Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 23rd Feb 09, 12:51 PM
    • 8,366Posts
    • 14,004Thanks
    geri1965
    Replacing bathroom radiator with heated towel rail
    • 23rd Feb 09, 12:51 PM
    Replacing bathroom radiator with heated towel rail 23rd Feb 09 at 12:51 PM
    Hi

Can anyone tell me what's involved to replace a bathroom radiator with a heated towel rail - would the system need to be drained down completely or can the radiator be isolated and removed and replace with the towel rail?

I was also wondering how much it might cost for someone to do the work (labour only) assuming it is too difficult for me to do myself?

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 23rd Feb 09, 1:03 PM
    • 4,619 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    latecomer
    • 23rd Feb 09, 1:03 PM
    • 23rd Feb 09, 1:03 PM
    Unless you get a towel rail thats the same width as your existing radiator then you are going to need to alter the plumbing. What kind of valves do you have at the moment?
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 23rd Feb 09, 1:18 PM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    • 23rd Feb 09, 1:18 PM
    • 23rd Feb 09, 1:18 PM
    I don't know what they are called - they are small white plastic, not thermostatic.

I was thinking of getting one the same width anyway, as my bathroom is quite small and the space it's going into is restricted.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 23rd Feb 09, 1:30 PM
    • 4,619 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    latecomer
    • 23rd Feb 09, 1:30 PM
    • 23rd Feb 09, 1:30 PM
    If its the same width then it shouldn't be a big job. Provided you can shut off the valves then you shouldn't need to drain the system. Simply shut the valves off, drain the radiator and after making sure the valve connections are clea, fit the towel rail.
    • andrew-b
    • By andrew-b 24th Feb 09, 12:10 AM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    andrew-b
    • 24th Feb 09, 12:10 AM
    • 24th Feb 09, 12:10 AM
    Not necessarily as simple... valves can be straight or angled.

For a standard radiator the valves usually connect into the sides at left & right. If the pipework runs along at skirting level and then bends upto the valve (or if the pipes comes straight up out the floor) the radiator would have angled valves.

For a standard ladder-type towel rail the valves connect into the bottom at either side. Therefore if you have pipes running along at skirting level and bending upto angled valves for the old radiator you would need to substitute the valves for straight valves which requires a drain down - plus also the towel rail would need to be slightly wider.

Andy
  • sparky883
    • 24th Feb 09, 7:40 AM
    • 24th Feb 09, 7:40 AM
    We replaced a radiator in our bathroom with a heated towel rail,Against the advise of our plumbers merchant (said it would be cold) and 3 months later we swapped it back again!!
    OH THE JOYS OF BEING SELF-EMPLOYED!! Can Travel,Will Work For Free!
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 24th Feb 09, 7:46 AM
    • 6,188 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 24th Feb 09, 7:46 AM
    • 24th Feb 09, 7:46 AM
    They dont give out much BTU, a towel rail should be as well as a radiator, not instead of.
    • latecomer
    • By latecomer 24th Feb 09, 8:45 AM
    • 4,619 Posts
    • 2,626 Thanks
    latecomer
    • 24th Feb 09, 8:45 AM
    • 24th Feb 09, 8:45 AM
    Very good point. I almost bought one from Screwfix while on offer until I realised it was only 160W. that wouldn't keep our cupboard warm nevermind the bathroom!
    • jblack
    • By jblack 24th Feb 09, 8:50 AM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 4,628 Thanks
    jblack
    • 24th Feb 09, 8:50 AM
    • 24th Feb 09, 8:50 AM
    So can anyone guess why they're called 'towel rails' then
    • lisal0u
    • By lisal0u 24th Feb 09, 11:24 AM
    • 534 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    lisal0u
    Hi,

We have put a towel radiator into our tiny bathroom and our plumber has informed us it will not be good enough to heat the room! I checked that the BTU output would be enough for the room size but apparently towel radiators are not regulated like radiators are. So they can say it will have an output of say 1400 BTU's but that will only happen if your boiler is heating water to 90 degrees

We have had to put underfloor heating in to make sure it will be warm enough!

Maybe worth having a word with a plumber before you buy anything!
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 24th Feb 09, 11:27 AM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    Hmmm, good point. I didn't think about any potential loss of heat.
    • TomsMom
    • By TomsMom 24th Feb 09, 12:49 PM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 13,049 Thanks
    TomsMom
    Just to reiterate what others have said. My son replaced his bathroom radiator with a towel rail. It wasn't very long before he replaced his lovely new towel rail with............. a radiator .
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 24th Feb 09, 1:50 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 6,019 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    Agree with other posters, Heated Towel Rail not enough to heat bathroom. When we moved here soon changed ours for a Radiator.
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 24th Feb 09, 1:58 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    Good afternoon: The key is to look for towel radiators with the designation EN 442 then size as you would a regular radiator. The OH has sourced several towel radiators from here and has had no complaints about heat output....in other words it can be done

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 24th Feb 09, 2:56 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    Kiran
    Good afternoon: The key is to look for towel radiators with the designation EN 442 then size as you would a regular radiator. The OH has sourced several towel radiators from here and has had no complaints about heat output....in other words it can be done

HTH

Canucklehead
    Originally posted by Canucklehead

Couldn't agree more. I think the main problem is people expecting to replace a standard radiator with a similar sized towell radiator. Swapping for an equivalent output will usually mean an increase in size.

That being said, I knocked our bathroom and seperate WC in to 1 room about a year ago and still havent put a radiator back in so whatever the temperature increase, it will be scorching!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,958Posts Today

7,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin