Pregnant 16 year old living at home?

Options
Please can someone tell me what a my sisters pregnant daughter who is 16 years old and who is living at home with parents who both work is entitled to claim?

I know she should get Child benefit but is that all? (I dont mean "Is that all!!!) I'm just asking what else she may be able to claim?

Please no responses saying condoms, a good talking to etc as my sister has been through all that.

Thanks

Comments

• Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    CTC and if your Niece works then WTC
    she can claim the new £190 health in pregnancy grant
    as she is under a certain age she can also get Healthy start vouchers (milk tokens) as her body is still so young and the pregnancy will drain her off calcium she will need the extra milk. (this is £3 a week) once the baby is here and she is not claiming WTC then she will get £6 per week until baby is 1 then its down to £3 per week.
    She may be entitled to the Sure start maternity grant.

Im not sure but I think as she is under a certain age her mum will still be able to claim CTC/WTC and CB for the Niece too. Is she still at school? Will she still carry on her education once the baby is born, cos if yes then her mum will still be entitled to that money.

(someone correct me if im wrong)
  • laurenjs88
    laurenjs88 Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I was 18 so it may be slightly different as mum is only 16, but I claimed income support, Child tax credits & child benefit whilst i was living with my parents.

Best thing to do would be to get her down to her local connexions, they are great if she hasnt got a PA already and can help fill in forms, look at education and all sorts.
    Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
    My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
    Sea
    led pot challenge 4 - 332
    Make £11k in 2011 £0/£11000 - 0%
    And lots of other challenges!
  • barrieo
    barrieo Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies, she is still at school but finishes in May, I'm not sure what she will do but i dont think she will work or continue education as she will have to look after the child (I'm not certain about this though) also as both her parents work and have a decent income will this not affect what she can get?

Thanks again
  • Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    it shouldnt affect her money.
    Is the father still in the picture?
    If he is not will she be claiming Maintenance from him?

She should really think about continuining her education.
  • laurenjs88
    laurenjs88 Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    There's so much help for young parents to go to college i really would recommened her going to see connexions. Lots of colleges have nurseries & she can see the baby on breaks etc...

A lot of the mums at the young parents group i go to are at college or uni now & are really grateful of the break from being a mum for a few hours & knowing they are making the best out of the hand they've been dealt.

Also she can claim EMA which is £30 a week.
    Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
    My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
    Sea
    led pot challenge 4 - 332
    Make £11k in 2011 £0/£11000 - 0%
    And lots of other challenges!
  • lolly_896
    lolly_896 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    I beleive as she is so young her parents would have to claim beneifits on her behalf,im pretty sure they would be able to claim child benefit for both there daughter and granchild if she stays in education and tax credits once she is 18 i believe she will be able to claim her self for her child

hope this makes some sence
    DFW Nerd #awaiting number - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sealed Pot Challenge #781
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    As she is 16 she will be able to claim for herself and her baby, her parent would only have to claim if she was under 16. I found this on Connexions website:
    Aged 16 - 17
    Depending on your circumstances and that of your parents/carers (if you still live at home) there a range of benefits that could be available. Again at 29 weeks pregnant, you can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant to help buy things for your baby. You will also be entitled to free prescriptions and free dental care during pregnancy and for 12 months after the birth.
    After the birth
    You will be entitled to Child Benefit, and in many cases Income Support which applies even if you are in education or training. However Income Support is means tested, so what you get will depend on the amount of money you have coming in and the amount of savings you have.

http://www.thesource.me.uk/your_life/money_and_benefits/pregnant_single.htm
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • sinstar
    sinstar Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    Im not sure but I think as she is under a certain age her mum will still be able to claim CTC/WTC and CB for the Niece too. Is she still at school? Will she still carry on her education once the baby is born, cos if yes then her mum will still be entitled to that money.

At 16 if she is claiming WTC/CTC herself, her mum will not be able to claim CTC for her regardless of whether or not she is still in education.
  • tink_the_stink
    Options
    Her mum will have to give up any Child Benefit & CTC she receives if she decides to claim Income Support for herself as a Lone Parent, she can also than claim Child Benefit & CTC for her own child once born
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    Got nothing to add except I hope she stays well.

Fast forward ... 10- 15 years and little un wants designer clothes, etc, etc, and mummy needs to improve job prospects to finance it all... no doubt she will remember the hard times *now* and spur herself onto better herself iyswim.

Best of luck to her & babyx
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family