Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Dec 04, 1:04 PM
    • 20,531 Posts
    • 34,268 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 10th Dec 04, 1:04 PM
    Re: School days recipes
    • 10th Dec 04, 1:04 PM
    You can buy chocolate crunch where i am (doncaster, S,yorks) from a chain of bakers called cooplands.

Don't know if they have have any branches outside Doncaster though :-/
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 10th Dec 04, 3:33 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    • 10th Dec 04, 3:33 PM
    • 10th Dec 04, 3:33 PM
    I've made gypsy tart. You need a pastry shell, bought or made, and basically you whisk up brown sugar and evaporated milk till it's thick, pour it into the shell and bake slowly until it's set.
    Manchester Tart is a pastry with a layer of red jam (any sort) a layer of thick custard, and coconut spread on top, and baked. We love it!
  • halloweenqueen
    • 12th Dec 04, 10:34 PM
    • 12th Dec 04, 10:34 PM
    Gypsy tart - dark muscovado sugar and evaporated milk, whisk for 10 minutes then put it in a recently turned off oven to set and its great - its in one of gary rhodes cook books - my mum used to make it years ago and you can't beat it - well you can for 10 minutes!! Any less and its not as good!
  • halloweenqueen
    • 12th Dec 04, 10:36 PM
    • 12th Dec 04, 10:36 PM
    Does anyone else remember the white bubbly sauce served with desserts? I'm starting to think it was a figment of my imagination! It was lovely light and creamy and usually got served with some big cookies or something - I've never been able to find anything like it?
    • By 16011996 13th Dec 04, 11:43 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 13th Dec 04, 11:43 AM
    • 13th Dec 04, 11:43 AM
    I've made gypsy tart. !You need a pastry shell, bought or made, and basically you whisk up brown sugar and evaporated milk till it's thick, pour it into the shell and bake slowly until it's set.
    Manchester Tart is a pastry with a layer of red jam (any sort) a layer of thick custard, and coconut spread on top, and baked. !We love it!

our manchester tart has bananas sliced on top of the jam and beneath the custard, does anyone else do this?
    • catznine
    • By catznine 14th Dec 04, 1:38 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 14th Dec 04, 1:38 PM
    • 14th Dec 04, 1:38 PM
    Does anyone have a recipe for the sweet "fake" cream we used to get piped on our desserts? I used to love that!
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 15th Dec 04, 12:59 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 15th Dec 04, 12:59 PM
    • 15th Dec 04, 12:59 PM
    that on gypsy tart was FAB!

its a kind of mock cream isnt it? I have often wondered how to recreate it and looking at the gypsytart recipe I am wondering if it was something like evaporated milk whizzed up with something?

I also used to like cheese pie - did anyone else have that? (and no, its not quiche)
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 15th Dec 04, 3:00 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 15th Dec 04, 3:00 PM
    • 15th Dec 04, 3:00 PM
    traffic light tarts
    hot rice pud with jam
    beef cobbler
    steamed jam pudding
    homemade crisps
    yum! I was only discussing school dinners yesterday with my 7 year old. We had a proper cook and she made all the food, and thats not MANY years ago, only in the 1970s. We always had Fish on a friday (church tradition) and the only thing i didnt like was the fish pie.

Had a steamed pud last night, its a doddle. for 4 greedy people you need 2 eggs, then weigh the eggs and use the same weight in self raising flour, margarine or vegetable oil and sugar, for example the eggs i used weighed 4oz in total so it was 4oz each of everything else. Plonk a nice big dollop of jam or marmalade into a pudding basin, then add the other, beaten ingredients. Steam, having covered the basin with foil or greaseproof paper, for about 2 hours
    Eat whilst lawsuit inducingly hot ;D
  • Galtizz
    I also used to like cheese pie - did anyone else have that? (and no, its not quiche)
    I remember eating and making (in cookery class) cheese and potato pie. It came in pale green oval individual dishes. I think it was just mashed potato with grated cheese mixed in (it might have had a wisked egg in as well) cheese on top and put in the oven.

Is that the same thing Vanoonoo?
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 15th Dec 04, 4:30 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    naaah
    we had cheese pie and schools still do it, pastry with a really cheesy greasy filling but definitely not a quiche and definitely much nicer ;D
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 15th Dec 04, 4:32 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    just found this - recipe for chocolate concrete ;D
    http://www.highbeam.com/library/doc0.asp?docid=1G1:96127300&refid=ink_puballtn ews&skeyword=&teaser=

edited for ... this - about the earliest school meals...
    http://www.learningcurve.gov.uk/snapshots/snapshot29/snapshot29.htm
    • By 16011996 16th Dec 04, 7:46 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    mmm, choclate concrete, lol, gotta try that.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 16th Dec 04, 8:05 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    was ours the only school where you had to hammer at it with a fork, and if you werent careful the chocolate crunch would ping out of the bowl. Only the pink 'custard' saved the day !
    My sis and I were moneysavers even as teenagers, and at upper school we had school dinners (paying) It was a canteen system so there wasnt a set price. We used to have a baked spud and a bowl of custard, until the dinnerladies stopped us : They would have to let us do it now i suppose, freedom of choice and all that.
    • By 16011996 16th Dec 04, 8:48 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    at high school, i used to have baked spud, salad and glass of milk cos it was cheap, but healthy at least.
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 19th Dec 04, 1:22 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    I was thinking the other day about one of my favourite school puddings which was a large rectangular piece of plain sponge with pink or white icing on the top. I used to love this!

(We all used to look with envy at the chocolate eclairs that were there too but these were for teachers only!)
    Last edited by beachbeth; 21-09-2006 at 7:59 AM.
    • By 16011996 20th Dec 04, 8:57 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    we had that too. it was yum, and one with jam and coconut on the top.
  • halloweenqueen
    Good grief - I'd forgotten the pig bin - blanked it from my memory - we had to scrape our plates into a stainless steel bowl :-X - it was gross - the best ever reason to eat all your dinner!
    Nobody know a recipe for the white sweet sauce :'(
    • By 16011996 23rd Dec 04, 12:10 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    yes i do know one, don't know if its same is on my xmas pud thread, i'll bump it for you. ;D
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 23rd Dec 04, 12:47 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo

I remember eating and making (in cookery class) cheese and potato pie. !It came in pale green oval individual dishes. !I think it was just mashed potato with grated cheese mixed in (it might have had a wisked egg in as well) cheese on top and put in the oven.

Is that the same thing Vanoonoo?
    not quite - sounds like Ssaver had the same cheese pie that I had! heehee. I've never been able to recreate it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,148Posts Today

6,921Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin