How do you think next week's budget will affect you? Take part in Turn2us survey.

Options
Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 15 June 2010 at 6:29PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif What’s this all about?[/title]
Benefit and grant checker site Turn2us, a charity for low income families, is running a survey to try and find out how you think the budget next week will affect your finances.

It’s aim is to find out how low income families think they will be affected so that they can keep the governement informed on the affect of budget changes to low income households.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif How to take part[/title]
Complete a short online survey to have your say. There are nine simple questions on areas such as VAT, cost of living and benefits - it'll take about 1 minute to complete.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif Check for benefits and grants[/title]
Take this chance to check if you're eligible for benfits or free money from a grant on the Turn2us site.

See full info on grants and benefits in the following guides:
Grant grabbing on a low income and Five minute benefit checkup

[signupbox]test[/signupbox]
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very skewed, and self-selecting, survey seemingly predicated on the assumption that the person taking it will be adversely affected by benefit reductions and that they're on the breadline.

I can't wait to see the results of this survey turn up in the Daily Mail, saying 100% of participants object to any tax rises and benefit cuts whatsoever.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • indierocker85
    indierocker85 Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very skewed, and self-selecting, survey seemingly predicated on the assumption that the person taking it will be adversely affected by benefit reductions and that they're on the breadline.

I can't wait to see the results of this survey turn up in the Daily Mail, saying 100% of participants object to any tax rises and benefit cuts whatsoever.

Personally, I'm all for benefit reductions, even if they are only £10 a month reduction, across the country, it will be a huge saving.
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • SuzySF
    SuzySF Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    i just hope they cut the right benefits. I have a progressive ( will only get worse) illness and I get DLA, as my illness is carido thoracis (heart and lungs - thru no fault of mine) i am in the house a lot. Last winter we spent £1200 on heating oil (no mains gas only electirc in my village) I didnt get the Cold Weather payments they only go to means tested benefit recipients. We have too much in the way of savings - marginally more than the £16000 allowance. No one understands that we have ring fenced this as my husbands pension ( he is now 58) was almost halved when the Chancellor Gordon Brown robbed the pensions schemes. I travel to dialyse a 75 mls round trip 3 times a week, funded myself no financial help, and we have dropped our standard of living by a huge amount- not that it was excessive to start. I would love to have a flat screen telly, nice newcomputer, state of the art kitchen etc, but we are living on the bare minimum (hubby having just been diagnosed with a severe nerve disease. I think in my younger years I should have smoked (never have) drank, and had multiple kids with different fathers, as they seem to have brand new up to date mobile phones, flat screeb tellys, super computers, a fab social life down the pub etc....

I do agree that there are some scammers getting DLa. but i had to go thru hoops and over fences to get this awarded, and cant understand how other get it yet are very mobile (that is cycling, swimming, running and dancing etc) i can walk about 30m on a good day on a bad day its a wheelchair. . .

ok rant over !!! they really should address the right benefits. afterall, my mother bought me up without state aid, if you have kids then you should be able to support them. . . .
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • chloe30uk
    chloe30uk Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I hope that they cut the right benefits, I have been out of work for 6 months and seem to be unable to find a job to cover my living expenses. Currently in touch with my local MP as I have to survive on £65.45 a week to cover all household bills, car, food etc and not really managing to do this. My mum buys me bread and milk each week!
  • al_hunter
    al_hunter Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    chloe30uk wrote: »
    I hope that they cut the right benefits, I have been out of work for 6 months and seem to be unable to find a job to cover my living expenses. Currently in touch with my local MP as I have to survive on £65.45 a week to cover all household bills, car, food etc and not really managing to do this. My mum buys me bread and milk each week!

This I can relate to. I was out of work for 4 months and had to pay my half of a £625pcm mortgage, council tax, petrol for car etc etc. My mum also did a stellar job helping out.

I'm since back in work but the rate of pay is terrible and I'm seriously struggling now (I took a massive risk and took a payment break on my loan which ended shortly after I returned to work). Thankfully there are a few more jobs beginning to appear in the construction industry. My temporary contract with a contractor working on mostly public sector works is due to end in the next two weeks but it looks like Tesco are spending again so there are jobs appearing in the private sector again for me to go for.

I'm hoping that this budget won't affect us greatly but we'll have to see.
  • Nitha
    Nitha Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just pleased the government are doing something about this debt problem. I think the primary target will be tax credits, seeing as families earning up to £50/£60k are eligible. The VAT increase won't impact me either, I rarely buy VAT charged products (plus I've heard through my line of business that many companies are planning to take margin hits rather than pass the cost over to the consumer for fear of reducing footfall).
    Taking baby-steps :beer:
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the point ...... other than simply a waste of money ....... to conduct a survey asking your opinion of how, as yet undeclared, changes in the emergency Budget will impact you. When the reality is just 5 days away?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    I completed their survey and supplied the answers they probably don't want! Which just goes to show how useless these surveys can be.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Nitha wrote: »
    ....tax credits, seeing as families earning up to £50/£60k are eligible. The VAT increase won't impact me either, I rarely buy VAT charged products....
    I've never understood how any government could justify payments to those on very good money. There's a vague memory of Princess Diana trying to refuse her Child Benefit but told she had to take it, & I think she donated it to a children's charity in the end. Likewise the extra money for heating allowances etc, that OAPs who have emigrated to Portugal & places..why?

As for the VAT, there was a promise it would NOT be added to essential utilities--but it was--& I've a sneaky suspicion it will go on everything now. Even if it doesn't, any rise will still impact by virtue of increasing the cost of transportation, insurance, packaging, etc etc etc....
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    There's a vague memory of Princess Diana trying to refuse her Child Benefit but told she had to take it, & I think she donated it to a children's charity in the end.

[Citation needed]

1) I'm sure that if Diana didn't want Child Benefit, I'm sure that she could have refused it.
    2) Google shows no (that's no as in 'none', not no as in 'no credible sources') results for some obvious searches claiming that she gave the child benefit that was 'forced upon her' to charity.

I'd welcome any corrections on either point, however.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family