eBay return.

I purchased two mobile phone screen protectors from an eBay seller. The wrong item has been sent, they are too big and obviously not for the phone I require them for. The listing does state the correct phone and screen size.
The seller is non responsive to messages.
I selected a refund via eBay and, after going through their process, they want paying £3.11, taken from my Paypal account, for the return cost. That is more than the item cost.

It would be a 1st class stamp! Why should I bear the cost of returning an incorrect item? At that extortionate rate too.
Is there a way that these may be returned,through eBay, using a 1st class stamp?
I am inclined to not bother and just neg. them but if everyone did that sellers and eBay would get away with this all the time.:(

Comments

• Sounds like you selected one of the options for change of mind, if you select one of the options for not as described the seller has to provide a label.

If you use your own label then really eBay want tracking to show the return was delivered.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I purchased two mobile phone screen protectors from an eBay seller. The wrong item has been sent, they are too big and obviously not for the phone I require them for. The listing does state the correct phone and screen size.
    The seller is non responsive to messages.
    I selected a refund via eBay and, after going through their process, they want paying £3.11, taken from my Paypal account, for the return cost. That is more than the item cost.

It would be a 1st class stamp! Why should I bear the cost of returning an incorrect item? At that extortionate rate too.
    Is there a way that these may be returned,through eBay, using a 1st class stamp?
    I am inclined to not bother and just neg. them but if everyone did that sellers and eBay would get away with this all the time.:(

As above it sounds like you opted for a change of mind return - having seen this issue on several forums over the past few weeks I suspect it is the 'doesn't fit' option causing the problem. If that was the option you chose then it appears to mean, at least to ebay, that buyer bought the wrong item and it is therefore a change of mind. A straight Not as described, or wrong item sent doesn't appear to have any issues at all- so perhaps you could clarify which option you chose?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2019 at 11:10AM
    Thanks both. I think I selected that I require a refund which looked to be the only option for returning the item.

Now, because I started that process and then cancelled when I saw the silly cost involved, I cancelled the refund.

The eBay system has now deleted the item from my "purchased" list.
    Sorry to ask further but now what?

Edit to add that I managed to navigate to the list and selected not as described but the eBay system tells me I can't return the item. Probably because I opened and cancelled a return?

Time to give them a call? Which I have done. EBay can do nothing further - apparently! Advised to open a dispute with Paypal - done.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks both. I think I selected that I require a refund which looked to be the only option for returning the item.

Now, because I started that process and then cancelled when I saw the silly cost involved, I cancelled the refund.

The eBay system has now deleted the item from my "purchased" list.
    Sorry to ask further but now what?

Edit to add that I managed to navigate to the list and selected not as described but the eBay system tells me I can't return the item. Probably because I opened and cancelled a return?

Time to give them a call? Which I have done. EBay can do nothing further - apparently! Advised to open a dispute with Paypal - done.

Have you already opened a dispute with PayPal? IF not then please ensure you opt in to their free return system, you cannot do that once a case is open. if PayPal agree with a claim for item not as described and you haven't opted in for free returns then you will one again be faced with paying return costs yourself using tracked postage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thanks again, soolin.
    Yes, I opened a dispute through Paypal, as advised by the eBay rep..
    Although the seller hasn't replied to any messages, they have refunded to the Paypal payment method. No request to send the items back. No use anyway and I don't know which phone they are for.
    Anyway, all resolved and thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport