Freezer for Outside Shed

Options
Hi

My garage freezer has just packed up (had it 3 years and was second hand). Just looking for a new one and notice that some are suitable for 'outside' use. Just wondering if this a crock to charge more money for an appliance.

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/freezers/article/best-freezers-for-your-garage
    "The lowest room temperature that these appliances are designed to work in is 10°C. Keep your freezer in a room that gets any colder, and there!!!8217;s a chance it will stop working properly, causing all of the food inside to defrost."
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've never known it to be a problem with freezers. Fridge/freezers are the ones to watch outside.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably would be better INSIDE shed!
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Always used to wonder what the big deal there was about this, but recently with this hot weather found out why!
    A freezer in a garage or shed, while in the winter would get colder than inside the house, I've found how much hotter the garage has been the past few months.
    A freezer would have to work hard to cope with the temperatures, OTOH Spain, Italy, & Greece must manage with there temperatures - so should be attainable.
    But if the info says 'not for garage use' stay clear.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • omendata
    omendata Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Yes tghe advice is correct although i have never seen the danger actually happen! Frost free use a heater remember and the temperature of the compressor cna also be really high so in enclosed spaces it does cause very high temperatures - counter intuitive to what a freezer is thats why it confuses folks!
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We can only use Beko freezers outside in garage due to the very low winter temps we sometimes get and even then I've had a winter at minus 20 and it shut itself off but just opened the freezer door, food won't defrost at minus 20.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    We can only use Beko freezers outside in garage due to the very low winter temps we sometimes get and even then I've had a winter at minus 20 and it shut itself off but just opened the freezer door, food won't defrost at minus 20.

+1

We've had a Beko fridge and freezer in our garage for the last 10 years without problems. Both have been working without a problem.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    We've had a Beko fridge and freezer in our garage for the last 10 years without problems. Both have been working without a problem.

We recently bought a small Beko freezer for a garage. I think they were pretty much the only brand that we could find that said that the freezers could work in lower temperatures.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My parent's garage one is also a Beko.

It was the only one they found that was guaranteed for garage use.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    My freezer in my garage turns off in the coldest winter period. Which is a real pain as it tends to be Christmas when I'm loading it up! You don't know it's been off so you can't tell whether the food has defrosted then refrozen later. I had apple pies I'd made in there last winter and when I got them out they were frozen but had mould on them bleughhh!

I have read it is freezers which are Frost Free which have this problem. Apparently they work in a different way, but can't tell you more than that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure