Credit card for 'homemaker'!

Options
Hi people. Hope you can help here.
After being a victim of debit card fraud AGAIN, I am considering doing all my purchases with a credit card which I am told has more comeback than debit card problems.

The thing is, I am classed as a carer to our child and my partner is on JSA whist studying to finish his degree (he only studies 1 day a week before people start asking how he is claiming!!) so of course I am wondering would I actually qualify for a credit card?

Can anyone help me out on this?

I have an excellent credit rating with no CCJs, bankrupcy etc.
Watch out people. You don't know what lurks around the corner for you![/SIZE]

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Is your only household income JSA?
  • Freebie_Hunter_2
    Options
    We get the CTC but it's all benefits I'm afraid. My lovely employer made my job 'disappear' when I went to go back after mat. leave & even Burger King won't entertain me for work (apparently they had over 200 applicants in the first week!)
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    The only card I can think of that accepts homemakers is M&S. No minimum income is specified so it could be worth a try.
  • Freebie_Hunter_2
    Options
    Thankyou Cif, I shall look into it. It's so frustrating as income really has no relation on whether someone is a good payer. I guess they see the higher the income the more that they can get out of you!
  • DrScotsman
    Options
    It's so frustrating as income really has no relation on whether someone is a good payer.

Wha......you..... :rotfl:

Income may not be the ONLY thing that decides if you're a good payer or not but it's definitely a major factor, and you don't need to be an actuary to know that!
  • Freebie_Hunter_2
    Options
    DrScotsman wrote: »
    Wha......you..... :rotfl:

Income may not be the ONLY thing that decides if you're a good payer or not but it's definitely a major factor, and you don't need to be an actuary to know that!

I'm old school. I make sure my bills are paid before anything else! :D
  • Freebie_Hunter_2
    Options
    Oh....and I know lots of people on good salaries who ar eup to their eyeballs in debt!
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    I have credit cards with Halifax and Abbey and my only income is benefits - both applied for after I became a single parent when my ex left me. I receive Carer's Allowance as my son has complex needs, IS, CTC, CB and my son's DLA.

I have had a zero balance on the Hlaifax card for over twelve months and I owe £200 on my Abbey card, which will be paid off tomorrow when I go to the bank.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Capital One will accept people with NO INCOME AT ALL! Try them. They have a 'homemaker' option on their application forms.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,928 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    After being a victim of debit card fraud AGAIN, I am considering doing all my purchases with a credit card which I am told has more comeback than debit card problems.

I don't know who told you this, but I'm not sure that it's true. Yes, you have 'section 75' cover for a credit card, but this only gives protection for individual items over £100, and really applies for cases where the purchase is in dispute (e.g. unsatisfactory or missing goods, supplier goes bankrupt etc), not for cases of fraud. And Visa voluntarily offer the same protection for their debit cards. So I'm not convinced that a credit card is going to fix your problems.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure