Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 19th May 06, 4:26 PM
    • 24,745Posts
    • 39,940Thanks
    lynzpower
    Roasting veg, idiots guide?
    • 19th May 06, 4:26 PM
    Roasting veg, idiots guide? 19th May 06 at 4:26 PM
    Hi all.

I am actually quite a good cook, but sometimes the basics go pearshaped. Heres another example.

I have for roasting for dinner later
    leeks
    mushrooms
    baby cherry toms
    carrots
    peppers
    butternut squash :confused: never cooked this before but meant to be nice, so i thought id buy one
    red onions

I dont know what I always do wrong but it always shrivvels & burns.

Whats going wrong?

I usually use olive oil. Shall I put some herbs in, what will go well, got the full range dried & growing in the garden? your thoughts appreciated as ever!
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
Page 1
  • mamaoba
    • 19th May 06, 4:51 PM
    • 19th May 06, 4:51 PM
    Chop em up, shove em on gas mark 4 for about 30 mins. I usually put my roasted veg on the shelf below the meat and tatties (I do these at gas mark 5-6).

The butternut squash is a pain to chop so I always roast it whole, then scoop it out afterwards. It takes a little longer than the rest done this way so I just pop it in 5 -10 mins before. Leftover butternut squash makes a wonderful rissotoo with a little parmesan (or any other cheese if that's all that's in the cupboard).

leftovers of the other veggies are wonderful with passatta for a pasta sauce or on top of pizza.

Rosemary sprigs (pop in with the veg) or fresh basil (just add as you serve so the leaves wilt) and roasted garlic (goes sweet and mild tasting when roasted) are gorg with your combo.

Sounds to me like you may just have the oven on too high.
    • jassi_9
    • By jassi_9 19th May 06, 5:04 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    jassi_9
    • 19th May 06, 5:04 PM
    • 19th May 06, 5:04 PM
    basically your trying to roast vegetables all at once that have very different cooking times (trust me im a life long vegetarian!)

the peppers take the longest, start with them first, probably with the carrots

mushrooms dont roast very well so why not fry them with the onions, becuase the onions release sugar when they are cooked slowly, and go very brown and dark, and tend to "tinge the rest of the food" so its not a good idea (unless u keep them away from the rest

also the tomatoes roast quicker, go soft and mushy, and again can ruin the rest as alot of water is released, so if u want to keep them fairly whole, add them later

dunno about the squash so id use the advice given by mamaoba, and ive never roasted leeks!

hope that helps!
  • moonrakerz
    • 19th May 06, 5:55 PM
    • 19th May 06, 5:55 PM
    Don't forget the sweet potatoes, swede, "ordinary" spuds, shallots and parsnips.
    Cut the longer cooking ones in smaller pieces, then they'll all be ready at the same time.
    • janb5
    • By janb5 19th May 06, 7:24 PM
    • 1,952 Posts
    • 7,065 Thanks
    janb5
    • 19th May 06, 7:24 PM
    • 19th May 06, 7:24 PM
    Sorry but I`mgoing to disagree with the earlierpost.I`ve used the recipeby Delia and she suggestscooking on maximum heat. She has a very goodrecipe in her book `Winter Collection`(page161 Roastedroots with herbs- it`spossibly on her site deliaonline. 30-40minutes on a high shelf,maximum heat. Delicious!

She uses half a swede, 4 carrots 4smallparsnips, red onions and red potatoes(but sweet work welltoo)

Hope it goes well.
  • ukbandit
    • 19th May 06, 10:39 PM
    • 19th May 06, 10:39 PM
    i chop everything u[p tpgether and chuck some pesto in...hmmmm....nice....!

30 minutes 180-200, just keep an eye on tehm and tosss half way through
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 19th May 06, 11:06 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 19th May 06, 11:06 PM
    • 19th May 06, 11:06 PM
    I oven roast mushrooms, courgettes, red and green peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes and sliced garlic in a very high heat in the oven drizzled with a little olive oil.

I always add the cherry tomatoes about 10 minutes before the end of cooking or they do go mushy. Oven roasted veg need a close eye kept on them, so I find it handy to cook them before we are ready to eat and pop them back in (in the serving dish) to reaheat for a few minutes before I'm ready to serve the meal.

Pink
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 20th May 06, 8:28 AM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    • 20th May 06, 8:28 AM
    • 20th May 06, 8:28 AM
    OK, it worked!!

I started by roasting the squash and the carrots from the off. then added the mushrooms & peppers & leeks about 20 mins later then the tomatoes about 10 mins before serviing. I had them in for about an hour adn a half on a low heat and they were perfect. due to some being med veg, and some being root veg i did the root first as they were denser.

Everything was perfect, and lovely and sweet. Very well recieved by the guests, and now II know I can do it properly! Although someone needs to invent a peeler for squash, impossible!
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • Wizwoo
    • By Wizwoo 20th May 06, 8:41 AM
    • 669 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Wizwoo
    • 20th May 06, 8:41 AM
    • 20th May 06, 8:41 AM
    Next time try to keep the mushrooms whole (if they're a decent size) and mix a bit of butter, parsley and crushed garlic - spoldge a bit on each - yummy roasted garlic mushrooms.
    We bought some flat mushrooms for this but works equally well with others and they cooking down really well along with the other veggies.

What did you think of the butternut squash - it goes really sweet when it's roasted - yummy!
  • frugalfairy
    Just a quick note - I never peel butternut squash if I'm roasting it. The skin tastes just as good and it's a lot less work. I scrub the squash then chop it into either slices (the long thinnish end) or when I get to the seedy bit, I scoop out the seeds and then chop the rest into smallish pieces. It's just as delicious roasted like that, and a lot less hard on the hands

HTH

FF
  • miaxmia
    I usually part cook my veg. in the microwave first then pop them in the oven for about 15 minutes, topped with a knob of butter (or can't believe it's not butter in my case) and some season-all.
  • Thriftylady
    Roast veg such as butternut squash, red peppers, onions (basically anything that turns sweet and caramelised) are lovely if you put a wee splash of balsamic vinegar over them along with the oil before you put them in the oven.

Thriftygent does a lovely dish like where he roasts lots of different veg in balsamic vinegar and olive oil and then stirs them into cous cous when they're done. yummy....
    • HopeElizzy
    • By HopeElizzy 20th May 06, 10:07 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    HopeElizzy
    This may help in the future if you're trying different veg:

Asparagus/Courgettes 15mins
    Aubergine discs 20-30mins
    Baby Beets 40mins
    Carrots/Parsnips 35-40 mins
    Cherry Toms/onions/halved peppers 20mins
    Fennel 30mins
    Pumpkin/squash/sweet potatoes 45-60mins

These are timings from the dinner lady's book - she puts the oven on 200c/400f/Gas 6
    Hope this helps someone.
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
    • MATH
    • By MATH 20th May 06, 11:46 AM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    I par-cook potatoes, carrots, onion quaters and corn cobs in the micro and chuck peppers and mushrooms in raw. 40 mins at 230 is about right for me. 15 mins before the end of cooking I add tomatoes, brocolli and sugar snaps. The brocolli goes really chared and black around the edges (YUM). Rosemary and bay leaves go in at this time with loits of cracked black pepper. Once cooked I stir in a couple of good blobs of half fat creme fraiche and serve with cous cous, rice or pasta. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • Chell
    • By Chell 25th May 06, 10:11 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    I'm starving after reading all these suggestions, they sound yummy.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,918Posts Today

6,868Users online

Martin's Twitter