Lowell Portfolio 1 Limited

Options
Hi there,

I am desperately hoping someone can give me some advice on this matter as it is now keeping me up at night!!

I received a letter last week from Lowell Group on behlaf of Lowell Portfolio 1 Limited stating they were chasing an outstanding barclaycard debt, which I hadn't had any dealings with for over 4/5 years. To be honest, I thought it had been paid off, but it appears as though it hasn't. It was also asking for much more than I thought the original Barclaycard debt was for. Anyhow, I immediately telephoned as I have never received any letters like this before (I am usually really good at ensuring I pay my debts) and I was scared that they would send the baliffs round at any moment! They wanted payment in full or payment over 6 months and as they debt is for nearly £3000, I haven't got that sort of money to just hand over. I said I would get something sorted and ring them back.

They then rang again at the end of the week asking for their money, which I told them I didn't have yet. They therefore asked me many questions about my personal situation and wanted me to make a payment of £100 and set up a direct debit for the same amount each month until I can get back to them with full payment. In my nievity I did this!! I have since been on the net and searched Lowell and found numerous sites about this company and what scam artists they are!! I wish I had done that before phonining them, which I now know I shouldn't have done!

What I would like help with, is does anyone know what I can do now? Do I have to stump up the whole amount as I have already spoken to them and therefore inadvertidly admitted liability for the debt? Can I try and agree a settlment figure as a full and final settlement? And if I do this, will they later persure me for the difference? Is it too late to send the CCA letter?

Sorry for the essay, but any help would be grately appreciated. I am anticipating another harrasing telephone call from them any day now!!

Thanks, desperate mum of one and bump x

Comments

• Ed_Zep
    Ed_Zep Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mumandbump,

I had "dealings" with this company. They are scam artists. It might be worth talking to your local Trading Standards office.

I'd also advise signing up to creditexpert.co.uk if you haven't already.

I received notification of a supposed debt from them. I sent the request of proof letters you can find on the net and they couldn't prove anything. They closed the case but not before putting a default on my report. I contacted Experian and they got it removed by writing to Lowell's.

Don't take their phone calls. Fortunately, I was always out of the house when they called, so they just wrote to me.

Do not let these people intimidate you because that's what they rely on.

Ed.
  • parrot48
    Options
    mumandbump wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am desperately hoping someone can give me some advice on this matter as it is now keeping me up at night!!

I received a letter last week from Lowell Group on behlaf of Lowell Portfolio 1 Limited stating they were chasing an outstanding barclaycard debt, which I hadn't had any dealings with for over 4/5 years. To be honest, I thought it had been paid off, but it appears as though it hasn't. It was also asking for much more than I thought the original Barclaycard debt was for. Anyhow, I immediately telephoned as I have never received any letters like this before (I am usually really good at ensuring I pay my debts) and I was scared that they would send the baliffs round at any moment! They wanted payment in full or payment over 6 months and as they debt is for nearly £3000, I haven't got that sort of money to just hand over. I said I would get something sorted and ring them back.

They then rang again at the end of the week asking for their money, which I told them I didn't have yet. They therefore asked me many questions about my personal situation and wanted me to make a payment of £100 and set up a direct debit for the same amount each month until I can get back to them with full payment. In my nievity I did this!! I have since been on the net and searched Lowell and found numerous sites about this company and what scam artists they are!! I wish I had done that before phonining them, which I now know I shouldn't have done!

What I would like help with, is does anyone know what I can do now? Do I have to stump up the whole amount as I have already spoken to them and therefore inadvertidly admitted liability for the debt? Can I try and agree a settlment figure as a full and final settlement? And if I do this, will they later persure me for the difference? Is it too late to send the CCA letter?

Sorry for the essay, but any help would be grately appreciated. I am anticipating another harrasing telephone call from them any day now!!

Thanks, desperate mum of one and bump x

Hi I to was plagued by letters from lowell and then red dept collectors who are a trademark of lowell the dept was for a barclaycard loan which was nearly 20years old. I realise i may have rights that after six years you do not legally have to repay a loan but i wanted to improve my credit rating and so i gave in eventually and i pay the dept by direct debit at £5 pds per month its not much but no more letters its worth it. I just hope this clears it up and they dont scam me for more than i owe!!. Hope this helps
  • MLFC
    Options
    Hi there. I have a similar issue. just received a letter claiming I owe nearly 1700 from a bank debt from October 2005. I honestly thought all my uni debts were all cleared now but ive not received any notice of this until now. Not sure how to proceed. Ive seen in other forums that after 6yrs, the debt could be wiped out assuming no ccj? ive checked my experien report n this debt is appearing, but no CCJ's.
    This scares me now as im looking to get a mortgage next yr n ideally looking to improve my credit rating throughout this yr, and not sure what to do.
    I dont have history of my financials from 5 yrs ago, and ideally i dont not want to pay this debt unless its going to be proved it has not been paid. is this a feasible option? Or Im thinking I should not ackowledge this letter since the 6 yrs time period comes to and end this October, so in theory it should fall off my credit report right?

Any advise appreciated, pls help! :)
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Shred the letters & ignore them .

DO NOT CALL or in anyway acknowledge the letter .

Lowells /Red / Moorcroft Are the same company , and make their money by " intimidating & threatening

Any debit that they " allege is outstanding " would be barred after 6 years anyway :)
  • handyman123_2
    Options
    mumandbump wrote: »

It was also asking for much more than I thought the original Barclaycard debt was for.

They wanted payment in full or payment over 6 months and as they debt is for nearly £3000

Is it too late to send the CCA letter?

Hi mumandbump, you can ask for your CCA at anytime. when they can't provide it after 12 + 2 days the account goes into dispute until they can provide it.

As you say the debt seems to be larger than the original, they have probably added interest and charges, you need to know how these are accrued.

As they are pushing to clear things up in 6 months and as you say you haven't had dealings with Sharkley Card for 4-5 years it may be that the date is nearing Statute Barred.

You need to send them the Prove it Letter, keep all communication with them in writing, tell them you won't deal with them on the phone and only sign your letters digitally.
    Here is a link to the letters you will need.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=24040085&postcount=1

There is a lot of help here. If you can't get them to drop the claim at least you will be in a better position to negotiate affordable payments or a much reduced full and final payment.

Hope this helps.
    Regards to you and your Bump, Handy.
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.
  • handyman123_2
    Options
    parrot48 wrote: »
    Hi I to was plagued by letters from lowell and then red dept collectors who are a trademark of lowell the dept was for a barclaycard loan which was nearly 20years old. I realise i may have rights that after six years you do not legally have to repay a loan but i wanted to improve my credit rating and so i gave in eventually and i pay the dept by direct debit at £5 pds per month its not much but no more letters its worth it. I just hope this clears it up and they dont scam me for more than i owe!!. Hope this helps

Hi parrot48, I've just had a look at your post, I can appreciate how you want to improve your credit rating and power to you for clearing an old debt.
    I just wanted to make sure you realize that when a debt has become statute barred i.e No payment or written acknowledgement for a period of 6 years (5 in Scotland). The debt cannot be made un-barred by making a payment.

If your debt was lets say 1k Lowell probably paid £200 for it. So when you feel they have received enough you could stop paying them, they can ask you to continue but they can't enforce the debt by taking you to court. There are posts that will tell you how to deal with the black marks on your credit report.

Also I don't know if you realize that some Barclay Card agreements going back to the early 90's were illegal as the terms and conditions were not on the same page as your signature. I cant find the link but there is some info on the forum which basically says that from day one of getting your card they could not have enforced payment at anytime.

Once more well done for wanting to clear your debt, I just want to make sure you are aware of your rights and therefore in a stronger position to deal with the Sharks.

Regards, Handy.
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.
  • grandma28_2
    Options
    Does anyone know how I can contact LOWELL PORTFOLIO please...Address and or phone no..
  • nellies_2
    Options
    Hi all, these collection companies are just trying it on, and most of the time people will pay, just to stop the letters or phone calls, and they will try anything to get the money your due ( to the original creditor ) You should send them a letter asking them for proof of contract between your self and the third party collection agency, ( which they cannot give you ) as you never signed a contract with Lowell, moorcroft, or any other third party collector... You will get more demand letters but you can then simply ask them to stop harrassing or you will report them to trading standards.... your only contract is with the original lender.....
    Simply put... if you borrowed money from a friend, and the friend sold that debt to Joe bloggs telling him he could charge interest on it, then joe bloggs sent you a letter saying you owed him money because he bought your debt,, would you pay him ?? you would ask to see the contract you signed for Joe Bloggs, wouldn't you ?? and if theres no contract, then theres no obligation, is there ??:beer:
  • freshstart11
    freshstart11 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    I do agree in a lot of cases they do try it on but on the other hand i do feel a lot of people hide behind "oh they are scam artists"

I had one last debt to sort out (was not priority) and the company sold/sent it to lowell. Due to a dmp put in place by myself I offered them £5 a month with a review suggested by me and they didnt not chase me they had sent me two emails and I owed the money.

Its the people who say they cant pay agencies when the know they owe the money who annoy me - sorry lol
    Official DFD: Dec 29
    Challenge DFD: July 23
    Debts Cleared: 1/13
    Building EF: £20/£600 3%
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,931 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 April 2014 at 6:46PM
    Options
    nellies wrote: »
    Hi all, these collection companies are just trying it on, and most of the time people will pay, just to stop the letters or phone calls, and they will try anything to get the money your due ( to the original creditor ) You should send them a letter asking them for proof of contract between your self and the third party collection agency, ( which they cannot give you ) as you never signed a contract with Lowell, moorcroft, or any other third party collector... You will get more demand letters but you can then simply ask them to stop harrassing or you will report them to trading standards.... your only contract is with the original lender.....
    Simply put... if you borrowed money from a friend, and the friend sold that debt to Joe bloggs telling him he could charge interest on it, then joe bloggs sent you a letter saying you owed him money because he bought your debt,, would you pay him ?? you would ask to see the contract you signed for Joe Bloggs, wouldn't you ?? and if theres no contract, then theres no obligation, is there ??:beer:
    NO, NO, NO, this is incorrect advise and can lead to the OP getting a CCJ without her even knowing it !!

You should send them this letter here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

You should never ignore a letter from a DCA, the idea is to know how to respond to it, if you choose to ignore, Lowell can go to court, get a county court judgement, without you even knowing about it.
    Send them the above letter, see what comes back, Lowell are hopeless at getting correct paperwork, repost when you have a response.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure