Hillary's - where do i stand?

Options
I bought some blinds from Hilarys, 3 roman blinds to be precise. We paid half up front and agreed and installation date for 3 weeks later. This was yesterday, 45 minutes before they were supposed to be fitted he rang up to say not all the blinds had been delivered by the courier on his MONDAY order. So it took the guy three days to figure out it was missing and call us 45 minutes before they were due to be fitted.

I was fuming as we were instructed to take down the curtain rail and curtains - both of which have now been recycled in the anticipation of my blinds and now for my front room to be open to elements - i was not happy.

I rang them up and to cut along story short they said it would be monday at the earliest (their weekly drop) before they were delivered, and later for installation. In the mean time my living room is open for all 24/7.

I rang back again not happy with the earlier explanation and asked to speak to the manager, and was met with the reply, 'manager's don't talk to customers'.

As you can imagine this enraged me further, but I'm not sure where i stand. I want the blinds, but how do i stand with regards to paying the remaining balance as the way i feel, with the inconvenience, the uprofessionalism and ineptitude of this outfit has left me feeling hacked off with the my treatment by this company.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    get them to install the blinds to your satisfaction then state to them that you are withholding an amount for the inconvenince that you have incurred and for their non communication in the matter and ineptness
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could ask what their procedure is for escalating complaints.Email them from the website.Tell them to fit all the blinds they can now,then come back and fit the rest later.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Anyone else remember in the 70's/80's people used to smear windowlene on their windows for a week while they decorated?

Not a very nice solution but it works lol
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    some people use newspapers to stick on their window to screen prying eyes
  • simonetaylor
    Options
    I had a guy out from Hillaries last weekend, showed me some MDF Shutters, with a nice plastic coating. He claimed they had a 10 year guarantee, wasn't signing on the night so he left his quote.

Reading the small print, I find out that the guarantee is actually 13 months, and they try to get out of the cooling off period legislation by saying that you can't cancel if they've started work on the blinds, now, whose betting they always start work immediatley?

Shutters were overpriced, and the same as every other company offers, chinese, another reason to stay away?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chinese?................................
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    Options
    Asking for a 50% deposit does seem to indicate they are expecting problems and want as much money up front as they can get away with. Personally on items like this, I would never give more than 10-15%.
  • d.edna
    d.edna Posts: 701 Forumite
    Options
    KILL_BILL wrote: »
    get them to install the blinds to your satisfaction then state to them that you are withholding an amount for the inconvenince that you have incurred and for their non communication in the matter and ineptness
    You know its illegal to withold any amount and they could take you to court
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    d.edna wrote: »
    You know its illegal to withold any amount and they could take you to court

No its not "illegal" at all.
  • d.edna
    d.edna Posts: 701 Forumite
    Options
    Tozer wrote: »
    No its not "illegal" at all.
    oh shut up and quit following me you troll, I hear microsoft released an unapproved colour of blue, go litigate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure