Working tax credit 4 week run on

Options
I wrote to the Tax credites people back in december to inform them that i wouldnt be able to return to work after having my son, so today i received a letter confirming they had stoped my WTC and that i was entitled to a "Four week run on payment" of WTC and Child care costs... TO MY UTTER AMAZMENT>>>> So those of you too scared to call and tell the WTC people that you are no longer working, you may just be entitled to a little something extra to help your transition from Employed to unemployed...!! So dont go just letting them keep paying you - As you WILL get a bill one day!!!

What an amazing thing to do, apparently its a New Rule!!!
WOW!!! Money well needed i have to say... and even nicer that i WASNT expecting anthing!!!!!
:j Life is what you make of it, live each day to the full:j

Comments

• astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    Options
    But dont forget, if you are recieving IS, council tax benefit and housing benefit you have to infom them as this is taken into account.
    So for that 4 weeks, you may not be entitled to IS.
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have received that payment already consider yourself very lucky. The TCO system is not configured to calculate it automatically so it has to be done manually and can take ages to be sent out. If you are trying to claim Income Support and Housing Benefit the delay in getting the run on payment can also delay your other benefits. I would expect the backlog in dealing with run on payments will grow longer as more people lose their jobs in the recession.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    This is a just asking but why would someone get childcare payments if they are not using childcare? I am assuming as the OP is not working then she has no need of childcare. Just seems odd.
  • astonsmummy
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    This is a just asking but why would someone get childcare payments if they are not using childcare? I am assuming as the OP is not working then she has no need of childcare. Just seems odd.
    I think maybe because some people have to give a months notice to nurserys or something, i thought it was odd, and when my son started school it actually messed up my HB claim as i still got childcare costs for an extra 4 weeks, resulted in my claim being stopped and me having to fill all the forms in again, i'd of rather not had the run on.
  • krisskross
    Options
    But the OP says she hasn't worked since before her child was born 6 months ago.

Sorry to be picky but I would like to understand.

Perhaps the OP isn't clear and it is just WTC she is receiving.
  • astonsmummy
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    But the OP says she hasn't worked since before her child was born 6 months ago.

Sorry to be picky but I would like to understand.

Perhaps the OP isn't clear and it is just WTC she is receiving.
    But you can still receive the childcare element of WTC if you are on maternity leave, which i assume this is what the OP was on :confused:
    2652147 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    The 4 week run on is a pain in the rear ..

I informed Tax credits I had left work and was applying for Income support . They said thats fine it wont affect anything .

It seriously delayed my Income support claim and I had to reapply twice and eventually ( 3 months later ) got it backdated to when the 4 week run on ended . Id of rather not had it and claimed Income support from day one , not sure if you have a choice tho :/
  • krisskross
    Options
    But you can still receive the childcare element of WTC if you are on maternity leave, which i assume this is what the OP was on :confused:

OK. thanks
  • tamsin1982
    Options
    maybe the op has a toddler that was in nursery while she was working? i have to give my sons nursey 6 weeks notice before he leaves. I also had to pay a full months money in advance and tax credits pay it back in arrears so 4 week run on would be me getting my money back!??
  • krisskross
    Options
    tamsin1982 wrote: »
    maybe the op has a toddler that was in nursery while she was working? i have to give my sons nursey 6 weeks notice before he leaves. I also had to pay a full months money in advance and tax credits pay it back in arrears so 4 week run on would be me getting my money back!??

the OP has a 5 year old as well as the baby
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport