PIP advice

Options
hi trying to find advice and info, my mum is in receipt of PIP and lives in England , if she moved to be with me in the Isle of Man would she still be able to get her PIP due to not living in England but not being abroad.

this is not definate but just looking at options due to her recent loss

i have searched the internet and have been unable to find the info out.

any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advice.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 September 2019 at 12:01AM
    Options
    You can claim PIP in Isle of Man so I can't see that moving there would be any different.

From gov.uk
    Eligibility:
    Be in Great Britain
    Have been in Great Britain for 104 weeks in the past three years
    Be ‘habitually resident’ in the UK. This means that you intend to stay in the country and can live permanently in the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • shaziam
    Options
    thanks for your help x
  • The IOM isn't technically "abroad" as its a British protectorate e.g you don't need a passport.
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,944 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 September 2019 at 12:33AM
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    The IOM isn't technically "abroad" as its a British protectorate e.g you don't need a passport.
    It's not part of the UK or the EU though.

Also reading through the answers posted above I can't find anything that says a PIP claim could be exported from Great Britain or Northern Ireland to the Isle Of Man. PIP doesn't exist on the IoM, it's still DLA. PIP can be exported to the EU (care only I believe) but again the IoM is not in the EU. Reciprocal agreements on benefits between the UK and IoM only cover contributory benefits. The IoM is part of the Common Travel Area which helps establish habitual residence in the UK. I wonder if that is what the last part of what elsien quoted from gov.uk means.

Be ‘habitually resident’ in the UK. This means that you intend to stay in the country and can live permanently in the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
    I take "stay in the country" to mean either Great Britain or Northern Ireland and what follows from "and can live permanently" onwards I take to mean has the right to reside in the Common Travel Area if the person is not a British citizen.

I can't find that part on gov.uk though, it seems to be worded differently. Has it changed very recently?

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think it's as easy as registering a change of address when moving from any part of the UK to the Isle Of Man for benefits such as PIP.

In case a claim for DLA has to be made

https://www.gov.im/categories/benefits-and-financial-support/illness-and-disabilities/disability-living-allowance/

It might even be worth phoning the IoM DLA number (rather than PIP in the UK) to see if a quick answer can be given on whether PIP can still be paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure