Vanquis Visa Problems!!!

Options
Hi all,

I have been a Vanquis Visa customer for about 12 months. For the first few bills I paid my balance in full, then at least the minimum payments. I think I missed 2 payments in 6-8 months ie late payments. Upon attempting to pay a bill with them last summer, the telephone advisor said I no longer had the option to pay via debit card over the phone, or online, and that they were seeking full payment from me and closing the account. I was informed that I'd receive all the relevant information, including how to pay, through the post. I never did.

With no way to pay, despite my best efforts to, nothing was knocked off this bill for months, but of course, they added charges and interest onto the account. I wrote and complained, and in January of this year, Vanquis agreed to repy £120 in charges. The account by this time had gone to 1st Credit Ltd.

The promise from Vanquis was made on 11th January, yet I am still awaiting the refund. 1st Credit are still chasing me for the full amount, and now Connaught Collections are, too.

I am writing a complaint letter to be sent to every company involved now, with the very real threat of a complaint going to the Ombudsman. There is something I'd like to question, though, as I'm sure I have read this somewhere, but now cannot find any information regarding this whatsoever....

Whilst disputing the amount I owe Vanquis, can they still chase me for any money? I have been making token payments on this account, but have refused to agree to a better payment plan (ie higher repayments) in a bid to get their attention. This has worked with 99% of my debtors :)

Many thanks for any advice to this question or anything else that may be relevant!
I've got nothing else but I've got my family.
Mum to Moo age 6, Wills aged 3. 2nd wedding anniversary 11/13!
:j

Comments

• borders_dude
    Options
    I once had a problem similar to this. The collection company said that I should make some kind of payments in the mean time until it gets sorted out.

That way if I did end up having to pay the disputed amount Id have eaten into the figure a bit and If it turns out I didnt have to pay the disputed balance I would get my money.

Each week I paid a token payment of £10. This went on for about 7 weeks (a disputed balance of just under £400). When it was eventually sorted out in week 7.5 I had a cheque sent straight back to me for the amount I had already paid.

Worked out fine in my case.
    When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
  • Sam_G_3
    Sam_G_3 Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been a Vanquis Visa customer for about 12 months. For the first few bills I paid my balance in full, then at least the minimum payments. I think I missed 2 payments in 6-8 months ie late payments. Upon attempting to pay a bill with them last summer, the telephone advisor said I no longer had the option to pay via debit card over the phone, or online, and that they were seeking full payment from me and closing the account. I was informed that I'd receive all the relevant information, including how to pay, through the post. I never did.

With no way to pay, despite my best efforts to, nothing was knocked off this bill for months, but of course, they added charges and interest onto the account. I wrote and complained, and in January of this year, Vanquis agreed to repy £120 in charges. The account by this time had gone to 1st Credit Ltd.

The promise from Vanquis was made on 11th January, yet I am still awaiting the refund. 1st Credit are still chasing me for the full amount, and now Connaught Collections are, too.

I am writing a complaint letter to be sent to every company involved now, with the very real threat of a complaint going to the Ombudsman. There is something I'd like to question, though, as I'm sure I have read this somewhere, but now cannot find any information regarding this whatsoever....

Whilst disputing the amount I owe Vanquis, can they still chase me for any money? I have been making token payments on this account, but have refused to agree to a better payment plan (ie higher repayments) in a bid to get their attention. This has worked with 99% of my debtors :)

Many thanks for any advice to this question or anything else that may be relevant!

Not being funny but you could have paid through your bank or via BACS transfer from your bank account using your credit card number for the payment reference - regardless of whether the account is open or not that card number is still allocated to you.

Their bank account details are on the back of your statements, so I don't think you can really use not knowing how to pay as an excuse (sorry).
  • Hi Borders_Dude, glad it worked out ok for you. I've looked into paying a higher amount now as I know the amount I "should" have to pay and do, indeed, need to pay this amount off the debt. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we can agree on my total amount owed soon so I can aim to pay that off quicker.

Sam G, yes, I saw that, and having just checked, I can see I had in fact made payments to Vanquis but couldn't cover their charges so incurred more. Internet banking has been a god-send for me. I had found it to be the only way to pay, as I don't have a cheque book, but was so annoyed to have actually had my payment refused and not get the information they were supposedly sending on how they wanted me to pay.
    I've got nothing else but I've got my family.
    Mum to Moo age 6, Wills aged 3. 2nd wedding anniversary 11/13!
    :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport