Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • mags50
    • 5th Apr 06, 8:57 PM
    Hi Mandy
    I usually put mine in the freezer with 'raw' pastry and let them defrost well before I cook them... thats if they're meat pies..

Fruit pies... I do either... raw or cooked

Maybe others do differently... but I really only use shortcrust pastry.... I did try a meat pie with cooked puff pastry and erm... how shall I put it... lol... it was more like a burnt offering by the time I had got it warmed through again!... but thats probably just my cooking!

HTH
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 5th Apr 06, 8:57 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    I sometimes make chicken, chicken and mushroom pies and I usually freeze them after cooking. Once defrosted I warm them up in the over - not microwave as the pastry goes a bit soft - as I have an old microwave!

However there is nothing wrong in freezing with the pastry raw. Once you have made the filling which obviously is cooked, once it has cooled you can put the pie in the freezer before cooking the pastry.

Sometimes when I make apple tarts I put them in the freezer before cooking. Nothing wrong with freezing pastry.
    Hope that helps.
  • mandy_moo_1
    • 6th Apr 06, 3:03 PM
    • 6th Apr 06, 3:03 PM
    Thanx for both your replies. I was gonna make chicken pies and corned beef & potato, so i think i'll try cooking 'em first, then freezing them, and see how they turn out :rolleyes:

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 6th Apr 06, 3:42 PM
    • 6,911 Posts
    • 45,132 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 6th Apr 06, 3:42 PM
    • 6th Apr 06, 3:42 PM
    I let my fillings cool before putting in the pastry and then freeze when cool, I just cook from frozen with a bit of an egg wash.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • taplady
    • By taplady 6th Apr 06, 4:03 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    • 6th Apr 06, 4:03 PM
    • 6th Apr 06, 4:03 PM
    I always cook my chicken pies before freezing
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
  • ladygrey
    • 6th Apr 06, 6:36 PM
    • 6th Apr 06, 6:36 PM
    I freeze either way

and if I have any leftover pastry I freeze that too
  • finc
    • 6th Apr 06, 6:43 PM
    • 6th Apr 06, 6:43 PM
    I freeze either way

and if I have any leftover pastry I freeze that too
    by ladygrey
    I remember my mum freezing batches of pastry when I was little. I still can't make pastry though, it always seems to fall apart.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 6th Apr 06, 7:20 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 6th Apr 06, 7:20 PM
    • 6th Apr 06, 7:20 PM
    I remember my mum freezing batches of pastry when I was little. I still can't make pastry though, it always seems to fall apart.
    by finc
    Try adding a bit more water to the mix.

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 6th Apr 06, 7:37 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    Does anyone have a good recipie for a good chicken pie that can be done this way?
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • HOLsale
    Thanx for both your replies. I was gonna make chicken pies and corned beef & potato, so i think i'll try cooking 'em first, then freezing them, and see how they turn out :rolleyes:
    by mandy_moo_1

i recommend undercooking them so that when you heat them up they then get done to perfection... i have a piemaker and when i get it out i make loads of pies and freeze them like that
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
    • pol
    • By pol 7th Apr 06, 10:26 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    I usually cook them before freezing. When I want to use them I find it easier to microwave them till hot and then put them in the oven on high for 5 minutes to crisp up the pastry. Quicker than cooking from raw when you're hungry!

pol
  • rubberbiscuit
    Freezing pies/pasties.
    Ive found a tasty recipe for wholemeal veggie pasties but I will need to freeze most of them. What is the best way of freezing pies/pasties??
    Should I cook them first or freeze uncooked??
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 21st Mar 12, 11:42 AM
    • 4,762 Posts
    • 10,463 Thanks
    rosie383
    I don't know what the best way is, but if I am doing a batch of them, and have the oven on anyway, I just bake them all at once, then wrap and freeze cooked.
    Something I have just figured out recently which may help some...... if I have baked them and the pasties are well cooked but still slightly doughy on the bottom, when I am reheating them, I put them on a dry frying pan on a low-med heat until they are well heated through. By that time, the base is as crispy as you would like, without the top getting any browner!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 21st Mar 12, 8:33 PM
    • 6,447 Posts
    • 47,315 Thanks
    joedenise
    I think they're best cooked before freezing. The pastry can go a bit soggy when you defrost them if they've been frozen raw.

Denise
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 21st Mar 12, 9:21 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 9,428 Thanks
    Linda32
    Yes, I would cook them fully, then freeze and defrost overnight in the fridge and re-heat in the oven. In my oven an individual pie would take 30 mins at gas mark 6 to re-heat

HTH
  • emilykf
    Advice on freezing home-made pies please!
    Afternoon all, I'm after some advice/suggestions please! I've currently got pie fillings bubbling away on the hob, steak & kidney for me and steak & mushroom for OH (he doesn't like offal, the big baby). I'm planning on making 2 individual pies for our tea tonight, and freezing 2, but not sure the best way to go about it?

For the frozen ones, I was planning on cooling the filling in individual pie dishes, putting the pastry on top and freezing them like that (ie pastry raw), but not sure whether that's better than cooking all 4 and freezing 2? Any suggestions gratefully received
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 19th Jan 13, 3:18 PM
    • 36,574 Posts
    • 47,182 Thanks
    McKneff
    No difference either way to be honest, just which is easiest for you.

When you want to take them out of the freezer its just a case of do you want to cook them from scratch (raw) or just warm them through (cooked)

Or you could invite me round and I'll eat the other two for you to save you having to decide

Sounds delicious. Mark them differently so you know which is which when you take them out though.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 19th Jan 13, 3:22 PM
    • 19,402 Posts
    • 49,226 Thanks
    elsien
    I'd freeze them with the pasty raw, but that's probably because I prefer pastry freshly cooked rather than reheated.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 19th Jan 13, 3:23 PM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 12,058 Thanks
    krlyr
    Personally I'd freeze raw just so the pastry wasn't twice-cooked, but that's just me

Edit: Snap!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,965Posts Today

7,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin