Male employee asked to cut hair short

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Can a policeman have long hair in a pony tail?

No. But neither can a police woman.
    Wear your hair so that it is cut or secured above the collar and ears and is neat and tidy. It should not present a health and safety hazard. Any hair accessory must be plain in design and black or navy blue in colour. Extreme and vivid hair colouring is not permitted. Do not dye it in conspicuously unnatural colours.
    For police officers and other operational uniformed staff, pigtails and ponytails are unacceptable due to officer safety implications.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://recruit.college.police.uk/Officer/Documents/Appearance_Standards_GuidanceDocument.docx&ved=2ahUKEwjU3PCdq8DjAhWKbsAKHexDCeUQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1z7PG8HZGusQnaEqvZDrrJ
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    highguyuk wrote: »
    This feels like this isn't right and is discrimination, but I'm no expert. Can anyone advise?

It feels like it is right, but it's illegal. Company is being stupid putting that in writing. They need an unwritten dress code. Don't know why they hired someone who doesn't meet conventional standards of smart appearance, but they can't even hint that his appearance is the reason if they are going to sack him.

Appearances matter. Rightly or wrongly, most of us judge people by their appearance.

Look at Corbyn. When he was scruffy and turned up in Parliament looking scruffy in brown suit, he looked like a joke. But he took David Cameron's mother's advice. He had a shave and a haircut, got a smart suit and tie, and now looks like someone fit to run the country. Appearances are deceptive.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wonder what classifies women's hair as being "neat and tidy". Even short styles can be "tousled". Wonder what they'd have made of my 80's perm!!!

Personally, I think that any difference between the descriptions between what Men & Women should wear is discriminating on that very fact that they are either.

I made a similar observation to DH whilst watching Wimbledon and the line judges. Men HAD to wear ties. Women got to choose between either a skirt or trousers, and were able to wear open neck shirts. Some of them didn't look good in either to be fair!!!!:eek::eek:

But as said above....before kicking off, how long have they worked there, and do they want to stay working there!!!??
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are female employees also to be clean shaven?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • highguyuk
    highguyuk Posts: 2,763 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good discussion so far!

He's worked there less than 2 years, and isn't typically someone who would like to kick up a fuss - hence why we're trying to support him. His company, quite small and local, are quite traditional in their ways.

His boss asked him verbally to cut his hair this week, quoting his contract. I've advised that he needs to ask for this in writing formally.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's not sex discrimination because you are a man, dopey!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A couple of years ago parliament discussed whether it should be illegal for dress codes to make women wear high heels at work - which seems to me to have similarities to this.

https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/129823
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,689 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a load of anguish over nothing. Why not worry about real issues instead of this sort of trivia, which is exactly what it is?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Reminds me of the first firm I did my work experience with, got a list of what's allowed and what isn't; even down to women having one set of earnings only (I had my ear pierced 10x at that point!), I wanted the experience at that firm so complied.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure