🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Student Learning To Drive...?

Options
Smickan
Smickan Posts: 1,053 Forumite
Hello :)

I realise this is probably a very stupid question but I was wondering if anyone could help me please.

As a 'Congratulations' present my mum is going to buy me my first few driving lessons in one of the packages that they offer and my brother is buying me some more for an early christmas present.

However - although I've always wanted to drive, I haven't looked into it.

I know you have to apply for a provisional and will in due course, but I was wondering - how long does it last please, how early do you have to have it before you apply to start lessons, how long does it take in coming?! Thanks :)

Also - how did you chose your school?! Did you visit a lot or go with the cheapest? Is there anything I should ask or look for? Is a male or female instructor better?! How many lessons did it take you, do you have any funny stories etc?!

Thanks :) I realise I'm a pain but I'd love to be as organised as I can - I've googled for info but the sheer amount is intimidating and I don't know how much is valid or important!

Thank you :)

Comments

• scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Provisional licences usually take a couple of weeks to arrive after you've sent off the form. As soon as you receive it you can hit the road
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    A provisional licence lasts two years for a car. You have to have your licence before you can start lessons however you can look for a school in the meantime.

Choosing it depends on how you want to go. If its weekly bookings, people usually go by word of mouth. If its a block booking, guaranteed pass type, national chains tend to be the way.
  • Smickan
    Smickan Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you very much :)

I've searched the local ones and they all seem to do some form of deal for students, blocks and various hours from 1, 1.5 and 2. Does anyone have an opinion on what is the best amount of time?!

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    That really is all down to individual abilty, some people will need far more lessons than others.

Usually the bigger driving schools are the worst, best to ask friends etc. for their recommendations.
  • Little_John
    Little_John Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    Options
    Always go by recomendation, I used the same person my Mum used he was spot on, he had perfected the speed at which he taught everything to allow you to take everything in. his method with my Mum was different as she was older but he even got her though her test sucessufully.

I did weekly 1 hour lessons, I did try a few 2 hour lessons but I found that after the first hour it didn't add anything and it was a little exhausting as your mind is working overtime trying to take in what is being said and concentrateing so much on what you are doing. later on I had a few 2 hour lessons as the driveing part became more familiar to give me experiance of driveing. your instructor can only teach you so much, you need the time behind the wheel to actually get a better feeling for what all the other drivers on the road will do in situations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport