PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kids snacks...

Options
2»

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Things have changed from the 1940's. Children require a varied diet, its one of the main reasons scurvy and rickets are less prevalent now.

After the war bread was rationed. They'd have been sent to bed with a carrot and grateful for it :rotfl:

I was going to suggest milky porridge. Cheap, quick, easy, filling slow-release carb.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Phili on crackers

Phili :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Philadelphia 180g £1.85 (£10.28/kg) :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Creamfields Soft Cheese 200g £0.49 (£2.45/kg) :cool: :cool: :cool:

(prices checked at Tesco just now)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Single adult thinking.

When children come into your life, you realise that they eat comparatively small portions of everything so want to make sure that whatever food you can get down them delivers all the nutrients they need. Carbs are fine for those of us who cannot be bothered to cook, but even I wouldn't inflict my culinary laziness on an innocent child!! I'd chop up a kiwi fruit instead :D:D:D

It is just a snack.... not their "proper meal", so toast won't hurt them. Snacks are what you give them to shut them up while you're trying not to despair about having to prepare/cook yet ANOTHER meal (God knows, you did one yesterday, will it ever end....)

:)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What does she like to eat?

DS3, as a teenager, needed a 'snack' when he got home from school, and yes, as far as I know he was eating lunch.

His 'snack' was a double portion of flavoured couscous. We were able to buy it in large containers, fortunately.

He would then eat whatever was offered for tea.

I miss the hollow legs - they've all left home now!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I remember getting a mug of hot milk or hot choc after dinner / before bed when I was litttle. It filled me up and also the warm milk would make me sleepy.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Soft boiled egg & soldiers

My children liked what we called a "bits & bobs" bowl. Made up of things such as Grapes, cherry tomatoes, sliced apple, cucumber, nuts, olives, chunks of cheese, salami, ham, hard boiled egg, pasta. Basically bits & bobs from the fridge, fruit bowl & store cupboard.

Cheese & crackers.

I've been told that banana dipped in peanut butter is good but I've never tried it.

Houmous & veg sticks.

I was never very successful with sandwiches with children because they always got bored & didn't eat all of as too much bread.

Jen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport