Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 15th Jun 06, 12:16 PM
    • 912Posts
    • 3,161Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Cheap, really easy sauces and custard too
    • 15th Jun 06, 12:16 PM
    Cheap, really easy sauces and custard too 15th Jun 06 at 12:16 PM
    To stop you buying packets! These are really good for people who don't like making a roux or usually end up with lumpy sauces.

I posted this on the Kenwood Chef thread but any type of blender / liquidiser will do so thought I'd post it seperately:

White Sauce
    1 oz butter
    1 oz flour
    1/2 pint milk

Place all ingredients in the liquidser and blend for 30 seconds on max. speed. Pour into a saucepan, bring to a boil and boil for 2 mins, stirring continuously until thickened. Season to taste. (I add 1-2 tsp. of veg or chicken stock powder at blending stage as well.)

Parsley sauce: add a few sprigs of parsley at blending stage, cook as above
    Onion sauce: add 1 large onion roughly chopped, at blending stage, cook as above

Cheese sauce: add 2-3 ounces cubed at blending stage, cook as above
    (I also add 1 tsp. mustard powder, really yummy for cauliflower cheese!)

Custard:
    1 pint milk
    3 ounces sugar
    1 egg
    1 ounce butter
    1 ounce cornflour
    1/2 to 1 tsp vanilla essence

Put all ingredients into liquidiser. Blend for 30 secs. Pour into a saucepan and cook over a medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly.

Yum - this is all my Bird's fan dh will eat now.

~Lynn
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,117Posts Today

6,259Users online

Martin's Twitter