Bank account for under 16’s

My daughter, who will 16 in 5 weeks, has just got a Saturday job and has been asked to have a current account to have her wages paid in to. I looked into my current bank (First Direct) but she’d have a £10 a month charge with them. Can anyone recommend a bank account that she can set up which ideally can be accessed on line and provide debit card etc, or are they not available for the under 16’s?
Regards

JackRS

Comments

• willo65
    willo65 Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Natwest you have to be 16 for online banking, not sure about the rest. So if she doesn't mind waiting to access online for 5 weeks than thats an option.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Most banks will give online access, and a debit card, to a 15 year old. Halifax have a good online banking system, and she will get a Visa Electron card, and HSBC's online banking is reportedly good too.
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rb10 wrote: »
    HSBC's online banking is reportedly good too.
    I'd choose HSBC just for their internet banking, if nothing else. It is very easy to use and works "live", i.e. you see full details about transactions as you would from an ATM/bank counter (unlike some other banks/building societies where the system updates to give the full details overnight). Under 16 account (not sure what it is called these days) gives a Visa debit card.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    I'd choose HSBC just for their internet banking, if nothing else. It is very easy to use and works "live", i.e. you see full details about transactions as you would from an ATM/bank counter (unlike some other banks/building societies where the system updates to give the full details overnight). Under 16 account (not sure what it is called these days) gives a Visa debit card.

Same reasons as why I suggested Halifax, theirs is a 'live' system, and very easy and straightforward to use.

There's very little between the different current accounts for kids at the end of the day. Once she's in a full time job, then she can shop around to find the best for her, as then there are much bigger differences, mainly in terms of the interest rates on adult current accounts.
  • JackRS
    JackRS Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's a few interesting ideas there to consider, I appreciate your views.
    Regards

JackRS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family