Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Natasha
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt
    • 30th Mar 10, 1:03 PM
    Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt 30th Mar 10 at 1:03 PM
    Around a fifth of the population are 60 years old or over, so it's no wonder some companies (plus the Government) offer extra discounts and incentives to tempt the group's custom and loyalty. So we'd like to tap MoneySavers' knowledge for where these discounts, savings and promotions can be had.

Examples include annual winter fuel payments between £125 and £400, the Freedom TFL travel pass if you live in a London borough and 10% off Boots brand products if you join its free health club.

Please click reply to add your tips.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 05-04-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 6th Apr 10, 10:56 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 6th Apr 10, 10:56 PM
    50% discount for entry to the Luss Highland Games. You get in for £3 instead of £6. A cracking deal.
  • youvesavedmealot
    focus do it all
    Focus do it all give a discount card to over 60s - think you get 15% off everything you buy.
    • lechat
    • By lechat 6th Apr 10, 11:23 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    lechat
    • 6th Apr 10, 11:23 PM
    B&q
    • 6th Apr 10, 11:23 PM
    B&Q 10% discount every Wednesday with the age 60+ card:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templates/content_lookup.jsp?content=/content/support/services/diamond_card/index.jsp
    • greencode
    • By greencode 6th Apr 10, 11:29 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    greencode
    • 6th Apr 10, 11:29 PM
    • 6th Apr 10, 11:29 PM
    A tiny saving but one I managed to find for my mum and dad (both over 60). They have their dog insured with Petplan and you can get a £1 a month discount on your dog insurance (£0.50 for cats). If it's not already been a applied to your account then call them and they'll apply it from your previous renewal date, therefore giving you a reduction in your monthly payments until your next renewal date. Not much of a saving I know but as a famous supermarket once said "every little helps"
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 7th Apr 10, 1:45 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    • 7th Apr 10, 1:45 AM
    • 7th Apr 10, 1:45 AM
    On the Travel front you can get

Half price fares on National Express.
    http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/offers/routesixty.cfm

Cheaper Train Fares if you buy a senior rail card.
    http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/

and last but not least Free Local Bus Travel.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/TravelAndLeisure/TravellingAtHomeAndAbroad/DG_10026845
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 09-04-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 7th Apr 10, 2:13 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    • 7th Apr 10, 2:13 AM
    • 7th Apr 10, 2:13 AM
    In BOURNEMOUTH, Dorset you can receive a discount on a selection of leisure activities.
    It’s FREE to join and is available to both residents and non-residents of Bournemouth.

http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Visitors/Freestyle/default.asp
  • PP60
    • 7th Apr 10, 7:04 AM
    • 7th Apr 10, 7:04 AM
    The Boots discount for over 60's has been mentioned, but it is so easy to set up.
    At the till you just need to show proof of age along with your Boots card and they set it up there and then.
    You then get discount on all Boots products and best of all you get the discount of the Boots meal deal, which is brilliant value.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 12-04-2010 at 3:42 PM.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 7th Apr 10, 7:09 AM
    • 8,470 Posts
    • 33,043 Thanks
    ampersand
    • 7th Apr 10, 7:09 AM
    • 7th Apr 10, 7:09 AM
    A good first post PP60 - and Welcome to the wonderful world of mse. I will do this today, if I leave car and take bus-passy ride to B StE market day, which I am considering.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ACID
    free travel in London
    and outer london too

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/freedompass/
  • portman_blue
    Nearly the end of the season but most football clubs give concessionary rates to 60+
    • srbuck
    • By srbuck 7th Apr 10, 9:30 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    srbuck
    Over 50'now?
    How about starting a thread for the over-50 discounts, too, please?
  • harryhound
    Pensioner's bus pass
    Don't forget it is under attack along with age eligibility for state pension:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/budget/6772920/Budget-Elderly-lose-out-as-Government-cuts-back-on-free-bus-travel.html

Saga "holiday" credit card.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 7th Apr 10, 10:08 AM
    • 8,404 Posts
    • 29,530 Thanks
    Primrose
    B & Q do a 10% reduction for pensioners certain days (need a card).
    Wyvale have a 10% reduction day if you sign up for a card.
    National Trust offer a pensioners subscription (need to ask for it)
    Hairdressers/barbers often offer cut price haircuts for pensioners on certain days.
    Entertainments often offer concession priced admissions for over 60's.
    And, of course, your free Bus Pass from your local council.
    • robhac
    • By robhac 7th Apr 10, 10:27 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    robhac
    I've just received my Merseyside travel pass. I can use the buses, the Mersey ferries, ( if only they would stop playing that song), Merseyrail which can take me as far as Liverpool, Southport and Chester. Unfortunately Cheshire residents can't use their pass on Merseyrail.
  • J & J
    Over 60's Bus Pass
    According to Working Lunch and the featured directgov website if your 60th Birthday falls after 6th April 2010 you will have to wait until your 'normal' pension age to get this benefit. The eligible date appears to follow the same staggered calculations as the incremental dates which change the women's pension age from 60 to 65. This applies to both men and women for the pass.
  • 6459Jill
    Advantage of being over 60
    Most theatres give concessions to over 60s. I recently tried to book War Horse on line. The cheapest ticket was £49. I went to the theatre direct and got a ticket for £35 and then £10 off for being an OAP. Always ask as they don't always advertise it
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 09-04-2010 at 10:47 AM.
  • Frankl
    B & Q do a 10% reduction for pensioners certain days (need a card).
    Wyvale have a 10% reduction day if you sign up for a card.
    National Trust offer a pensioners subscription (need to ask for it)
    Hairdressers/barbers often offer cut price haircuts for pensioners on certain days.
    Entertainments often offer concession priced admissions for over 60's.
    And, of course, your free Bus Pass from your local council.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Wyevale are now owned by a company called Garden Centres and no longer give a 10% discount. Instead they give double points on their new card on Tuesdays.
    National Trust only offer a pensioner discount if you have been a member for at least 5 years.
  • Lulu
    Over 60's
    Focus do it all give a discount card to over 60s - think you get 15% off everything you buy.
    Originally posted by youvesavedmealot
    Normally 10% every day but ocassionally they send you a card which gives you 15% for a limited period
  • pasty bill
    Nearly the end of the season but most football clubs give concessionary rates to 60+
    Originally posted by portman_blue
    Unfortunately at Plymouth Argyle you have to be 65. Maybe the reason they don't get many supporters?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

3,379Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin