Building the future!

Options
After a looooong time lurking and avidly reading other people's diaries, I finally feel in a place I can start my own.

I'll try and give as short a 'history' as possible but I have a long and complex relationship with debt. Since moving out of home 20 years ago I don't think I have EVER been debt free :eek:

From catalogue debts with the first boyfriend, to humungous personal loans and a repossessed house with my ex-husband over 10 years ago, I have lurched from one financial crisis to the next.

I am now in a happy relationship, we have a child and work for ourselves. Due to a big work project we found ourselves (again) in financial hot water. I just seemed to hit a wall at the beginning of this year (had my LBM I guess) and said, enough is enough. I have worried about money for my entire adult life, I don't want to anymore. I want a life and I want to look forward to the future, which hopefully involves eating a bit more than baked beans and not living in a tent.

So my first task was to identify our spending habits. SHOCKED does not come close. We like to eat out - A LOT. That has all stopped now! I've made some horrific financial decisions (I will maybe elaborate over the course of this diary to avoid boring you all to tears straight away).

To cut a long story short, at the start of this year, we had FIVE substantial loans with sub prime lenders, as well as the normal credit cards, car finance etc etc etc. I took the decision to sell my one and only asset, which was also costing me £1000 per month in running costs (I may go into this later!). I got £21,000 from this. As soon as that money hit my bank, I paid off every single one of those sub-prime loans. The relief was IMMENSE. I don't ever want to go back to that place again. I also used the money to pay off any silly little bills, and put four new tyres that were needed on the car (avoids that cost for a while!). So now our goals are:

- clear all remaining credit ASAP (I will post a breakdown and SOA later)
- establish clear boundaries between work money and personal money (I will elaborate in another post, but they have been very blurred in the past which leads to problems in both business and personal!)
- start taking retirement planning seriously (which means START PAYING INTO A PENSION!!!)
- take our finances by the scruff of the neck and don't let go until they are sorted
- work out HOW we can buy ourselves a house. We are going to need at least two years worth of attractive tax returns and a substantial deposit as my partner is older and I doubt we will get a mortgage for over a 20 year term, I hope my repossession is so long ago it won't affect it but you don't know....

My dream is to be debt free personally wise by the end of 2018, debt free business wise by the end of 2019, and to be a homeowner at some point in 2020.

I've started this diary to keep me motivated that I am getting somewhere, to make myself accountable, and to hopefully get some advice and support.

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary.
    Look forward to reading your posts :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Think I will just pop some of my thoughts on here too (I guess its my diary I can do what I like :) )

One of the biggest takeaways I have got from my whole situation is the importance of teaching your children to be good with money. My parents always spent everything they had despite having a lot of money, enough to have been in a fantastic financial position now. They never had a repayment mortgage and are now struggling to pay their mortgage off into retirement. I was not spoilt growing up at all, but I don't think I ever learnt the value of waiting and saving for things - my first car was on finance (at my parents suggestion!). My partner's parents were similarly terrible with their finances, and in fact he has the reverse problem that they were SO bad he had very little growing up, so now feels like he needs to have EVERYTHING the second a single £ hits his pocket...no saving for the future!

I am so determined that my son will grow up knowing about money, When I left home I did not have a clue how to budget, or how much things cost. I already try to say to him about how we can't have such and such a thing until we have saved the money, just so he learns the value of things.
  • RhiBi
    RhiBi Posts: 703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, looking forward to reading your diary xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • LullaBelle
    LullaBelle Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    good luck with everything. I look forward to keeping up with your diary!
    Virgin £4892.50/ £3880
    Loan £16587.87/£11706.19
    Sofa £1100 / £314.40 Virgin £6550 / £4533.20
    Barclaycard £5411.41/£0:j
    DH Halifax £413.77 /£0:j Overdraft £450/£0 :j
    Total £35405.55/ £20433.79
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Gemsy
    Happy new diary

good luck with your journey. You have some wonderful goals there.

Take care
    SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Happy new diary! I've subscribed. :)
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Gosh, I am feeling the need to decompress!!!

I'd set aside today to go through all our business budgets, and my head is just spinning. I am applying exactly the same principles to my business as I am to personal. What I am getting is that being financially successful, be it personally or in a business sense does not happen by accident! You actually have to plan and work at it, and at times make hard decisions. Is this another LBM? It feels like one....I think I just thought everything would work out.

For posterity, I just want to keep a record of the things I have done so far;

- Changed bank accounts, Barclays were giving me absolutely nothing, and taking everything - just not worth it. I also have just got my £100 switching bonus paid in.
    - Along with new bank account I got offered a 0% bank transfer credit card with a limit of £3800. I'm keeping this in readiness for the final push of clearing remaining debts
    - Set our budgets (I will post a SOA and welcome feedback!), and have allocated money for myself and partner which is ours to do with as we please. I think he has felt quite emasculated by the fact I have taken control of our finances for the last x years, and I think its nice for him to have something that is just his.
    - Just taken out a new electricity contract, and got a £50 referrer bonus going onto the account.
    - Negotiated a reduction in interest on my barclaycard, from around 20% to 6.9%
    - Used business account to pay off my Paypal credit account which was used to buy my mac (for work) and was steadily gaining interest due to the ridiculously low monthly payments they took.
    - Started selling some bits on Ebay. I have £300 sat in my Paypal account ready to use to pay off debt.

We have just had something of a windfall, after battling (and failing) with Lloyds over a PPI claim, they have (out of the blue) sent a letter enclosing a £5400 cheque for their 'improper actions' around 2013. Part of me is shocked, part of me is thinking, too right, they behaved appallingly (my partner had a totally unblemished 11 year record with them and around £25000 of unused credit. I was very poorly when my son was born, he forgot to make a payment, it spiralled etc etc etc).
    I then, prompted by this site, made a Plevin claim to Lloyds, and they have paid out £2100!

So I am currently sitting in a nice position of having £7500 to throw at our debts.

After the flurry of the selling of my asset and the paying of the sub prime loans, I am just gathering my breath, checking balances, and working out where we go next.

Part of me wants to keep a bit aside as an emergency fund. Being self employed, life is always quite precarious, and feels very hand to mouth. I want to get away from that and feel secure. I feel like an emergency fund (or at least a start of one) will really help that.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news on the 7500 :D
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Great start to everything! Looking forward to reading about your journey :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wow, what a great start! You've made so much progress already! I have a feeling you'll do amazingly at this!

If I was in your position, I would definitely keep a month's worth of expenses in an emergency fund just for that peace of mind. Then throw the rest at your debts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure