Difference between ESA and Income Support

Options
Hi, as title says really. I've just applied to ESA this morning but having spoken to a friend she has mentioned that I could have applied for income support instead but I have no idea what the difference is and can't seem to work it out from the info available online.

If it is of any help, I have been given a Med 3 form stating that I should refrain from work for 8 weeks which will be reviewed when it comes to an end.

Thanks

Comments

• NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    ESA is if you cant work due to illness.

Income Support can be claimed if you are a lone parent, a carer and some other circumstances.
  • matt1234
    matt1234 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply.

My ocnfusion arises because of this:

What is Income Support?

This is extra money to help people on a low income.
    It is for people who don't have to sign on as unemployed.
    This could be if you are:
    • sick or disabled
    • a lone parent responsible for a child under 12 years of age
    • a carer, or
    • registered blind.
    Surely sick and disabled is what ESA is for? There is no guideline as to which one I should be applying for out there :S Or do I apply for both?
  • NASA_2
    Options
    If you were 'sick or disabled' before the 27th of October 2008 then you would have claimed Income Support along with Incapacity Benefit. Since that date ESA has taken over claims for sickness.

There are also some circumstances where you might still claim Income Support for sickness but only where a previous period of sickness (And Claiming Incapacity) links to the new period.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Income support in the past was granted to people who didn't qualify for incapacity benefit because they hadn't paid enough national insurance.

I don't know much about the new esa benefit, but as ESA states, it's the one you have to claim when unable to work through sickness.

Are you a lone parent?
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • matt1234
    Options
    cattie wrote: »

Are you a lone parent?

No....

So I should definitely not be applying for Income Support if I am unable to work due to illness?
  • NASA_2
    Options
    matt1234 wrote: »
    No....

So I should definitely not be applying for Income Support if I am unable to work due to illness?
    Pretty much.

Have you claimed Incapacity Benefit within the last two years?
  • matt1234
    Options
    ESA wrote: »
    Pretty much.

Have you claimed Incapacity Benefit within the last two years?

Nope, I have never received benefits in my life.

Also you say that ESA now replaces IB + IS for sick people, I am assuming that these people (me included) are now receiving much less money than they would have in the past right?
  • NASA_2
    Options

Also you say that ESA now replaces IB + IS for sick people, I am assuming that these people (me included) are now receiving much less money than they would have in the past right?
    I'm not sure of the current IB rates but ESA does start off at a lower rate of benefit than IB does.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2009 at 11:27PM
    Options

Yes if you are under 35 you will be quite a bit worse off than if you had received IB with the higher age addition but they are reducing/eliminating the age addition so eventually everyone will be worse off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure