cancelling Income support claim etc...?

Options
I am going to be cancelling my IS claim,but am a bit confused about when i am supposed to do this.
The short story is-i am getting back together with my sons father,and we have agreed to move back in with each other in the next few weeks.

I rang my local IS office and they said that i should wait until my circumstances actually change-as in the day i move back in with him,i should call and cancel my IS and inform tax credits of my new circumstances etc...

Technically we are together now,and even though we are not living together or anything,am i still entitled to claim my IS until we move back in together? :confused:
I always thought that once you were in a relationship etc then really you couldnt be classed as single anymore and wouldnt be entitled to claim?
But the woman on the phone said that for the time being i am still living in my own house,on my own with my son and am therefore still entitled until the day i move,is this right? :confused:
Surely if i dont cancel my claim before i move and wait until the day ive moved in,this is fraud?! Even if only for a day :confused:
Having a coke with you
is even more fun than going to San Sebastian, Irun, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne
or being sick to my stomach on the Travesera de Gracia in Barcelona

Comments

• bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Is he paying any of your bills, or buying your shopping for you?

Or has he started informing agencies etc that he has moved back in with you?

If none of those apply yet and he is still paying for another home, then I think you are ok for now tbh.

I'd be careful tough, as you don't have it in writing. If you are concerned then write to them and see how they reply.

How long have you been separated?
  • Damzel_In_Distress
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    Is he paying any of your bills, or buying your shopping for you?

Or has he started informing agencies etc that he has moved back in with you?

If none of those apply yet and he is still paying for another home, then I think you are ok for now tbh.

I'd be careful tough, as you don't have it in writing. If you are concerned then write to them and see how they reply.

How long have you been separated?

Well he lives in the house we both used to live in that is owned.
    Hes not paying any of my bills,he hasnt given me anything but normal child maintenance-hes not stopped paying it or anything yet as technically we are still living serperatly.

Weve been seperated since before our son was even born...so its around 3 years.
    Having a coke with you
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add - congratulations! Hope it works out for you all.
  • bestpud
    Options
    Sounds as though it will be fine as far as benefits go.

Gosh, that is a long time apart. Have you been friends all along? If so, did it get strained at all?

Don't answer if you don't want to - I'm just being nosey! :D
  • Damzel_In_Distress
    Options
    Sounds as though it will be fine as far as benefits go.

Gosh, that is a long time apart. Have you been friends all along? If so, did it get strained at all?

Don't answer if you don't want to - I'm just being nosey! :D

Yes weve always been quite good friends-his dad died around the time i got pregnant with our son and to be honest he really did go a bit mental.

We have always tried to act like a sort of family for our son-we were making an effort to take him out together once every two weeks if we could do to something as a family so our son felt secure.

Just before christmas last year we went out a couple of times for a drink or a meal and one thing leads to another..Its taken a few months to sort out all the finer details,because we didnt want to rush into anything really.
    Having a coke with you
  • bestpud
    Options
    Yes weve always been quite good friends-his dad died around the time i got pregnant with our son and to be honest he really did go a bit mental.

We have always tried to act like a sort of family for our son-we were making an effort to take him out together once every two weeks if we could do to something as a family so our son felt secure.

Just before christmas last year we went out a couple of times for a drink or a meal and one thing leads to another..Its taken a few months to sort out all the finer details,because we didnt want to rush into anything really.

Aww, I hope it works out better this time round. Grief can do funny things to some people.

Nice to know it is possible to stay friends too, amidst all the tales of hatred... :)
  • Damzel_In_Distress
    Options
    Aww, I hope it works out better this time round. Grief can do funny things to some people.

Nice to know it is possible to stay friends too, amidst all the tales of hatred... :)

Yes-people always said we "were not normal" for continuing to be friends,not only for the sake of our own sanity but also out of love for our son ...Shows how cynical the word has become really-when if you dont hate your ex you are "not normal" :rotfl:
    Having a coke with you
  • Ossireo
    Ossireo Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Yes-people always said we "were not normal" for continuing to be friends,not only for the sake of our own sanity but also out of love for our son ...Shows how cynical the word has become really-when if you dont hate your ex you are "not normal" :rotfl:

I'm quite happy to not be normal :j I want my son to be in contact with his dad and grandparents etc and not have a tense atmosphere .. life is so much easier that way (besides the lucky little sprout ends up with and extended xmas and birthday so he is very happy lol)

Good luck with the moving in together Damzel, as others have said, just let the various departments know when it actually happens, even though you don't deem yourself as single, your household is still single until you move in together :)
  • Damzel_In_Distress
    Options
    Ahh im a "benefit fraud" now according to another posted in DT :rolleyes: Who has been with my partner and child all along to "gain the maximum income"
    Having a coke with you
  • bestpud
    Options
    Ahh im a "benefit fraud" now according to another posted in DT :rolleyes: Who has been with my partner and child all along to "gain the maximum income"

Lol, that's DT for you! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport