PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Load bearing wall advice

Options

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    barmeysmb1 wrote: »
    Thanks - i have one SE in mind so far, costs are £120+VAT if no site visit.
    With site visit = adding on £180+VAT
    total = £300 + VAT - seems reasonable

Price sound about right or should i expect to pay less ?

How can you tell if a wall is load bearing without a site visit?
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you can be sure without a site visit. My structural engineer missed one working from a plan drawn up by an architect. It was the builder who spotted it.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Badger50 wrote: »
    I don't think you can be sure without a site visit. My structural engineer missed one working from a plan drawn up by an architect. It was the builder who spotted it.

In fact anyone who says they can tell a load bearing wall without a site visit I'd question with a salt mine .
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Thanks - the floor boards upstairs do run in the same direction as the wall, so as you say the joists will most definitely run over the wall in that case.

Does that still conclusively make the wall load bearing ?

My builder said it was likely that it meant it wasn't load bearing but he wasn't prepared to chance it without actually looking.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It could be down to me misunderstanding your OP but if there is a wall downstairs and a wall above it upstairs as you say, surely that means it is load bearing?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My builder said it was likely that it meant it wasn't load bearing but he wasn't prepared to chance it without actually looking.

Unless your builder was a demolition expert, you've misunderstood something. If the floorboards run parallel then the joists run perpendicular to the wall and the joists are held up by the wall and the load from them is transferred down. It's basic.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It could be down to me misunderstanding your OP but if there is a wall downstairs and a wall above it upstairs as you say, surely that means it is load bearing?

The OP has said that the upstairs wall is not solid so is probably not itself load bearing, so the existence of that wall can't be used to decide whether the downstairs wall is load bearing or not.
  • barmeysmb1
    barmeysmb1 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Essentially i'd had a couple of quotes for load bearing wall removal and RSJ install - and myself guessed the wall was load bearing. The visiting builders also did not say to the contrary. However as i'll need SE calcs - i may as well get final confirmation from the SE that it is definitely load bearing. In the interests of saving a wasted visit from SE (and costs) i was wondering if indeed there is a sure-fire method of a diy'er confirming.

Seems there are a number of ways of 'almost' confirming - but i guess there is nothing more solid than hearing it from a SE.

Although from the kind replies to this post - i'd bet my life now its definitely load bearing.

Thanks all
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there a sure fire way of checking ?
    I was thinking of removing a section of ceiling (need to change anyway) and check which way the joists are running (ie across and over the wall - but i need some advice as to if this is conclusive enough?
    Yes, and no.

As has been said already, you need a structural engineer. What hasn't already been said is that loads are not just from the roof, walls and floors above. Some walls in buildings also carry horizontal loads, no amount of checking joists and floorboards will tell you for sure whether a wall is loadbearing or not, only the knowledge and experience of a structural engineer will do that competently.
    I'm no building expert so probably best to ignore me but when we did this the builder took up a couple of floorboards in the bedroom and said it was fine when he looked at the joists.
    Unless he was also a structural engineer then his advice was potentially dangerous if he limited his investigations to lifting a couple of floorboards. :(
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although from the kind replies to this post - i'd bet my life now its definitely load bearing.

Some people have bet their life.... and lost.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport