🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

I've won a Seasons Holidays Prize

Options
I recently received a recorded delivered letter from Seasons Holidays congratulating me on winning a prize to the value of £3750 from an Internet prize draw that I entered. When I phoned them to authenticate my prize I was told it was a 'timeshare' and that I have to pay £275.25 management fee for the 1st year and £367 for each consecutive years but that as a clubseasons member me and my family until 2069 were guaranteed 7 nights accommodation for up to four people in a luxurious villa, apartment or cottage, wherever I travelled and had a choice of more than 80 resorts around the world – including six popular locations in the British Isles plus a bonus of free mid-week or weekend breaks at luxiousious hotels in the uk.

Has anyone else received such a letter. I must admit, I am tempted but want to know if it is a scam!

Chocolatepea

Comments

• Happy_shopper
    Happy_shopper Posts: 6,662 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Has anyone else received such a letter. I must admit, I am tempted but want to know if it is a scam!

Chocolatepea

Yes, lots of people, I'm afraid. :(

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=227618&highlight=clubseasons

Please be careful with this. Hope you get a real win soon.
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Options
    Is that it? Just seven nights? :confused:
    :cool:
  • hayleyw1
    hayleyw1 Posts: 20,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    its a scam...
    R.I.P TO THE MOST AMAZING MAN PUT ON THIS EARTH! MY DAD XX 13/03/2010 love and miss you so much xxjan wins, uki goodies,necklace, case wkd, thomas goodies, sterilizer, 2 pairs boot, earings
  • auss2k
    auss2k Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recieved a letter today. Yes it is a con - they are a timeshare company who know what they are doing - I found the following elsewhere on the site:

COMPANIES FINED FOR ‘FREE’ HOLIDAY’ SCAM

Companies behind a “free holiday” con have been successfully prosecuted by Carmarthenshire County Council trading standards officers.
    Seasons Holidays Plc along with Vacation World Ltd and Direct Tours and Travel Ltd appeared before Carmarthen magistrates on Monday, August 12, accused of making misleading price claims, contrary to the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
    Vacation World had been cold-calling people to tell them they had won a free holiday.
    But those taking up the offer were later informed that the offer was conditional in that they would have to pay a £39 per person administration charge and attend a Seasons holiday sales presentation at Laugharne Park or another venue.
    Those attending were given, by Seasons, glossy leaflets from Direct Tours and Travel, which stated: “This is a guaranteed holiday for just £39 per person, with no strings attached!”
    However after couples had sent off the non-refundable £78 they had to wait for their preferred holiday, which was usually not what was offered, involving more conditions and charges.
    In one case charges of between £59 and £279 were claimed as seasonal supplements. There were also flights supplements, depending on the departure airports.
    Consumer complaints to the companies were generally ignored.
    On investigating these complaints Carmarthenshire trading standards officers were given little co-operation from Seasons, who offered no explanation for their actions.
    Officers found that Direct Tours and Travel used the promotional material despite being advised not to by Hertfordshire trading standards because of its misleading content.
    It became evident that despite being three separate companies, there were strong links between them with the common aim of trying to sell timeshare for Seasons.
    Head of Public Protection Philip Davies said: “ This investigation has been the accumulation of various enquiries into the promotional activities of Seasons over the years.
    “They have never shown any inclination to work with enforcement agencies, as in this case, by ignoring advice, and consequently we had no hesitation in prosecuting.
    “The penalties imposed reflect their behaviour and apparent disregard for misleading consumers as to the final costs of taking up their holiday offer.”
    Magistrates stated that they gave the companies credit for their guilty pleas, but fined Seasons Holidays plc £12,000 plus costs of £2,053. Vacation World Ltd were fined £2,000 plus costs of £500 and Direct Tours & Travel Ltd were fined £4000 plus costs of £500.
    The solicitor for the companies claimed the problems arose because they had outgrown their control systems and said action was being taken to prevent similar problems in the future.
    NOTES TO EDITORS: For more information contact Sam Burson, press assistant, on 01267 224 114.

Last Updated: 16/8/2002

I would like to know who i can report this to; so they can be fined more in the future!
  • smartt21
    smartt21 Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    Options
    This was also my very first "win" . Thanks to all the info on the boards I didn't even bother to phone them. Hope you get a proper win real soon :D
    A-Z Challenge 2013
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Thanks to all who take the time & effort to post. You are all stars!!
    :A
  • nicci1807
    nicci1807 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    God, I'm so gutted!

I got one of these today and genuinely believed I had won a holiday.

My husband and I have 4 kids....2 of whom are severly disabled and haven't had a holiday in 18 years.

Now I'm so glad that my instincts told me to check on here for any potential scams.

I may be gutted, but at least I'm not out of pocket.

Thanks to all for this post.
  • laura2506
    laura2506 Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just came home to find one of my neighbours must have received my mail in error and has posted this through for me while I was out.
    I was over the moon thinking I too had won a free holiday - then read on. Showed it to hubby who instantly said "scam" !!!
    Thought I'd check here to see what was what !!! Luckily I'm not out of pocket either. Thieving swines though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    Yes, it is a scam, ended up costing me and my then partner over £1000.
  • zfrl
    zfrl Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I won too - will not bother to contact them. Thanks to all here who report scams & keep us up to date.
    :cool:
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
  • bonnycot
    bonnycot Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Interestingly the fact they have been prosecuted in Carmarthenshire seems not to have made any difference whatsoever, I live in Carmarthenshire and just received a letter (recorded delivery) dated 27th August, inviting me to call Sandra on 0 8 0 0 4 4 8 4 4 8 to authenticate my prize win (worth £3750) and an invitation to a day at the races at Sandown Park Racecourse to watch the Tingle Creek Steeplechase and enjoy champagne brunch etc hosted by Derek Thompson (the face of channel 4 racing).

I will be reporting this directly to Carmarthenshire Trading Standards.........

What a cheek!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family