Income Support - how long to process claim?

Options
Hi guys,

I put in a claim for Income Support two weeks ago as my husband and I have separated and he has moved out of the marital home, I have two children aged seven and one, and am currently a full-time mam. I was just wondering how long it normally takes to process a claim? The whole benefits system is a bit of a mystery to me as i'm a first-time claimant, and I have to say it's not sitting too well with me! I'm really hoping that the hubby and I will work things out but if we don't I intend to go back to work part-time as I want to set a good example to my kids and meet some new people; it's just for this first couple of months really while I get my head straight. Could anyone advise me on how long I should expect to wait for my claim to go through? My dad has lent me some money to see me over til it does but I'd rather pay him back as soon as I can x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its probably going to take longer than normal as the whole benefits system is buckling under the strain with the massive increase in claimants due to the current problems in the economy.Having said that i would chase them up every 4/5 days and see how your claim is progressing.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    My claim took about 10 days but if it has been 2 weeks I would chase them up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure