Will I be able to get income support on my maternity leave, single mum?

Options
I am pregnant, in full time employment, earning £32,000 annually. I will be a single parent, therefore as soon as my SMP starts of £124 per week I won't be able to survive! Can I claim during this period income support? I won't get anything else extra from my employer. Can I claim any other benefits? As soon as my maternity leave ends I would like to go back to work. PS. The father of the child is not going to be involved at all, so I will be all by myself.

Comments

• metalgal
    metalgal Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    you should be able to get some tax credits once the child is born and obv you will get the £20 a week child benefit. Other than that there is pretty much nothing else. I hate to be the one to tell you but the govt think it is possible to live on £124 pw even though you may have a mortgage other financial commitments. It sucks. :(
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Income support is just over half the SMP rate, so you will not qualify. You will be able to claim CTC and CB once baby is born. Do you rent or have a mortgage?

(Crossposted!)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • KeaneFan10
    KeaneFan10 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    Income support no but child tax credits yes, because your smp is a certain amount you wont qualify for income support, if you pay rent and council tax you might be able to get a little help with this,
    :AAutism isn't the end of the world just a journey to another one:A
  • Breast_Cancer_Survivor
    Breast_Cancer_Survivor Posts: 10,838 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 29 April 2010 at 2:42PM
    Options
    basiaf27 wrote: »
    I am pregnant, in full time employment, earning £32,000 annually. I will be a single parent, therefore as soon as my SMP starts of £124 per week I won't be able to survive! Can I claim during this period income support? I won't get anything else extra from my employer. Can I claim any other benefits? As soon as my maternity leave ends I would like to go back to work. PS. The father of the child is not going to be involved at all, so I will be all by myself.

Hi, Im sorry to hear that the father of your child doesn't want to be involved in it's upbringing but unfortunately he still has a financial obligation.

There is no law that say's he has to see his child but will expect him to pay for his child nevertheless.

http://www.csa.gov.uk/en/PDF/leaflets/new/CSL301.pdf
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
  • basiaf27
    basiaf27 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Income support is just over half the SMP rate, so you will not qualify. You will be able to claim CTC and CB once baby is born. Do you rent or have a mortgage?

(Crossposted!)
    Yes, I rent a studio flat at the moment. i pay £800 a month including bills. When I will be on maternity leave I won't be able to afford it! Will I end up in the street with the baby??? This is crazy, I have always worked in my life and paid taxes, now when I need support it is not there? Will I be able to get something for my rental charges?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    You will be eligible for some LHA.

This is not crazy, do you not have any savings?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • basiaf27
    basiaf27 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    You will be eligible for some LHA.

This is not crazy, do you not have any savings?
    I don't have any savings at the moment. I was paying a lot for my education and still recovering...
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think that you'll get tax creidts until after the birth.
  • Jomo
    Jomo Posts: 8,253 Forumite
    Options
    I take it you have a lot of debt, £32k isn't a bad salary.

Benefits don't take debt into account so maybe you could phone a national debtline for advice?
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    GOING OFF-TOPIC

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="%20abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure