Help! Heating keeps coming on when it shouldn't

Options
We have a Vaillant ecomax boiler. We havit set to come on in the moning and eve for a couple of hours but we have noticed that in the afternoon or middle of the night the radiators are on...?

People have said that it could be the rost protection buts its turning its self on so often!!

Can anyone help....?

L
Recently married and loving it x

Comments

• gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Have you got the HW pre-heat/comfort set to on?

Let the heating go cold, turn on a hot tap and see if the left hand 22mm pipe under the boiler gets warm/hot. If so the diverter valve has stuck mid position and needs replacing.

If the pre-heat is on, then every time the boiler fires to heat the plate heat exchanger the radiators will get warm/hot.
  • nightsky224
    Options
    gas4you wrote: »
    Have you got the HW pre-heat/comfort set to on?

Let the heating go cold, turn on a hot tap and see if the left hand 22mm pipe under the boiler gets warm/hot. If so the diverter valve has stuck mid position and needs replacing.

If the pre-heat is on, then every time the boiler fires to heat the plate heat exchanger the radiators will get warm/hot.

Thankyou so much for responding. I will try checking the pipe when I run a hot tap when I get home.

Re the pre-heat/comfort setting I am not sure that we have one of these, is it called anything else.

Thanks Again
    L
    Recently married and loving it x
  • rockin_plumber
    Options
    I think its called warmstart... If its an ecomax 800 series.
    Page 6 of the user guide

The warmstart facility provides instantaneous delivery of domestic hot water from the boiler.
    When the warmstart system is switched ON the boiler will automatically light periodically to maintain the internal temperature of the boiler. When the warmstart ystem is switched OFF a short delay may be experienced in obtaining hot water at the tap.

This wouldnt explain why the rads are getting hpt as well though, maybe a sticking diverter valve??

• mr_skinflint
    Options
    Sounds like a frost protection setting. My boiler does the same but it's not the same make or model. Only happens in very cold weather.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure