Payment required via bank transfer on gumtree - Is it safe?

Abdal_T
Abdal_T Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi,
so I stumbled upon this irresistible deal on gumtree. The only trouble is that it's quite far away. So I need him to ship the item to which the seller agreed. However, due to some bad experience with PayPal in the past the seller only takes payment via bank transfer.
Now my Question is,
    is it safe for me to pay him via bank transfer?
    Is there anyway for me to get my money back in case this turns out to be a fraud?
    What sort of confirmation should I ask the seller after which I can initiate the payment on my side?
To be honest, this looks like "too good to be true" deal but if safe, I want to give it a go.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Abdal_T wrote: »
    Hi,
    so I stumbled upon this irresistible deal on gumtree. The only trouble is that it's quite far away. So I need him to ship the item to which the seller agreed. However, due to some bad experience with PayPal in the past the seller only takes payment via bank transfer.
    Now my Question is,
      Is there anyway for me to get my money back in case this turns out to be a fraud?
      What sort of confirmation should I ask the seller after which I can initiate the payment on my side?
    To be honest, this looks like "too good to be true" deal but if safe, I want to give it a go.

Thanks in advance!!

Generally not safe as there is no way to get your money back. It's the same as handing over cash.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No and No to the first 2 questions. That's why the seller doesn't want to use PayPal.

Stick with 'too good to be true'
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,190 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Look at the Gumtree FAQ's they warn about paying for something with bank transfer as it is not safe for any buyer. Gumtree is a scammers paradise with sellers taking bank transfers and then disappearing, just do a Google search.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 100% scam.
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Abdal_T wrote: »
    Hi,
    Now my Question is,

Thanks in advance!!

There's the first warning bell!

Go to collect the item in person and hand over the money when you're happy that it is what it claims to be.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    bubble565 wrote: »
    Can you be more exact? How did he contacted you? Did he use some kind of a company? Please send more details about this
    Doesn't need to be, it's a common scam that still catchers people to this day. Getting a bargain seems to be to irresistible to some people.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Ask him if you can collect and pay cash (even if you cant). You will get your answer soon enough that it is a scam when he says you cant.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    100% a scam, these “irresistible deals” seem to be appearing on gumtree every day lately.
    ====
  • soolin
    davemorton wrote: »
    Ask him if you can collect and pay cash (even if you cant). You will get your answer soon enough that it is a scam when he says you cant.

No need it's so obviously a scam it's not even worth wasting time typing an email.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    looks like we are picking up some post builders today, if you see anything that looks spammy can you click the spam button and let the forum team decide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure