Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    Lost Share Certificates
    • #1
    • 22nd Mar 10, 1:10 PM
    Lost Share Certificates 22nd Mar 10 at 1:10 PM
    Hi there - I know almost zilch about shares, but I have some Barclays shares worth a little under 200 that I want to sell (I used to work for Barclays years ago and these are from then).

    I don't have the main share certificate, although I do have a couple of certificiates for 1 or 2 shares that were issued as dividend payments I think.

    I rang the Barclays share dealing service about selling them but they couldn't find any details about my shareholding - same online, but when I called Equiniti who run the Barclays Sharestor the details came up fine and they said this problem happens sometimes for "ordinary shares" (whatever that means). Anyway I could sell through them, but because I don't have all the certificates it has to be through the post.

    I've printed off the form and see that it will cost 20 plus a 30 lost share certificate fee ie. 50 which is over a quarter of the value of the shares.

    I don't need to know more about shares, but wouldn't mind knowing if there is a better option than this to sell them?


Page 1
  • Premier
    • #2
    • 22nd Mar 10, 2:32 PM
    • #2
    • 22nd Mar 10, 2:32 PM
    Probably not.

    You essentially have 2 separate issues:
    1. You have lost your share certificate
    2. You want to sell the shares you own.

    As proposed, you'll first need to get a duplicate share certificate. I don't know any other way to sell paper based shares without the certificate. As you have found, a duplicate certificate can be obtained from the registrar. I'm afraid you'll have to pay the applicable charge for the issue of a duplicate.

    Then you need someone who is prepared to deal in paper based shares. It's becoming a dying industry and most share dealing services will not handle them any more (HSBC/Teletrade have closed, or are just about to close, their service). Most share dealing is now done through nominee accounts where no certificate is issued.

    I think many of the high street banks will still handle paper based shares, but trading is not real time - you take the certificate in, they'll send it off, it'll get sold at some time and you'll be told what they've eventually sold them for.

    Either way, the minimum charge is typically about 20 even with a specialised share dealing service. The high street banks may even charge more.

    If the registrar service is prepared to sell them for you, you may as well let them.

    There is no specific link between Barclays Share Dealing Service and Barclays Shares (other than as a shareholder you probably own part of the service).
    Barclays Shares can be sold through any stockbroker (you just need one that will deal in paper based shares). Barclays Share Dealing Service is just one stockbroker ... and as such will deal in any company's shares.
    Last edited by Premier; 22-03-2010 at 2:35 PM.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 22nd Mar 10, 2:39 PM
    • 13,363 Posts
    • 6,127 Thanks
    • #3
    • 22nd Mar 10, 2:39 PM
    • #3
    • 22nd Mar 10, 2:39 PM
    The Share Centre (google for them) has a cost effective service for small certificated holdings - a minimum 10 fee I think which would probably cover your shares.

    But you do need the certificates, which as you have found out are expensive to replace. In fact many registrars require an indemnity insurance as well as a fee - you are getting off lightly.

    The only way round this is if Barclays have a share reorganisation or are bought out. In the former case new share certificates can be issued automatically, in the latter you eventually get paid automatically. Neither event is worth relying on.
  • Premier
    • #4
    • 22nd Mar 10, 3:04 PM
    • #4
    • 22nd Mar 10, 3:04 PM
    Good find, dzug1

    Here's the link

    Looks like it's 7.50 minimum charge (or 1% whichever is higher)
    Not real time - selling takes place twice per day, and only after receipt of the certificate.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • blackswan2
    • #5
    • 23rd Mar 10, 11:45 AM
    • #5
    • 23rd Mar 10, 11:45 AM
    thanks - I'll check out cost of getting duplicate certificate, if it's less than 30 then maybe worthwhile before selling.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,595Posts Today

6,435Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin