I can login to gateway.gov.uk but not HMRC

Options
Hi guys

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been so frustrated with the gateway and HMRC system it's driving me a little crazy.

Should I be able to login to gateway.gov.uk with the same username and password as the HMRC website?

Many thanks.

Comments

• ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - unless you have changed a password.

If so they can email you a new one.
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The gateway and HMRC use the exact same login details. So even if you have changed the password on HMRC this would change it on Gateway too.

What happens when you try to login?
    When you put in the user ID does the password automatically appear? If so have you requested a new one at any point?
  • duncan303
    Options
    It can be very confusing, having registered for the "gateway" and gained access into the gateway you then need to "enroll" for each service you wish from that point on. So you need to check which services you are enrolled with.

Once enrolled you can then use the same login and password, I suspect one may have different passwords for each service if one wishes but personally I do not.

HTH

• pennythedragon
    Options
    when you log into gateway, does it list HMRC as one of your enrolled services?

if not, you need to enrol online on the Gateway site and they send you a PIN and activation code (they say it can take 7 days - took them 3 weeks with me back in 2008) then you should be able to get into hmrc site.

You need to use that activation code within 7 days or it expires - which is what mine had done when I got it - in which case you start the procedure all over again. :p
  • duncan303
    Options
    when you log into gateway, does it list HMRC as one of your enrolled services?

if not, you need to enrol online on the Gateway site and they send you a PIN and activation code (they say it can take 7 days - took them 3 weeks with me back in 2008) then you should be able to get into hmrc site.

You need to use that activation code within 7 days or it expires - which is what mine had done when I got it - in which case you start the procedure all over again. :p

^^ this is a much better answer than mine, furthermore I have checked and one cannot have separate passwords for each service but one can set a second password overall.

• toastiest
    Options
    I get this error when I try to login.

"You have entered an incorrect User ID or Password, or used a certificate which is not recognised. Please try again. If the problem persists please contact the HM Revenue & Customs Online Services Helpdesk."

Then I just tried to login with the same details on the gateway website and didn't have any problems.

I am at work at the moment so I don't want to have to phone their helpdesk and it's too late by the time I get home unfortunately.
    nikki2804 wrote: »
    The gateway and HMRC use the exact same login details. So even if you have changed the password on HMRC this would change it on Gateway too.

What happens when you try to login?
    When you put in the user ID does the password automatically appear? If so have you requested a new one at any point?
  • toastiest
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies.

I just enrolled in the self assessment through the gateway.

If anyone remembers doing this at the time, were they able to login to the HMRC website on the same day or does it take some time?
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can log in to HMRC same day. ATM you can't access anything. You will need to wait until it is activated until you can access the forms.
  • toastiest
    Options
    Sorry, when I said enrolled, I meant that I put in the activation code successfully today.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    toastiest wrote: »
    Sorry, when I said enrolled, I meant that I put in the activation code successfully today.

How long after entering the activation code does the form become viewable as it says that there is a short delay?

Many thanks

Anon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family