Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    winniewy
    buying house advise needed
    • 13th May 06, 11:16 AM
    buying house advise needed 13th May 06 at 11:16 AM
    hi everybody, i hope someone can give me some advise on buying (or not to buy) our first house.

basically, I and my boyfriend family are all from Hong Kong, I am staying in England because my bf's sister is still in uni and my boyfriend was asked to stay and take care of her, so we both staying.(her sister will be finishing after 2 years) After this year, we no longer a student, so we need to rent the house privatly, it will cost us around 650 pound to rent a house.

But then, my bf's family start thinking about buying a house, my bf's family is able to pay for the deposit, and then we can pay for the mortgage ourselves, we have already quote for the mortgage, which is around 700pounds a month.

The problem now started! Me and my bf still haven't think of settle down in england, as we are still young and my family are all in Hong Kong. But then my bf's sister, who is going out with a guy for 3 month, have already thinking of moving out of the house with her bf after she has finished uni and rent another flat or house. That's mean after 2 years, there will be no one living in the house. So we might have to let it or sell it.

Do you guys think we should buy the house for only 2 years and then sell it or let it? Is it worth 'invest' a house for 2 years?

I am really sorry with my poor english. If anyone can help will be appreciated.
Page 1
    • Mrs Optimist
    • By Mrs Optimist 13th May 06, 4:14 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    Mrs Optimist
    • 13th May 06, 4:14 PM
    • 13th May 06, 4:14 PM
    By the sounds of things no-one is going to want to live in the house long-term so I would just rent. The market is unstable at moment and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a downturn in house prices. You will also forego the added expense of stamp duty, solictors fees (for both buying and selling) and interest on any mortgage even if you only have it for 2 years. If you were planning on staying longterm my opinion may differ but as it stands I would just rent.
  • movieman
    • 13th May 06, 5:51 PM
    • 13th May 06, 5:51 PM
    Do you guys think we should buy the house for only 2 years and then sell it or let it? Is it worth 'invest' a house for 2 years?
    Only if you're convinced that there will be a significant rise in house prices in that time. Otherwise you'll be paying maintenance, stamp duty, solicitors' fees and lots of other costs that you wouldn't pay when renting for no benefit... and if prices drop, you'll lose thousands.

IMHO buying a house to live in for two years usually only makes financial sense in the early stages of a housing bubble. If prices are stable you lose in fees, if they're dropping you lose even more.
    • Bf109
    • By Bf109 13th May 06, 6:51 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    Bf109
    • 13th May 06, 6:51 PM
    • 13th May 06, 6:51 PM
    Its not worth buying somewhere for only 2 years.

If its less than 250,000 then you are looking at 5,000 costs. If its over then you are looking at paying 10,000.

Why not find a place to rent for 850 per month instead?
  • winniewy
    • 14th May 06, 12:35 AM
    • 14th May 06, 12:35 AM
    thanks for all of your advise.

basically i am living in an area that with loads of student population and I can see the houses are gone quickly after they went onto the market(with a good location, houses usually gone in 2 weeks). That's why we thinking the housing market in our area is quite good.

And this is why we are stuggling with making decision.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,757Posts Today

7,671Users online

Martin's Twitter