PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Peking/ Crispy duck & pancakes

Options
Hi all

Hope you can help me. I need to know how to make this- and it has to be NICE lol

Ive got the duck legs, and the pancakes, plum sauce, the spring onions, 5 spice, honey. However, I havent got rice vinegar or sherry, tescos were out aside for £7 for a bottle of sherry and I was thinking , hmm maybe its not that important? Is it?

Who knows how to make this, a) quickly b) easily c) edibly

Any ideas ???
:beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:

Comments

• Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Peking duck - the crispy skin is sliced off with very little meat attached and eaten with pancakes, spring onion, cucumber and plum sauce. The meat and carcass are returned to the klitchen where it's transformed into another dish.

Aromatic duck - the whole duck is shredded and served with pancakes etc as above.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • Noozan
    First Post
    Options
    Peking duck. Massage duck skin to loosen it from the meat. Pour a kettle full og boiling water over the duck. In a large pan, boil 2 pints of water with 1 tbsp honey, 1tbsp rice wine/sherry and 1 tbsp white vinegar. Baste the duck with this mixture for 2 mins. Hang duck up to dry for a few hours, pref overnight. Roast in preheated oven at 200, over a pan of water (this helps to keep meat moist and prevents fat spitting too much) for 50 mins to one hour. This timing is assuming you use a whole duck.

Bring duck to table and carve off the skin, serve with pancakes. :drool:
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • Noozan
    First Post
    Options
    Aromatic duck. Spilt duck in half lengthways. In a pestke and mortar, grind 2 tbsp 5 spice, 1 tbsp peppercorns, 2 tbsp cumin seeds, 1 tbsp rock salt, 1 tbsp dark brown sugar. Rub all over duck on both sides. Leave for a few hours, preferably over night.

Steam over a pan of boiling water for 1.5 hours. Allow to cool completely. Heat 2 inches of oil in wok. Fry the duck skin side down over moderate heat for 10 - 12 mins, turn over and fry for a further 5 mins. Remove and allow to drain and cool slightly. Shred completely with two forks and serve with pancakes.

Invite me to dinner!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was going to make it for tea tnight, and I dont have the sherry,

Do you reckon it matters?

I'll be doing it peking style, thats what I meant I think :)

Cheers for this!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Actually, no I want to eat the lot tonight with pancakes

:confused:
    This Ive come to know...
  • Noozan
    First Post
    Options
    It won't really matter if you don't have the sherry but it won't crisp up as nicely if you don't give the skin plenty of time to dry out before roasting it. I have been known to blast ducks with with a warm hair dryer when I;ve been in a hurry....lol. You can eat all the duck with pancakes, peking style, but it's much more difficult to shred (hence the long steaming for aromatic style).

Hope you enjoy it!
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OOh hairdryer, I like it.

So let me get this right. I have 2 legs. I was goin to do them glazed & roasted like this, till I realised how much time I dont have http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/recipes/recipesearch/recipe/0312ws14-r01.asp

So as long as its dried out as best as poss ( its legs so should be easy to blast with the dryer) and rosted on the grill inster so all the fat comes out it shoulds be OK?
    This Ive come to know...
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Actually do you reckon white wine vinegar will do the same as rice vinegar?
    Ive got that in? :confused:
    This Ive come to know...
  • Noozan
    First Post
    Options
    The white vinegar will be fine, if I'm doing this at home, I often improvise with whatever I have and it turns out fine. You can use golden syrup in place of honey if you ever run out. The waitrose recipe is very similar to what we do in restaurant...the secret is making sure skin is dry. ;)
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your a treasure, ill let you know how I go on!!!
    This Ive come to know...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills