Trying to clear my debts (Very Long as I have explained things)

Options
Hi all, I need some advice as to what to do. My financial situation is about to change a lot. I'm going to be loosing about £450 a month income when my teen goes off to university in a few weeks (child support payments, child benefit, child tax credits all going) but I have over £10k of debt to repay.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last year and only recently discovered I should really be applying for PIP. I will be getting on with that claim, but I know it is notoriously difficult to claim especially for someone whose ability fluctuates like mine does from "no problems" to "so exhausted/in pain I can't even get out of bed", or involves mentally struggling (some days I struggle to make a cup of coffee, or add up two numbers, or speak a sentence without making a mistake and some days even reading is problematic*) so I am not even going to think about possibly having that as income right now.

I'm also a self-employed rep for a world famous 'make-up' brand who "ding dongs" as they call ;) I really can't up my earning from that much more as its already exhausting me both mentally and physically. My teen often has to step in and double check things for me as I'm starting to make silly mistakes which end up costing me money. I earn about £1000-£1200 a year from it, but I have to plough some of that money back into supplies so I might in fact only make maybe £900-1000 when all is said and done. I have a lot of loyal customers, but the turn around of tenants in my area means I can get a £50 order one week from a new customer and the next week when I come to deliver it the person has moved and I won't have any contact details for them other than their address despite asking for a number or email. I then have to send the products back (if I can't sell them to someone else, or cover the cost myself if I know I can sell it in the future) and I loose out on the approximately £12 earnings from that order. Doesn't sound much, but it soon adds up.

I try to do "side hustles", but doing surveys etc exhausts me mentally and I can only do maybe one or two if I'm lucky and don't get screened out before having to sleep for a while. We have some things we've decluttered that we're going to sell, and my teen is going to get on with that a few things at a time starting next week (they're away with their boyfriend at the minute). I daren't even consider matched betting as I make too many mistakes day to day so I don't want to risk it.

My debt situation as it currently stands (on this months statements - I've made this months payments today so all actual figures are slightly lower):

Natwest - £3,231.63 - 0% interest - Original spending credit card I've had since 2002. I've made arrangements with them a few months ago to pay £101 a month until my financial situation changes when the situation will be reviewed again. They have stopped all interest so any payments go directly towards the balance owed and in theory this debt would be clear around the start of 2021 if I was able to keep the repayments up at this rate. I can no longer use this account, so it's in effect closed. (This was so easy to do with one simple phone call and they were very understanding!)

Argos - £817.48 - 4 BNPL plans at 0%, all have to be repaid by 9/10/19 or I'll get charged interest. I HAVE in theory budgeted to clear this by then (I have £340 going towards it this month while I have the money which will clear one plan completely and about halve the one which will cost the most in interest if I don't clear it in time. This is how I'm prioritising paying them off). I have no plans to use this at all again unless I need to replace something major like the washing machine or a bed or something. If my teen wants to use it to buy furniture or electronics then they will be responsible for paying it back through me. ;)

Overdraft with Natwest (limit which I bob around constantly each month) - £2,500 - about 19% interest - Costing me £6 a month in overdraft charges, and approximately £30-35 a month in interest. Every time I think I'm getting somewhere, an unexpected expense crops up (like me needing new trainers due to current ones being worn through or something). I would really prefer to just pay this off rather than move to another bank, then reduce my limit to £500.

Halifax - £3088.85 - 24.70% interest - I contacted them the same day as Natwest, and agreed to pay £90 a month back as they were asking for over £160 a month due to perpetual debt. As far as I could tell from the phone call, it was the same arrangement as Natwest. They have closed the account (I asked them to as I was sick of getting "balance transfer offer" letters), and they stopped the interest payments. However they've started charging me interest again and this months statement has interest of £56.06 on it, with a minimum payment of £86.95 which means I'm going to be in perpetual debt with them again. This card was just for balance transfers on 0% offers which have all ended now. I have no idea how what happened here is any different to what I did with Natwest but I have gotten a very different result despite using the same figures!

Evans - £2745.32 - 34.080% 8 interest - The only card I have been using to cover clothing purchases, last Christmas, and a couple of grocery deliveries when I've been too ill to get to the shops and not had the funds in my bank account to pay with that since I got it in 2017. This months statement said "Contractual minimum payment £102.55 but a recommended extra payment of £85.20 (Making a payment of £187.75) requested". My teen has paid me back some money they owed me so I managed to pay £170 off this month, rather than the usual £100. My limit is £3600, and I've just locked my account so I won't get any more increases, plus I've set up an alert for it to text me when I get close to 85% (£3050) of my credit limit (Haven't put it at 80% as that's £2880 and I already know I'm close to that:p.). I plan to decrease this % limit every 3 months as I pay the debt off. I don't want to close this account in case of an emergency (like my dog needs emergency medical treatment or I have to pay for something major that my emergency fund which is currently £325 made up entirely out of money my teen owed me is unable to cover) and its the one I'd like to pay off as fast as possible.

Total debt (if overdraft was maxed which it nearly is as I'm waiting for this months big deposits): £12,383.27

My current state of affairs means that in August I can afford to make the payments to these debts, however come September, I won't be able to. We have no insurance, the only savings I have is what my teen has paid me back this month and I figured it was more important to start an emergency fund/budget savings for Christmas/clothing etc than to pay off a lump sum on a debt (although I used some towards the Evans card as that's where the full amount should have been going). My teen is going to be paying keep each week (£40 a time rather than £70+ it would be for student accommodation) which will cover the grocery budget of £160 a month, they will also be taking on their mobile bill which will save me £15 a month. They will be responsible for their own expenses for purchasing clothing, gifts, and any transport costs etc out of their own income, but I will only have £179.68 (according to my estimated calculations) to pay towards my debt plus whatever little I manage to make through work, which is nowhere near enough.

As far as I know this will be my state of affairs from September first:

Income
Housing benefit - (£419.56 every 4 weeks = 5454.28 yearly) - MONTHLY £419.56 (Will budget as only 12 payment a year)
Working Tax Credit - (£122.53 weekly estimated =£6371.56 yearly) - MONTHLY £490.12 (just 4 payments a month)
Wages : (£40-60 every 3 weeks on average after costs = £720-1120 a year) - MONTHLY £60-93
Keep from Teen: (£40 weekly = £2080 yearly, less weeks when they don't pay but increase their contributions to the running of the household instead) - MONTHLY £160.

Total Income per month (lowest amount - extras will go to wards funding an emergency & sinking funds for Christmas, clothing etc so I don't have to add to my debt when those expenses crop up): £1129.68

Outgoing (Monthly):
- Rent: £460
- TV licence: £12.38
- BT landline: £20.50 (I need it for internet connection)
- Water: £40 (not on a meter but we use a lot of water for baths/showers and cleaning the yard after our dog and landlady would prefer we didn't switch anyway)
- Eon (Gas & electric): £104 (They've just put it up to this)**
- Sky internet: £19.51 (need it for work, but I am shopping around to find a better deal which doesn't involve a big initial outlay, or jump a ridiculous amount when an offer ends)
- Mobile : £11 (lowest I can pay for 1GB of data monthly which covers the average amount I used each month last year as I spend a lot of time sitting around in waiting rooms - plus also means if I need to I have enough data to still work if my internet goes down and I have a deadline to meet. I use it for personal stuff mostly, but also work.)
- Council Tax - £13 (Usually £8 but they've recalculated it and given me this month off - Band A property, I get 25% discount for sole occupancy as teen is a student, plus council tax support. Without that I'm looking at £50 a month)
- Netflix - £5.99 (Our only luxury. I don't drink, smoke, or go out or buy magazines/DVDs. I even borrow books from the library.)
- Groceries - £160-200 on average per month (this is for food, cleaning supplies, dog supplies and any miscellaneous expenses like a new tin opener or the very rare treat)
- Transport costs - £5-64 a month (depending on health for bus fares. Its £2.40 per journey on the bus, £4.10 for a day pass and £16 a week for a weekly pass - it just depends on appointments and work/errands how much I spend (I'm applying for a free disabled pass as I might be entitled to one according to a friend who works for the local travel company). I do try to walk when I can even if it'll take me an hour to get somewhere if I'm having a good day, if not I try to get as much done in one day as possible then spend the next day sleeping)

TOTAL MONTHLY OUTGOINGS: £691.38 - 802.38

Outgoings (Yearly)
- National Insurance Class 2(?) contributions to ensure I get a full state pension: £150 approximately (I try to put this away from the money I earn and have heard rumours it could increase to £600 a year)
- Micr0s0ft subscription : £60 (I put this away from the money I earn)
- Domain registration: £12 (£60-ish every 5 years - Used for work and personal stuff)
Total yearly outgoing cost per month: £18.50

So before debt:

Income: £1129.68
Total outgoings monthly: £709.88-820.88

I should be fine to be able to squirrel some money away for sinking funds. However my problem is:

Current Debt Repayments
Natwest - £101 (agreed amount. To be reassessed under new circumstances. No interest)
Halifax - £90 (just over minimum payments and agreed amount when they weren't charging me interest. - 24.7% interest)
Evans - £100+ (trying to pay it off - 34.080% interest - and keep for absolute emergencies I can't cash flow. It will be going in a block of ice in the freezer and deleted from every website it may be registered on!)
Argos - £150 (when that's paid off I'm going to need this money to cover the fluctuating expenses, so effectively it'll go towards paying off my overdraft)
Overdraft - £40 (19% interest + £6 charges - approx maximum it costs)

Current Debt Monthly cost: £481

After debts taken into account:
Income: £1129.68
Total outgoings monthly: £1190.88-1301.88

So you can see that my problem is my debts and I don't know what to do over the repayments. I have no choice with the overdraft as it's taken automatically which is why I want to get it cleared ASAP. Halifax now charging me interest has just thrown me. I thought I was on the same agreement as Natwest and therefore also paid off in early 2021 but obviously it mustn't have been.

* This post has taken me the best part of 3 hours to type out as I've had to keep taking breaks and walking away as I couldn't focus. I knew this had to be done so I've just kept at it. I am now exhausted. If there are any mistakes I'm sorry.

** I'm hoping that by making some changes we can reduce this to £100 or less a month.. We're in a 1930s end terrace with a north facing gable wall in the hallway so not easy to heat. Landlady is sorting out new UPVC windows as our current ones are 15 years old and starting to fail along with a new UPVC front door for us, instead of the current draughty wooden one. Central heating (A rated boiler which is <5 years old) is kept at 18C constant over winter (I try to leave it off until mid-October/November if possible and it goes back off around mothers day if not earlier) or if it gets too wet other times otherwise I can't physically function and since I work from home it's needed. I rarely put it above that, although we may blast it to 21C some mornings for an hour or so if its particularly cold/wet. We used to have a cannabis farm next door and (ignoring the fire risk and the crime) I really miss the extra heat it gave our house :rotfl:Then we had a brothel who also kept the house very warm. Now we have more law abiding neighbours and the house is noticeably colder :rotfl::rotfl:

If you've made it this far thank you so very very very much. :o Even I can't re-read all this :rotfl:
Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!

Comments

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned....................

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 76
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 160
    Benefits................................ 909.68
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 1145.68

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 460
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 13
    Electricity............................. 104
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 20.5
    Mobile phone............................ 11
    TV Licence.............................. 12.38
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 19.51
    Groceries etc. ......................... 180
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 0
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 40
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 5.99
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    MS Office/internet domain............... 6
    NI contributions........................ 12.5
    Total monthly expenses.................. 884.88

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Natwest Credit Card............3231.63...101.......0
    Argos..........................817.48....150.......0
    Natwest overdraft..............2500......40........19
    Evans Credit Card..............2745.32...100.......34.8
    Halifax Credit Card............3088.45...90........24.7
    Total unsecured debts..........12382.88..481.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,145.68
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 884.88
    Available for debt repayments........... 260.8
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 481
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -220.2

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -12,382.88
    Net Assets.............................. -12,382.88

Created using the SOA calculator at https://www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using Firefox browser.
    poppy10
  • Lendrid
    Lendrid Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice about the debt side of your post, I only started my diary today and we're in trouble too!

What I can suggest is that you see your local welfare rights team to help you fill out your form for PIP and to find out if you're eligible for any other assistance. They were just amazing with me, and it's only because they knew what to put in form that I got somewhere with it. I'm certain of that. Wishing you all the very best x
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2019 at 12:29AM
    Options
    Does your teenager work full time? If so you should up their weekly dig money. Your household bills inc rent and food comes to over £800 a month, so they should be contributing half. To put it plainly, you’re skint. If they have a FT job, then you shouldn’t be subsidising them, you can’t afford it.
    £400 a month for rent, bills and food is still a great deal.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    It looks like a debt management plan to me. Payplan or Stepchange or diy.

It would take around 4 years but possibly less if you can get PIP. Need to get that application in and appeal when they turn you down!

You will need a new bank account to keep your income safe. Not Natwest or Halifax or any bank connected to these.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hugs - it sounds like you are in a difficult situation.

I would ask Citizen's Advice or a fibro related charity for some help filling in the personal independance and mobility allowance forms. Third parties are more willing to ask hard questions like how easy is it to shower and wash hair or stand and cook etc and write those answers down.

I also think it would given a debt charity like step change a call if you can't get your income increased - or even if you can. Your credit is shot if you are on an arrangement plan anyway - get the interest stopped properly

You also need to stop using the evans card for anything - it is not a safety net - it is digging out a hole from underneath you currently that you are falling into. Save a £1K emergency fund instead and go from there.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think you need to look at a DMP or even a DRO. The evans and Halifax card are just charging too much in interest and you will not get any 0% deals with your current income and debt. Contact stepchange and stop using the cards. You will need to default(not make the payments) and save an emergency fund instead. You will need a new bank account with someone other than Nat West or Halifax and no overdrafts.

That soa is incomplete but even as it stands there is a shortfall and you have omitted a lot like presents, vet bills as you have a dog, emergency savings, contents insurance. You have also left off the water rates from the soa so the situation presumably is £40 less a month giving you a minimum of £260 shortfall before you even think about debt repayments. This is one reason why I think a DRO would be better than a DMP as you have nothing to pay towards a DMP unless you get PIP.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Will your teen be living at home during university? If not, have you thought about renting out their room?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I think there are things you can save money on but a DRO or DMP may really help.

I think there are 1GB data phone contracts a bit cheaper and I'm sure you can get internet and phone under £40 a month but it's worth focusing on your overall plan.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    That soa doesn't look like a DRO situation because it shows £260 surplus.

But most of the income is the partner's, plus the benefits (joint?). So strip that down to an individual soa and it's a possibility
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    Have you considered claiming universal Credit rather than working Tax Credits? I thought there was a minimum earned income to claim WTC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure