PC World Rentsmart conned me!!!

Options

Comments

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately Trading Standards have advised correctly.

I has taken 2 years to bring this to anybodies attention. It seems to me you are now suffering from buyers remorse and looking to get out of the mistake you have made on a technicality.
  • Stoffy
    Stoffy Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Trading Standards have advised correctly.

I has taken 2 years to bring this to anybodies attention. It seems to me you are now suffering from buyers remorse and looking to get out of the mistake you have made on a technicality.

I'm not trying to get out of anything if you read my previous posts. I'm more than happy to pay for an item and have asked for a settlement figure for it. I just don't want to be ripped off. The reason it took me 2 years was because I was nearing the end of the 2 year period when I made the initial discovery regarding the length and amount of the contract.

I am trying to end a ridiculous agreement which was mis-sold to me and many others. The agreement I have will mean I end up paying £1620 over 3 years for a £900 laptop. And at the end of the 3 years I still have to buy it for its current market value, therefore costing me easily over £2k.

I've admitted it was partially my fault for signing an agreement without fully reading it, however, like many others on here, the advice given to us by PC World reps was blatent lies, and all the same similar lies, if you read others comments on this thread.

It is not coincidental that we were all told the same bull**** but like many others, I feel at least half the blame should lie with the miss-sold info given to us.

Like I've always said I'm more than happy to pay for what I thought I had signed up for.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not all the concerns here are legitimate, like the chap who didn't realise the 'rentsmart' was to rent the item and not buy.

When it comes to the settlement though, do remember:

- a 3 year old laptop doesn't have a great deal of value
    - they will struggle to find anybody to want to rent an old laptop and selling it will be too much hassle for them
    - the settlement figure can be negotiated, they wan't you to buy it as much as you do
  • Stoffy
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Not all the concerns here are legitimate, like the chap who didn't realise the 'rentsmart' was to rent the item and not buy.

When it comes to the settlement though, do remember:

- a 3 year old laptop doesn't have a great deal of value
    - they will struggle to find anybody to want to rent an old laptop and selling it will be too much hassle for them
    - the settlement figure can be negotiated, they wan't you to buy it as much as you do

Yes I agree we we're all "daft" not to read the full contract, but as I mentioned previously, after an hour of talking with the rep you just accept the stuff he tells you and agree to what you are being told. You wouldn't expect the contract to be anything different.

Hopefully I get a decent settlement figure, I think I've seen a similar thread were the person was asked to pay half of the original cost, which in my case would be about £450. Definitely not paying that, I'd rather they came and took it and I'll buy a new one from somewhere else. Thing is, its a Macbook which I know don't really depreciate in price and still works just as good as they day I got it over 2 years ago. Its by far the best PC/laptop I've ever had so I'm expecting an extortionate settlement figure (which won't be paid).
  • mr_badger_4
    Options
    I too have just found out I have been conned by PC world and that I didn't purchase my computer from them but rented it instead. At no point did the salesperson mention that I will be leasing the computer and not purchasing.

I went into PC world wanting to purchase a computer so at no point did I think to read the small print as you don't expect to be going out with a computer you don't own, I could have bought the computer but when the smart plan was mentioned it sounded good so did it that way but I still thought I was purchasing the computer and that I would be paying off the computer over 3 years.

Rentsmart isn't even mentioned on PCworlds website but is mentioned on the PC world business website but I didn't buy it from PCworld business.

I just don't see how they can get away with doing this as they are not being clear about the contract your signing.
  • suzukipammy
    Options
    I have had a similar experience with this con, i visited the store in december 2008 with the intention of buying a lap top cash, the sales assistant then intervened and told me that they had some good deals on with finance and if i took finance on the lap top i could upgrade it in two years free of charge, i was not asked if i was a business or if it was for business use, i signed the agreement which he assured me was for 32 pounds per month over 3 years not such a bad deal i thought for a 800 pound lap top which would be replaced free of charge for an upgrade in two years, it wasnt untill i got home and actually read the agreement and realised that it was over 4 years and i was renting the laptop not buying it. as i had not yet picked up the laptop i telephoned them and asked to cancel the agreement, they refused saying there was no cooling off period on rentals i did not mislead them into thinking i owned or was part of a business. i then received a letter stating that i had to have insurance on the aparatus at a cost of 8 pounds per month this took the total cost of the lap top to nearly two thousand pounds. in the first year my grandaughter dropped the laptop down the stairs rendering it useless i dont think they will accept this as accidental damage so i am just biding my time when i can finish paying for this bag of bits no doubt they will charge me for it again at the end of the four years only eleven months to go and i cant wait. something serious should be done about this they hoodwing and deceive so many people and i am far from stupid although maybe a bit too trusting of what i am told.
  • inamin
    inamin Posts: 122 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2011 at 1:06PM
    Options
    Read Cput regs 2008
    Barclays overdraft £1290 :(
    MBNA £3239 :(
    MBNA £4108 :(
    Extra payment a week challenge (started WC 11.5.2015) This week - £0 Total - £0
    £1000 emergency fund - £0/£1000
  • Stoffy
    Options
    inamin wrote: »
    Read Cput regs 2008

Do you have a link?

I'm preparing myself to sit this out now and just wait till the end of the agreement. Only 7 months to go. I'm not paying to keep it though. They can have it back at the end of the agreement.

I would advise everyone to contact your local TS office, the Hertfordshire TS mentioned earlier and watchdog to raise the awareness of this "scam"
  • isabella86
    Options
    Hi all,

I have been following this forum for a while now as I too was conned by PC World into signing a ridiculous SmartPlan lease agreement for a 4 year period.

Hopefully what I'm about to post and any future posts will help you all get out of your contracts in the same way I have.

Like the rest of you (back in 2008!) I went to purchase a £521.71 laptop from PC World with cash. I was then sold the exact same sales pitch as the rest of you all - i.e. 2 year lease with the option of returning, upgrading or purchasing the laptop for no more than one month's rental (£23.91).

I did not realise what I had signed until 2 years later when I contacted SmartPlan to end my contract. I was surprised to learn that I had actually signed up for a 4 year lease and it would actually cost nearly £700 to get out of my contract (and own the laptop). The total repayments would have totalled £1,147.68 plus I would have to pay £370.00 to buy the laptop from them at the end of the lease.

This was sold as a business to business lease agreement which means the Consumer Credit Act would not cover the agreement in full. Therefore standard things that should have been on the contract like the total amount repayable did not need to be stated. I have never told PC World, or led them to believe, that I was a business customer.

Firstly I called SmartPlan to complain and asked for the email address of a Manager who could help me. I then emailed a complaint to the email address provided and received a prompt response from them that was somewhat pre-prepared. In fact, their response was nearly word for word the same as what previous people have posted on this forum. I responded again to SmartPlan indicating that I would be contacting the Ombudsman, Trading Standards, CAG and Watchdog. After several emails they eventually agreed for me to return the laptop and terminate the agreement early with no further charges due.

SmartPlan stated that this was a gesture of goodwill and stated that I should be complaining to PC World. If you are going to complain to SmartPlan do NOT take no for an answer and do not accept what they say. Their Manager in fact emailed me accidentally with an email that I believe was due for his Manager. The email stated ‘this guy is persistent…should I ask collections for a short settle amount and the return’. I responded to this saying that he should do this and of course, as I had already paid more than the value of the laptop the short settle amount should be zero. They eventually accepted this.

My fight is not over however. I am now pursuing PC World for the full amount that I have already repaid totalling £812.94. I sent PC World a complaint letter and received a phone call from a Know How representative explaining that he had spoken to the store involved and they had agreed that it had potentially been miss-sold. He then stated that he does not see what I am pursuing because as far as they are concerned SmartPlan have already ended the agreement early. I explained that I had paid £812.94 and now own nothing – at which point he said he would speak to his Manager and call me back. I then received an email from PC World today explaining that the product could not have been miss-sold as I am the only person who has complained! I have of course responded to that email explaining that I now intend to contact the Ombudsman, Trading Standards, CAG and Watchdog without further notice. I have also contacted my Solicitor and intend to make a claim against PC World through a civil court. I will respond here with any updates.

I would ask that everyone here who has been conned please contact SmartPlan first and be persistent! The most important thing is to get out of that lease. Everybody then needs to contact Trading Standards and Watchdog. Due to the age of our complaints they are unable to investigate properly unless they receive numerous complaints.

If you would like to see all correspondence between PC World, SmartPlan and myself please contact me. I would be happy to provide the same if it will help you get out of these miss-sold contracts.

Thanks all
  • Stoffy
    Options
    isabella86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been following this forum for a while now as I too was conned by PC World into signing a ridiculous SmartPlan lease agreement for a 4 year period.

Hopefully what I'm about to post and any future posts will help you all get out of your contracts in the same way I have.

Like the rest of you (back in 2008!) I went to purchase a £521.71 laptop from PC World with cash. I was then sold the exact same sales pitch as the rest of you all - i.e. 2 year lease with the option of returning, upgrading or purchasing the laptop for no more than one month's rental (£23.91).

I did not realise what I had signed until 2 years later when I contacted SmartPlan to end my contract. I was surprised to learn that I had actually signed up for a 4 year lease and it would actually cost nearly £700 to get out of my contract (and own the laptop). The total repayments would have totalled £1,147.68 plus I would have to pay £370.00 to buy the laptop from them at the end of the lease.

This was sold as a business to business lease agreement which means the Consumer Credit Act would not cover the agreement in full. Therefore standard things that should have been on the contract like the total amount repayable did not need to be stated. I have never told PC World, or led them to believe, that I was a business customer.

Firstly I called SmartPlan to complain and asked for the email address of a Manager who could help me. I then emailed a complaint to the email address provided and received a prompt response from them that was somewhat pre-prepared. In fact, their response was nearly word for word the same as what previous people have posted on this forum. I responded again to SmartPlan indicating that I would be contacting the Ombudsman, Trading Standards, CAG and Watchdog. After several emails they eventually agreed for me to return the laptop and terminate the agreement early with no further charges due.

SmartPlan stated that this was a gesture of goodwill and stated that I should be complaining to PC World. If you are going to complain to SmartPlan do NOT take no for an answer and do not accept what they say. Their Manager in fact emailed me accidentally with an email that I believe was due for his Manager. The email stated ‘this guy is persistent…should I ask collections for a short settle amount and the return’. I responded to this saying that he should do this and of course, as I had already paid more than the value of the laptop the short settle amount should be zero. They eventually accepted this.

My fight is not over however. I am now pursuing PC World for the full amount that I have already repaid totalling £812.94. I sent PC World a complaint letter and received a phone call from a Know How representative explaining that he had spoken to the store involved and they had agreed that it had potentially been miss-sold. He then stated that he does not see what I am pursuing because as far as they are concerned SmartPlan have already ended the agreement early. I explained that I had paid £812.94 and now own nothing – at which point he said he would speak to his Manager and call me back. I then received an email from PC World today explaining that the product could not have been miss-sold as I am the only person who has complained! I have of course responded to that email explaining that I now intend to contact the Ombudsman, Trading Standards, CAG and Watchdog without further notice. I have also contacted my Solicitor and intend to make a claim against PC World through a civil court. I will respond here with any updates.

I would ask that everyone here who has been conned please contact SmartPlan first and be persistent! The most important thing is to get out of that lease. Everybody then needs to contact Trading Standards and Watchdog. Due to the age of our complaints they are unable to investigate properly unless they receive numerous complaints.

If you would like to see all correspondence between PC World, SmartPlan and myself please contact me. I would be happy to provide the same if it will help you get out of these miss-sold contracts.

Thanks all

Thanks for this Isabella86,

Why not post what you have sent & received on this this thread (similar to what I have done). If nothing else, at least it keeps bumping it back to the top :money:

I totally agree with everything you've said BTW. Could you also give the email address of the manager in Rentsmart. We could all email him/her hopefully as I have only dealt through post, not email.

Thanks
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family