Problems with agency

Options
I started agency work and the rate of pay was different than what I expected - included holiday pay. So that set me of on a bad footing but I wasn’t working so thought any money was good.

Anyway they have an online portal and I filled out payslip incorrectly - unknown to myself, so I’m getting paid a week late. Ok lesson learnt I guess.

I was supposed to work 8 hours but I was told to leave early on Friday. I was offered a different job over the weekend and took it - more pay and agency was a short term job. I told my agency I wasn’t happy with being sent home an hour early and cited that and a reduction in assumed pay.

However I later found out that I was getting paid got the hour that I didn’t work on the Friday. Which is weird as I’ve never been in a job that pays for hours you don’t work - unless it’s a salary and then it’s the opposite. I thought it was a bit unfair as the person who started work earlier than me didn’t get this “free hour”.

I’m having a few issues coming to terms with it.... because I feel it’s quite unfair although I obviously felt the advantage of it. Any thoughts for this cooler Monday :money::j

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Coming to terms with it?

I assume the person who started earlier got paid for 8 hours as she expected. So did you. The fact you worked 7 is nothing to do with anything.

Really not sure what there is to come to terms with...
  • GreenTreen123
    Options
    ^I!!!8217;m on an hourly rate of pay.... if he arrived later to work and still got paid the same amount as me, wouldn!!!8217;t that be unfair? At he extreme if that was to happen every day would that be ok?
  • GreenTreen123
    Options
    I didn!!!8217;t know I was getting paid 8 hours. I thought it was 7 - because I!!!8217;ve never filled in a time sheet for hours that I didn!!!8217;t work.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    But who cares? I dont understand the big problem, you both got paid what you were booked in for.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi,

I currently work for an agency, I get paid for 9 hours a day (they pay me for an hours lunch too) some days I only do 8 hours but they still pay me for 9. My hours I agreed before I started at the place I'm at.
  • GreenTreen123
    Options
    The reason why it annoys me is that I!!!8217;ve always worked on hourly pay by the number of hours you work. If I work more - I get paid more. If I work less..... surely I get paid less.

Sure there could have been better communication from both sides, but when I bought it up with the assistant that the other temp did a !!!8220;full day!!!8221; she was dismissive.

Cool when things work in your favor but imagine if this was to become a regular occurrence, and it doesn!!!8217;t benefit you.
  • GreenTreen123
    Options
    Why are you getting paid for your lunch break? Are you expected to work in it?
  • marliepanda
    Options
    I didn!!!8217;t know I was getting paid 8 hours. I thought it was 7 - because I!!!8217;ve never filled in a time sheet for hours that I didn!!!8217;t work.

You said you were ‘supposed’ to work 8 hours. With agency work that’s inportant.

Imagine your employer said ‘can you go to X for 2 hours work’ you might think it’s not worth the petrol, so you say no. If they say can you go for 5 hours you think it’s probably worth it.

If the place sends you home early your agency still bills for the full amount of hours booked and you get paid.

You keep saying ‘regular occurance’ and how about when it doesn’t benefit you. When would it not benefit you? The person before you isn’t ‘losing out’ they got paid for the hours they worked. They don’t have to give everyone a free hour because you did.
  • GreenTreen123
    Options
    Firstly your comparison with the 3/5 hour thing isn’t a good comparison because it would be starting a new assignment.

My contract with agency says 37.5 and I’ve been told to work 40 hours by the business. So I’m not sure exactly what my “working hours” are. But really I could be told to go home at any time and no contract either side. I also only agreeded to the assignment 7 working days after starting because that’s how long it took to get the online details. Plus I did overtime the week before, so my days are strictly not 8 hours.

There is a paper signing in sheet and I submit hours online. So if I sign out at 5pm but put 6pm on the timesheet - going to look a bit weird as the manager who authorizes the payroll was away that day and sees the descripency.

The agents haven’t paid me on time - will be a week late because they didn’t sent me the login details in a timely manner. I have to put in my hours online, gets sent to my manager onsite who then sends it to payroll. So I’m only getting money for the hours I submit.

Anything could happen - the other temp gets to work really late and we all get set home early again.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you've left the job, the extra time could be accrued leave that they've paid you for, but perhaps not shown separately on your payslip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure