PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Toffee Vodka - sterile bottles?

Options
wannabe_sybil
wannabe_sybil Posts: 2,845 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 14 October 2009 at 5:11PM in Old style MoneySaving
I am going to make chilli vodka and toffee vodka. I have some rather posh bottles to put it in.

How sterile do they have to be? I have washed them in soapy water, do I need to boil them as well? They have swing tops which are a combination of plastic and metal so I am reluctant to try either microwave or oven method.

All help gratefully received.

Also will be making rosemary vinegar - will I need to do more than rinse an old white vinegar bottle out or should I sterilise that as well?

Many thanks.
Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When I make quince vodka and damson gin I just wash the bottles. I think since the finished product is probably 95% alcohol the chances of it going off are minimal.

I think your vinegar bottles will be fine just rinsed.
  • Nordictat2
    Nordictat2 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mmmm toffee vodka..how are you making that?
    :D *If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button* :D
  • Woofles
    Woofles Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Options
    Any thing that survives a chili vodka solution deserves to live in my opinion.:rotfl:
    Woofles you need to get out of that house. You are going insane:eek: - colinw

apologises for spelling mistakes - google toolbar and I have had a hissy fit and I've lost me spell checker.
  • esio_trot
    esio_trot Posts: 598 Forumite
    Options
    Nordictat2 wrote: »

exactly what I was thinking! The only flavoured vodka I know how to make is pouring a packet of skittles into a vodka bottle!
  • Nordictat2
    Nordictat2 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh...I just found this...

You need a very sweet toffee add to three quarters of a bottle of vodka. The best vodka for making flavoured vodkas with is Smirnoff Black Label. Put whatever flavour you are using in and leave it for about 2 weeks
    :D *If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button* :D
  • wannabe_sybil
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I am somewhat relieved - it was looking tricky to sterilise the bottles (lakeland sloe gin bottles, as you ask...:rolleyes:)

Toffee vodka - I have found it very successful with werther's originals smashed and left in vodka for short period of time. Drink with milk as a mixer.

Chilli vodka - I gave this once to my sister in law, who decided it 'blew her head off' and it was chillies effectively left in vodka. In retrospect perhaps I should have strained the chillies out after a month. :o

In the past I have just added the flavour to a bought half bottle of vodka, after decanting a small nip to make room (honest!)

The rosemary vinegar - I have a rosemary bush that needs pruning. Some of it is being handed out, some of it is being frozen and a very large sprig is ending up in vinegar to help season pasta and roast vegetables.

Thank you again for your help
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Nordictat2 wrote: »

Take 1 bottle and 1 bag of a well known hard toffee sweet loved by grandparents ......... remove 25% of vodka - usually easiest to pour a couple of strong vodka & cola's! Then smash said toffees into small pieces & feed into vodka bottle. Seal bottle and shake well. Shake well every day for a couple of weeks. The toffees will dissolve and leave a scrummy sticky sweet alcoholic beverage :drool::beer:
  • wannabe_sybil
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    Take 1 bottle and 1 bag of a well known hard toffee sweet loved by grandparents ......... remove 25% of vodka - usually easiest to pour a couple of strong vodka & cola's! Then smash said toffees into small pieces & feed into vodka bottle. Seal bottle and shake well. Shake well every day for a couple of weeks. The toffees will dissolve and leave a scrummy sticky sweet alcoholic beverage :drool::beer:

I seriously suggest that you dilute with milk, or something. You won't feel the need to, it is so scrumptious, but it is almost neat vodka. And very toothsome indeed.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    I seriously suggest that you dilute with milk, or something. You won't feel the need to, it is so scrumptious, but it is almost neat vodka. And very toothsome indeed.

It gest dished out in schnapps glasses in our home.....small doses!
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You need to sterilise the bottles as the alcohol content won't be enough to sterilise them and you risk the drink going bad or even a bout of 'food' poisoning.

I'd do it with boiling water from a kettle myself. Don't forget to sterilise the funnel you're using too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure