Help - Adept Telecom problems

Options
I recently tried to switch from Adept Telecom to another telephone provider, but today I've received a letter saying that I am in breach of a contract with them and I need to pay the £130 disconnection fee.

I'm not sure about the contract length as I don't recall actually receiving a contract, so I thought I'd give them a call to clarify it.

The thing is, calling them on the number they provide on the letter, they're not picking up! It goes straight to answerphone. I've been trying for 2 days now and I'm not getting through.

I've also tried their main customer service number, which is prominent on their webpage - http://www.adept-telecom.co.uk/ - but amazingly it cuts me off after saying "you will be transferred to the first rep available."!

Can someone try their number for me to see if it's just me - 01892 550 200
and try to advise me on how to proceed. I want to move to another provider but I can't even determine how long my contract is!

Comments

• yinhong
    yinhong Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Just want to add that I've tried all their different numbers, and none of them are picking up!

Some give me the exact same message as the 01892 550 200 one, before cutting me off again.

I'm getting a really worrying feeling that they're a very very dodgy company.

Help please....
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 16 January 2010 at 7:01PM
    Options
    I was in my shed just now doing some carpentry but I had to stop when I couldn't work our which end was the head of the nail.

Do a search in this forum for the word adept and you'll get the idea.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • yinhong
    Options
    ?? That link doesn't work?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't have to receive a contract (as in a piece of paper) to have a contract. It is usually a verbal contract, whic has exactly the same standing. if you've been using the service, you have accepted the T&C's.
    Most telecoms contracts are 12 or 18m, so when did you first sign up?

Edit: Their T&C's are clearly given on the website, for residential lines since 2008 it appears to be 18m. The early termination charges are also clearly shown.
    http://www.adept-telecom.co.uk/about-adept/terms-and-conditions
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    If you think they are being dodgy and you've not broken the T&Cs and you can't contact them then ignore them and get a brand new line installed.

But if you are due the money pay it.

Personally, I'd not even bother Googling a company called "Adept" for something as important as my comms. Barge pole.

Don't buy or agree to services from these strange companies over the phone either.
  • yinhong
    Options
    Thanks for advice.

Finally got through to them today. Found out that contract is automatically renewed for another 12/18 months at the end of the period unless we give them 30 days notice in advance. Fortunately we don't have too long left so will cancel with them in the near future. Thanks for the help.
  • macman
    Options
    Just make sure you cancel in writing by recorded delivery. These companies will otherwise deny all knowledge of your cancellation.
  • yinhong
    Options
    She said email will be ok, so I sent one. Should I also send a letter?
  • macman
    Options
    yinhong wrote: »
    She said email will be ok, so I sent one. Should I also send a letter?

I would, unless you get an emailed confirmation back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport