Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay my share of the TV licence?

MSE_Sarah
MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 5 June 2017 at 2:52PM in Phones & TV
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I live in a shared flat and my flatmates want to split the cost of a licence so we can watch live TV. I know I won't use the TV as I'm out a lot and already pay for Netflix. Should I pay up just to keep the peace?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ35

"If you've signed a joint tenancy agreement with your housemates, it's likely you'll only need one TV Licence to cover all the TV receiving equipment in your house. So it's a good idea to share the cost.
    [...]
    If you've signed a separate tenancy agreement and you're using a TV receiving equipment in your room, you'll need a TV Licence of your own."

Having established the tenancy status and where the TV(s) are located, it's really up to you - do you want to
    • spend £50-odd a year (assuming three people sharing) for a quiet life?
    • put your foot down and refuse to pay?
    • chuck them out and get some non-TV watching flatmates?
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Pay it.
    There will betimes when you will watch live tv
  • louisewilson6
    louisewilson6 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2017 at 8:11AM
    Yes, I think you should pay it. There will undoubtedly be even the odd occasion when you watch live tv, and the facility is there for you regardless of how often you choose to use it.
    It seems a reasonable utility bill and the cost really isn't very much. You don't say how many flatmates you have but the cost could be well under £1 a week. For example, if there are 4 of you in total, the weekly cost each would be 71p. If there are 3 of you in total the cost would be 95p each.
    The small cost is well worth it to be free of any resentment or squabbles, leaves you free to watch tv if you please, and you are already winning if there's something you'd like THEM to contribute to in the future :)
    Happy viewing! x
  • For crying out loud, it's only £2.50 a week - less than the price of a decent coffee - and where do you think all the radio and iplayer programmes come from. Grow up
  • paul_k
    paul_k Posts: 22 Forumite
    I would say pay it,there will be times you see the tv on and therefore you are in effect ,viewing it !
    Also if you have a laptop etc and can view catchup tv be it on a phone too,you need a licence.
    I would not want you as a flatmate if you did not pay your share.
    You always get one don't you !! fit in or leave the flat !
  • iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For the sake of keeping the peace, as you put it, pay it. I don't know about anyone else but in every house or flat share I ever lived in this was just considered a household bill to be split if it was a joint tenancy. Don't be awkward for the sake of it or you'll get a reputation you probably don't deserve.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Certainly not - provided you never at any time sit down with your flatmates and watch what they alone should pay for.

I assume, in saying this, that you use your own device for watching what you want to see.

Don't feel bad about it. It's what's called fair play.:)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Of course you should pay a share. It's a facility available to you when ever you want it.

Do you count your showers and pay a portion of the water bill?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Do you all watch (and contribute to) Netflix or is it just you? I'd say if it's just you but everybody uses it then you don't need to pay a share of the license as well.
  • gaving7095
    gaving7095 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Pay it & keep the peace, no question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills