas such as VAT, cost of living and benefits - it'll take about 1 minute to complete.

Check for benefits and grants

Take this chance to check if you're eligible for benfits or free money from a grant on the Turn2us site.

See full info on grants and benefits in the following guides:
    Grant grabbing on a low income and Five minute benefit checkup

Don't miss another deal! Get MoneySavingExpert's Weekly Email
    It's full of new guides, tips, & loopholes; free & spam free
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 15-06-2010 at 5:29 PM.
Page 1
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 16th Jun 10, 7:24 AM
    • 6,944 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 16th Jun 10, 7:24 AM
    • 16th Jun 10, 7:24 AM
    Very skewed, and self-selecting, survey seemingly predicated on the assumption that the person taking it will be adversely affected by benefit reductions and that they're on the breadline.

I can't wait to see the results of this survey turn up in the Daily Mail, saying 100% of participants object to any tax rises and benefit cuts whatsoever.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • indierocker85
    • By indierocker85 16th Jun 10, 9:10 AM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 1,744 Thanks
    indierocker85
    • 16th Jun 10, 9:10 AM
    • 16th Jun 10, 9:10 AM
    Very skewed, and self-selecting, survey seemingly predicated on the assumption that the person taking it will be adversely affected by benefit reductions and that they're on the breadline.

I can't wait to see the results of this survey turn up in the Daily Mail, saying 100% of participants object to any tax rises and benefit cuts whatsoever.
    Originally posted by Paul_Herring
    Personally, I'm all for benefit reductions, even if they are only £10 a month reduction, across the country, it will be a huge saving.
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • SuzySF
    • 16th Jun 10, 1:18 PM
    benefit cuts
    • 16th Jun 10, 1:18 PM
    i just hope they cut the right benefits. I have a progressive ( will only get worse) illness and I get DLA, as my illness is carido thoracis (heart and lungs - thru no fault of mine) i am in the house a lot. Last winter we spent £1200 on heating oil (no mains gas only electirc in my village) I didnt get the Cold Weather payments they only go to means tested benefit recipients. We have too much in the way of savings - marginally more than the £16000 allowance. No one understands that we have ring fenced this as my husbands pension ( he is now 58) was almost halved when the Chancellor Gordon Brown robbed the pensions schemes. I travel to dialyse a 75 mls round trip 3 times a week, funded myself no financial help, and we have dropped our standard of living by a huge amount- not that it was excessive to start. I would love to have a flat screen telly, nice newcomputer, state of the art kitchen etc, but we are living on the bare minimum (hubby having just been diagnosed with a severe nerve disease. I think in my younger years I should have smoked (never have) drank, and had multiple kids with different fathers, as they seem to have brand new up to date mobile phones, flat screeb tellys, super computers, a fab social life down the pub etc....

I do agree that there are some scammers getting DLa. but i had to go thru hoops and over fences to get this awarded, and cant understand how other get it yet are very mobile (that is cycling, swimming, running and dancing etc) i can walk about 30m on a good day on a bad day its a wheelchair. . .

ok rant over !!! they really should address the right benefits. afterall, my mother bought me up without state aid, if you have kids then you should be able to support them. . . .
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • chloe30uk
    • 16th Jun 10, 1:45 PM
    Benefit Cuts
    • 16th Jun 10, 1:45 PM
    I hope that they cut the right benefits, I have been out of work for 6 months and seem to be unable to find a job to cover my living expenses. Currently in touch with my local MP as I have to survive on £65.45 a week to cover all household bills, car, food etc and not really managing to do this. My mum buys me bread and milk each week!
  • al_hunter
    • 16th Jun 10, 3:30 PM
    • 16th Jun 10, 3:30 PM
    I hope that they cut the right benefits, I have been out of work for 6 months and seem to be unable to find a job to cover my living expenses. Currently in touch with my local MP as I have to survive on £65.45 a week to cover all household bills, car, food etc and not really managing to do this. My mum buys me bread and milk each week!
    Originally posted by chloe30uk
    This I can relate to. I was out of work for 4 months and had to pay my half of a £625pcm mortgage, council tax, petrol for car etc etc. My mum also did a stellar job helping out.

I'm since back in work but the rate of pay is terrible and I'm seriously struggling now (I took a massive risk and took a payment break on my loan which ended shortly after I returned to work). Thankfully there are a few more jobs beginning to appear in the construction industry. My temporary contract with a contractor working on mostly public sector works is due to end in the next two weeks but it looks like Tesco are spending again so there are jobs appearing in the private sector again for me to go for.

I'm hoping that this budget won't affect us greatly but we'll have to see.
  • Nitha
    • 17th Jun 10, 12:47 PM
    • 17th Jun 10, 12:47 PM
    I'm just pleased the government are doing something about this debt problem. I think the primary target will be tax credits, seeing as families earning up to £50/£60k are eligible. The VAT increase won't impact me either, I rarely buy VAT charged products (plus I've heard through my line of business that many companies are planning to take margin hits rather than pass the cost over to the consumer for fear of reducing footfall).
    Taking baby-steps
    • Mikeyorks
    • By Mikeyorks 17th Jun 10, 1:24 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    Mikeyorks
    • 17th Jun 10, 1:24 PM
    • 17th Jun 10, 1:24 PM
    What is the point ...... other than simply a waste of money ....... to conduct a survey asking your opinion of how, as yet undeclared, changes in the emergency Budget will impact you. When the reality is just 5 days away?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 18th Jun 10, 7:16 AM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 18th Jun 10, 7:16 AM
    • 18th Jun 10, 7:16 AM
    I completed their survey and supplied the answers they probably don't want! Which just goes to show how useless these surveys can be.
    R.I.P. U.K. Democracy.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 18th Jun 10, 9:52 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    ....tax credits, seeing as families earning up to £50/£60k are eligible. The VAT increase won't impact me either, I rarely buy VAT charged products....
    Originally posted by Nitha
    I've never understood how any government could justify payments to those on very good money. There's a vague memory of Princess Diana trying to refuse her Child Benefit but told she had to take it, & I think she donated it to a children's charity in the end. Likewise the extra money for heating allowances etc, that OAPs who have emigrated to Portugal & places..why?

As for the VAT, there was a promise it would NOT be added to essential utilities--but it was--& I've a sneaky suspicion it will go on everything now. Even if it doesn't, any rise will still impact by virtue of increasing the cost of transportation, insurance, packaging, etc etc etc....
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 18th Jun 10, 10:00 AM
    • 6,944 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    There's a vague memory of Princess Diana trying to refuse her Child Benefit but told she had to take it, & I think she donated it to a children's charity in the end.
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    [Citation needed]

1) I'm sure that if Diana didn't want Child Benefit, I'm sure that she could have refused it.
    2) Google shows no (that's no as in 'none', not no as in 'no credible sources') results for some obvious searches claiming that she gave the child benefit that was 'forced upon her' to charity.

I'd welcome any corrections on either point, however.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 19th Jun 10, 12:11 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    [Citation needed]

1) I'm sure that if Diana didn't want Child Benefit, I'm sure that she could have refused it.
    2) Google shows no (that's no as in 'none', not no as in 'no credible sources') results for some obvious searches claiming that she gave the child benefit that was 'forced upon her' to charity.

I'd welcome any corrections on either point, however.
    Originally posted by Paul_Herring
    1) Hence a "vague memory".
    2) It was twenty eight years ago for crying out loud &
    3) Is there any reason why you are choosing this particular point to dispute, or are you just bored?
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• FATBALLZ
    i just hope they cut the right benefits. I have a progressive ( will only get worse) illness and I get DLA, as my illness is carido thoracis (heart and lungs - thru no fault of mine) i am in the house a lot. Last winter we spent £1200 on heating oil (no mains gas only electirc in my village) I didnt get the Cold Weather payments they only go to means tested benefit recipients. We have too much in the way of savings - marginally more than the £16000 allowance. No one understands that we have ring fenced this as my husbands pension ( he is now 58) was almost halved when the Chancellor Gordon Brown robbed the pensions schemes. I travel to dialyse a 75 mls round trip 3 times a week, funded myself no financial help, and we have dropped our standard of living by a huge amount- not that it was excessive to start. I would love to have a flat screen telly, nice newcomputer, state of the art kitchen etc, but we are living on the bare minimum (hubby having just been diagnosed with a severe nerve disease. I think in my younger years I should have smoked (never have) drank, and had multiple kids with different fathers, as they seem to have brand new up to date mobile phones, flat screeb tellys, super computers, a fab social life down the pub etc....

I do agree that there are some scammers getting DLa. but i had to go thru hoops and over fences to get this awarded, and cant understand how other get it yet are very mobile (that is cycling, swimming, running and dancing etc) i can walk about 30m on a good day on a bad day its a wheelchair. . .

ok rant over !!! they really should address the right benefits. afterall, my mother bought me up without state aid, if you have kids then you should be able to support them. . . .
    Originally posted by SuzySF
    "I hope they cut the right benefits" aka "I hope they cut the benefits I don't claim".

And sorry but if you can waste £1200 on heating in a few months (which is probably what I spend in 5 years, and I keep the thermostat at 20), you don't need benefits. You've highlighted one of the real issues, that people expect benefits to pay for needlessly wasteful lifestyles, the worst being people paid housing benefits in places like London, people who haven't worked for a year (hence have little prospect of getting a job) should be moved to some place where rent, housing and heating is cheap.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 19th Jun 10, 1:23 PM
    • 6,944 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    Is there any reason why you are choosing this particular point to dispute, or are you just bored?
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    Is there any particular reason I can't ask for clarification on something, that at first blush, is patently incorrect? Or are you just annoyed that I picked up on it in the first place?
    Last edited by Paul_Herring; 19-06-2010 at 1:34 PM.
  • sluggy1967
    The VAT increase won't impact me either, I rarely buy VAT charged products
    Originally posted by Nitha
    You're lucky! I have to buy tampons..... even they have VAT on them. Do you think VAT is only on flat screen tvs? VAT is on the delivery cost of virtually every single item you buy, (Oh, that includes fuel, you rarely buy that then? Where do you live, must be somewhere hotter than here)

Sometimes, ignorant messages like that just do my head in. If this Govt puts up VAT , everyone suffers
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 19th Jun 10, 5:19 PM
    • 6,944 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    You're lucky! I have to buy tampons..... even they have VAT on them.
    Originally posted by sluggy1967
    Going further off-topic... Have you heard of the 'mooncup'? Never used it myself (obviously!) but seen stuff about it.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 19th Jun 10, 5:50 PM
    • 6,944 Posts
    • 3,622 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    hmmm what a strange comment to make,
    Originally posted by Sam-Charlton-Jones
    Why?

if you havent used it yourself Herring, why bother posting about something which is for ladies only
    Well, Jones, it was to ask if the person I was replying to had heard of it. You appear to have a problem with that...
    • Rupert Bear
    • By Rupert Bear 19th Jun 10, 6:11 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    Rupert Bear
    LOL oh herring you are a card

Ciao

Sammy
    Originally posted by Sam-Charlton-Jones

Please hurry home Lee as your Sam is driving us made with all her posts today. Such a card!!!!!
    • fozmcfc
    • By fozmcfc 19th Jun 10, 6:30 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 2,198 Thanks
    fozmcfc
    Sam is a him, not a her.
    • Rupert Bear
    • By Rupert Bear 19th Jun 10, 7:09 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    Rupert Bear
    Sam is a him, not a her.
    Originally posted by fozmcfc

Very strange indeed because on another thread Sam referred to her beloved husband. Must be a civil partnership perhaps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,983Posts Today

7,317Users online

Martin's Twitter