Park Hampers? Safe or not?

Options
I am tempted to start saving for Xmas 2009 with Park Hampers, but with the collapse of Farepak and the recent collapse of other big names I was wondering if anyone knew how strong they were? I don't want to sink all my spare cash into them, only to find my cash sinking into a financial black hole come next Christmas
We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team

Comments

• mrsfarnie
    mrsfarnie Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Very safe. they offer you a special contract where you don't lose any money. Have saved now for past 3 years with no problems!! I would recomend them.
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So, if they went into liquidation I would definitely get my cash back?
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    i would play safe join save a pound aday challaege
  • Emms
    Emms Posts: 956 Forumite
    Options
    Dont know much about these type of saving schemes but surely its better to just open a savings account at your bank then you can spend your money anywhere you want?

Emma :)
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When my kids were young i always used Park Hampers for buying vouchers and they were good for using at xmas. Today we were discussing vouchers, saying although your money`s safe with park, will there be any good shops to spend them in nxt xmas? i used to get a lot of toys from Woolworths wit my vouchers.
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Emms wrote: »
    Dont know much about these type of saving schemes but surely its better to just open a savings account at your bank then you can spend your money anywhere you want?

Emma :)

I thought about that, but I am 100% guaranteed to draw it out and spend it before Xmas :rotfl:
  • spaceman5
    spaceman5 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Options
    zenseeker wrote: »
    I am tempted to start saving for Xmas 2009 with Park Hampers, but with the collapse of Farepak and the recent collapse of other big names I was wondering if anyone knew how strong they were? I don't want to sink all my spare cash into them, only to find my cash sinking into a financial black hole come next Christmas

the company is probably as safe as you can get with these types, but i would strongly advise against getting any vouchers from them, as in the current climate who knows what shops will be around next xmas to spend them in, Dave
    Take every day as it comes!!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why do people use companies like Park, surely its better to set up a standing order from your normal account into a new account for say £2 each week
  • spora
    spora Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Why do people use companies like Park, surely its better to set up a standing order from your normal account into a new account for say £2 each week

yeah i have never understood why people use these companies either. Surely its a lot safer to just put the money in another bank account and just use self control to not withdraw the money. Thats gotta be better then potentially losing it all if the company goes bust.

Edit: i just had a quick look, the post office have a savings account where you only get 6 free withdrawals per year. So perhaps that will make you less inclined to withdraw the money randomly? Tbh i havent looked at it properly so i dont know if its any good, but it might be worth a look:
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump1?catId=19300232&mediaId=23200510
  • Saint_Nick
    Options
    Either Park or Vareity Christmas club are safe bets. Problem is will there be any shops left to spend them in?

Maybe they should start offering Amazon and play.com vouchers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport