Gas safe: Pay me to fix else I’m turning your gas off

Options
Had a gas safe guy turn to check my house as I need a gas safe certificate.

He found a problem with the hob, it had a flexible gas pipe instead of a solid one. I was a bit dubious but after a google search it seems others have changed for the same reason.

What I have more of an issue with is he said by rights I should disconnect this cooker. However I’ll keep it on if we arrange for me to do the work.

I said I would want to get quotes for the work. He said i will have to disconnect your hob then. I have lodgers so this is an inconvenience for others.

It was £80 inc parts and labour. I’m gonna get the work done but I’m a bit annoyed as to his ‘approach’ to getting the work. It was probably the way he said it, which was a touch on the aggressive side rather than apolgectic or matter of fact.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tnpn wrote: »
    Had a gas safe guy turn to check my house as I need a gas safe certificate.

He found a problem with the hob, it had a flexible gas pipe instead of a solid one. I was a bit dubious but after a google search it seems others have changed for the same reason.

What I have more of an issue with is he said by rights I should disconnect this cooker. However I’ll keep it on if we arrange for me to do the work.

I said I would want to get quotes for the work. He said i will have to disconnect your hob then. I have lodgers so this is an inconvenience for others.

It was £80 inc parts and labour. I’m gonna get the work done but I’m a bit annoyed as to his ‘approach’ to getting the work. It was probably the way he said it, which was a touch on the aggressive side rather than apolgectic or matter of fact.

Any thoughts?
    I would be suspicious about that. I have no idea as to whether he did need to disconnect you or should have just required you to have the work done within a certain time but to say as he did sounds dodgy. I have to have the landlord gas certificate as well due to having a lodger but have never had to have the supply turned off.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think your error was in asking for an inspection but not agreeing beforehand what would happen if the inspection found issues.

Flexible hoses are only allowed on stand-alone gas cookers, not on built in gas hobs/ovens, so he is correct that he could not leave it connected. You could have paid him to disconnect it, but it would have been better to address the costs for remediation work before he came to site.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The gas fitter is right. The flexible connection is not a regulation connection. Now that he has identified this, he is duty bound to make your installation safe, and all he has to do is turn the gas supply off.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not an expert but all the guidance seems to be that this is an "at risk" installation so he should only have turned it off.
  • Whitterbod
    Options
    Flexible hoses are used on freestanding cookes ,so they can be moved and cleand behind ,when this is done sometimes you get a gas leak as they have perished with age, and need to be changed ,all gas appliances should be fitted to the manufacturers instructions, as a gas safe register plumber,
    I would have explaind this and left appropriate paper work and made safe, and if allowed quoted for the new pipe work
    Thats a good idea thanks muchly.. 😊
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    how did this end up in ITQF forum?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure