Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 3rd Nov 09, 5:06 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,560Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Great 'Free UK Museums & Galleries' Hunt
    • 3rd Nov 09, 5:06 PM
    0 WOW
    Great 'Free UK Museums & Galleries' Hunt 3rd Nov 09 at 5:06 PM
    On chilly, rain-lashed winter weekends, there’s nothing better than an inspiring day inside a museum. So we want to tap MoneySavers for their favourite free UK museums and art galleries.

Don’t just think London; we’d like to hear about free museums and art galleries across the UK, especially in big cities. Just free entry for kids, not adults, is fine too.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 03-11-2009 at 8:34 PM.
Page 1
  • Edinburghlass
    • 3rd Nov 09, 5:14 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 5:14 PM
    Plenty across Scotland for St Andrew's Day weekend.

http://www.scotland.org/standrewsday/visit-for-free/

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2007/11/13121540

and for those not so rain-lashed days Edinburgh Zoo is free for kids for the month of November with a voucher downloaded from here...

http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/news-and-events/events/articles/event_0061.html
    Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 3rd Nov 09, 5:56 PM
    • 7,539 Posts
    • 13,947 Thanks
    leveller2911
    • 3rd Nov 09, 5:56 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 5:56 PM
    My favourite Freebie so far is RAF Cosford. The Museum is excellant for adults and children alike.
    Lots and lots of "hands-on" educational stuff to do to.....Theres a whole hangers worth or art to look at too.

Would also add that the staff are really helpful , friendly and good with kids....
    • thornbridge
    • By thornbridge 3rd Nov 09, 9:48 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    thornbridge
    • 3rd Nov 09, 9:48 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 9:48 PM
    In Hull all museums and the art gallery are free for everyone. The Ferens art gallery, Wilberforce house, Street life whaling museum, Grammar school and the transport museums all completely free there;s a good days work there
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 3rd Nov 09, 9:52 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    • 3rd Nov 09, 9:52 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 9:52 PM
    Obviously various London museums, but the York Castle Museum is free for under fives or for residents with a York Card.

Also National Railway Museum at York is free for adults and children (except during special events), as is York Art Gallery.

Lancaster City Museum is free, and Judges' Lodgings Museum is free to accompanied children.

Finally, Ribchester Roman Museum is free for under 5s (and very very cheap to get into otherwise!)
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • ajbattrick
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:23 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:23 PM
    Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is free

Ikon gallery in Birmingham is free

National Museum Cardiff is free
  • sarahf191979
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:54 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:54 PM
    Police Museum Manchester (Newton Street Near Piccadilly Gardens)
    and is FREE (But only Open Tuesdays 10.30pm - 15.30pm)
    Well worth a Visit,More Details here.

http://www.gmp.police.uk/mainsite/pages/history.htm

And The Museum of Science + Industry is also Free in Castlefield,Manchester.

http://www.mosi.org.uk/

Also Near me in Ashton-Under-Lyne,Lancs is Portland Basin also FREE
    (Tuesday - Sunday 10.00am - 17.00pm)

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/portlandbasin

and The Town Hall in Ashton-Under-Lyne has Museum of the Manchester Regiment, Also FREE (Mon-Sat 10.00am - 16.00pm)
    Last edited by sarahf191979; 03-11-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: mORE iNFO

Where's the Coffee?? Show me the Coffee NOW!!
  • doughnut12
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:58 PM
    • 3rd Nov 09, 10:58 PM
    Would highly recommend the World Museum in Liverpool. It is free for all the family, even adults. The planetarium inside the museum is also free with a variety of shows, but you do need to get tickets on arrival from the Information Desk. The staff are all very helpful. There is even an inside picnic area so you can save even more money by taking your own food. We especially enjoyed the aquarium, Egyptian display and all the stuffed insects and animals.

Another recommendation is the Science Museum in Manchester. Again totally free for all the family, but parking can be expensive in the city centre. There is lots of hands on stuff for the children to explore.
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 09-11-2009 at 4:14 PM.
  • BizzyMum
    • 3rd Nov 09, 11:15 PM
    Free Museums
    • 3rd Nov 09, 11:15 PM
    Plenty to do in Manchester!!
    My personal Fav is Manchester Museum on Oxford Rd. Its part of the university and has soooo much to look at from Egyptology to a whole 2 floors of every knid of animal whcih have been stuffed! Also a life size T-Rex called Stan!!. The kids absolutly love this place as do i! All free! And once a month they have THE BIG SATURDAY for children and each month is a different topic and they get to play, make things, touch and learn all sorts off new and intresting things. As well as all this they have things for the Adults during the days and at night they have special guests, debates, and sometimes music!
    Can you tell i adore this place!!!

Also Manchester science and industry museum is free and the transport museum they all have great activities intresting for young and old!!

Urbis is also free in the city centre they change exhibits on a regular basis.

Plus more!!!!
    So much to see and do in Manchester and lots of it is free!!
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 09-11-2009 at 3:51 PM.
  • Geoffbell70
    National Football Museum (Preston,Lancs) FREE

Geoff.
    • Joannie111
    • By Joannie111 3rd Nov 09, 11:52 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Joannie111
    Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is brilliant. Admission free. On Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays has free guided tours. Also stages great events for children during school holidays.
    Museum of the Jewellery Quarter is great to visit and free tours lasting approx 1 hour.
    Also Aston Hall
    Blakesley Hall
    Sarehole Mill
    Soho House

See http://www.bmag.org.uk/ for details
  • mummyfriend
    museums
    Lincoln has a few museums all of which are free, except special showings at the Collection, and special workshops, and these prices are cheap, The museum of Lincolnshire Life is well worth a visit, all are open all yr round
  • K8J
    Glasgow - brilliant
    Lots available for free in Glasgow.
    My own favourite is the brilliant Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum

There is free entry to all Glasgow City Council museums.

• thulle1002
    Museum of Lincolnshire Life - FREE
    As of the 1st of April 2009 the Museum of Lincolnshire Life is free to enter.

Museum of Lincolnshire Life
    Burton Road
    LINCOLN
    LN1 3LY

Tel: +44 (0) 1522 528448
    Fax: +44 (0) 1522 521264

lincolnshire.gov.uk/section.asp?sectiontype=listmixed&catid=7838
  • bluekat
    The Museum in Bewedly is free enrty - we went for half term and they had loads of activities for the kids, brass rubbing, print making etc. The program changes too, and apparently towards Christmas they theme them towards it. The Stourport Basins have been renovated recently with vistor interest in mind, but not sure exactly what and when it's open!!
    • jennmark
    • By jennmark 4th Nov 09, 8:51 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    jennmark
    free museums and art galleries
    all the museums and galleries owned by National Museums Liverpool are free, that includes World Museum Liverpool, The Walker Art Gallery, Merseyside Maritime Museum including the Customs and Excise Museum, The National Conservation Centre, Sudley House, The International Slavery Museum and The Lady Lever Art Gallery.
    entry is free and all special exhibitions and events are also free, most have indoor picnic areas too.
    i actually work at the planetarium at World Museum Liverpool, so i might be slightly biased but i do think you could spend all day in just this one venue and of course you must take in one of our excellent free planetarium shows! (make sure you get your tickets from the ground floor info desk first though)
    do note, the food in the cafes is really expensive and its ok but nothing special, definately bring a packed luch with you, also the merchandise in the shops is fairly pricey and sooo tempting for the kids (and big kids!) so if you're on a no spend outing give those a miss too!
    website is liverpoolmuseums.org.uk, sorry site wont let me post the link.
    Last edited by jennmark; 04-11-2009 at 8:54 AM.
  • maureenjscott
    Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in Glasgow's west end is excellent, lots to see and interactive stuff for the kids - all free.

Also, just across the road is the Transport Museum (also free) which has old trams and steam trains, and other transport type stuff, my kids always enjoy a day out here.

If its nice, the park behind Kelvingrove has a great area for young kids a seperate area for older kids and a skate park!

an excellent, cheap day out in any weather!
    mo x
    Debt Free Wannabe Nerd #245
  • philandstuff
    Horniman Museum, South London
    I absolutely love the Horniman Museum in South London. It's an ecletic collection of random stuff pillaged (er, collected) by a victorian gentleman and put on display. There are four main sections: anthropology, natural history, musical instruments, and the aquarium (one of the oldest in the UK, from 1903).

It's all housed in a lovely victorian house with open access gardens, on a hill with a great view of London and the South East. There's a cafe but if you want to bring your own lunch there is space provided in the victorian glasshouse for you to sit down and eat.

For me the best bit is the musical instrument collection. If you're into classical or folk music there's something for you: they have huge numbers of brass and wind instruments, including curvy cor anglaisses, bass oboes, tenoroons and other rare instruments; a whole case with just concertinas (mainly english, but also anglo and duet systems), medieval instruments like lutes, and some real oddballs like a cello made from tin. There's also an interactive system to show what all the instruments sound like -- when I was there it was very popular with kids!

http://www.horniman.ac.uk/ is the website. I am not affiliated with them in any way.
    • Lo-Lo
    • By Lo-Lo 4th Nov 09, 9:50 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 6,395 Thanks
    Lo-Lo
    I think in fact all local authority and national museums were made free entry a few years ago. In Leicester, all the museums are free apart from the privately run National Space Centre, which is incredibly expensive!

There's Jewry Wall - Leicester's archaeology and the Roman bath site ruins, the Guildhall, Newarke Houses Museum which is social, community and military history which was only refurbished a couple of years ago, Belgrave Hall - a Victorian house with lovely gardens and the Abbey Pumping Station.

The big museum on New Walk has Egypt, dinosaurs, an animal gallery, world cultures and lots of art. They've just opened a new German Expressionism gallery, the website suggests it's a very important collection. There is also the City Gallery which is also free.

http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/lc/leicester-city-museums/

The One Leicester website also has other suggestions for free things you can do in Leicester - http://www.oneleicester.com/uniquely/free-activities/
    Bored of Signatures
  • mharzuk
    The savings bank museum just over the border on the Scottish side is where the very first TSB was founded, quite apt news wise at the moment.
    Well worth a visit if passing and free (fully funded by Lloyds TSB Scotland)
    http://www.savingsbanksmuseum.co.uk/
    Couldn't think of anything witty to say so just keeping the space until I can
    Stripper No 7 in HCSC
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

236Posts Today

2,573Users online

Martin's Twitter