DVLA are just at it!

Options
Hi folks,

Thought I would share my recent experience with the DVLA (Decetful, Vile, Lying A**holes).

Back in Dec 17, I part-exd my BMW X1 for a Golf at Dealer A who pushed it on to Dealer B. We were told by the salesman that he would take care of informing the DVLA of the change of ownership as it can be done online, which we thought, great as so far his service was spot on.

Into the new year I received a letter from the DVLA saying that they noticed there is no insurance on the BMW and that if I was no longer the owner of the car I should write a letter to them to inform them of this.
So my first thought was that this should have already been done and that it was probably just an automatic letter sent out. So I left it.

A couple of weeks after I received another letter saying that they were now "taking action" but if I wish to contest this then I shuld fill in the other side of the form they sent with details that I no longer hold the car, when I sold it, to whom I sold it to and my insurance policy number etc etc.

I thought, ok there is a miss understanding here and seeing as there was no phone number to call, I listed everything required and attached a hand written letter explaining everything and also telling them that they can view the BMW on Dealer B website where it was for sale (and currently still is).

Then a week later I received another letter saying that I am being fined £100 but saying if I pay before such a time they will reduce it to £50......how nice of them. To me that sounds like a mobster act, "nice place you have here, be a shame it got burnt down, tell you what give me $2k a month and I'll see nothing happens to your joint"....wise guys.

So far you're maybe thinking they are right to fine me, well no not at all but we can agree to disagree. Now for the fun part...

So just the other week I realised I was never given a rebate for the tax on the BMW which cost £220 for 12months. I renewed it on 3/10/17 and part-xd it on the 9/12/17, so I was due a substantial amount back, right??
So I phoned DVLA (who have a phone number for the tax department:j) and told them I didnt receive a rebate......."sorry sir, it looks like you are still registered on the car"....!!!!!!!? :mad::mad::mad:

That's right they still haven't taken my name off the car. I did think about requesting a new V5 document as I still have record of the chassis number, taking the still for sale BMW for a test drive and keeping it as apparently I'M STILL THE REGISTERED KEEPER :rotfl: But no I'm not that kind of guy:A

Instead I went to Dealer B told him the situation to which he produced the my original V5 document and handed me the yellow slip. !!!!!!??

I then typed a letter (signed and dated), compiled every bit of evidence I had including the receipt of sale for the golf which showed the BMW as a partex, threw in the road tax receipt and the receipt for the fine and made sure to point out that I wanted the rebate to be back dated to december, as you just know the DVLA would play dumbass and try to short change me. I also made sure to send the letter recorded and signed for so they can't say they didnt receive it.

I am still waiting to hear back from them.

What I have learned:-

If you part exchange your car, make sure YOU send the yellow slip yourself and do not entrust that responsibilty to a dealer and do not trust that the DVLA online website will work for you because if it doesn't they will penalise you for their incompetence.

Make sure you receive confirmation you are no longer registered of the vehicle

Finally do not pay (a fine) any more than what you need to these "government bodies", stick to your guns if you know you are in the right and prove that you are so.

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    So actually what you are saying is that this is a situation of entirely your own making (you might want to read your obligations as printed on that yellow slip from the V5) but as is usual in this day and age you want to blame every man and his dog rather than admit it was your responsibility.

Typical of people nowadays, no personal responsibility.
  • Begsey
    Begsey Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks,

We were told by the salesman that he would take care of informing the DVLA of the change of ownership
    There's your problem. Trust no-one
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think your anger (and reimbursement of any fines you may still end up paying) should be directed at the dealer. If they said they'd update the registered keeper online and they didn't I'm sure why you think the DVLA is at fault?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks,

Thought I would share my recent experience with the DVLA (Decetful, Vile, Lying A**holes).

Back in Dec 17, I part-exd my BMW X1 for a Golf at Dealer A who pushed it on to Dealer B. We were told by the salesman that he would take care of informing the DVLA of the change of ownership as it can be done online, which we thought, great as so far his service was spot on.

Into the new year I received a letter from the DVLA saying that they noticed there is no insurance on the BMW and that if I was no longer the owner of the car I should write a letter to them to inform them of this.
    So my first thought was that this should have already been done and that it was probably just an automatic letter sent out. So I left it.

A couple of weeks after I received another letter saying that they were now "taking action" but if I wish to contest this then I shuld fill in the other side of the form they sent with details that I no longer hold the car, when I sold it, to whom I sold it to and my insurance policy number etc etc.

I thought, ok there is a miss understanding here and seeing as there was no phone number to call, I listed everything required and attached a hand written letter explaining everything and also telling them that they can view the BMW on Dealer B website where it was for sale (and currently still is).

Then a week later I received another letter saying that I am being fined £100 but saying if I pay before such a time they will reduce it to £50......how nice of them. To me that sounds like a mobster act, "nice place you have here, be a shame it got burnt down, tell you what give me $2k a month and I'll see nothing happens to your joint"....wise guys.

So far you're maybe thinking they are right to fine me, well no not at all but we can agree to disagree. Now for the fun part...

So just the other week I realised I was never given a rebate for the tax on the BMW which cost £220 for 12months. I renewed it on 3/10/17 and part-xd it on the 9/12/17, so I was due a substantial amount back, right??
    So I phoned DVLA (who have a phone number for the tax department:j) and told them I didnt receive a rebate......."sorry sir, it looks like you are still registered on the car"....!!!!!!!? :mad::mad::mad:

That's right they still haven't taken my name off the car. I did think about requesting a new V5 document as I still have record of the chassis number, taking the still for sale BMW for a test drive and keeping it as apparently I'M STILL THE REGISTERED KEEPER :rotfl: But no I'm not that kind of guy:A

Instead I went to Dealer B told him the situation to which he produced the my original V5 document and handed me the yellow slip. !!!!!!??

I then typed a letter (signed and dated), compiled every bit of evidence I had including the receipt of sale for the golf which showed the BMW as a partex, threw in the road tax receipt and the receipt for the fine and made sure to point out that I wanted the rebate to be back dated to december, as you just know the DVLA would play dumbass and try to short change me. I also made sure to send the letter recorded and signed for so they can't say they didnt receive it.

I am still waiting to hear back from them.

What I have learned:-

If you part exchange your car, make sure YOU send the yellow slip yourself and do not entrust that responsibilty to a dealer and do not trust that the DVLA online website will work for you because if it doesn't they will penalise you for their incompetence.

Make sure you receive confirmation you are no longer registered of the vehicle

Finally do not pay (a fine) any more than what you need to these "government bodies", stick to your guns if you know you are in the right and prove that you are so.

OUCH!!

But the part in BOLD =

You admit making the mistake of not sending the V5C back which you were responsible for?

Dont trust the online website? You didnt use the online website, you admit to giving the dealer the V5C?

Penalise you for their incompetence? None of the above appears to be their fault?

I can see where your thinking on the refund of the VED and wanting it backdated, but your still the registered keeper so liable for the tax until the date you notify them of the change.

Don't pay the fine, oh dear. Would you prefer to be taken to court and get a bigger bill?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    Worth also mentioning, if you do use the online facility you'll get an email confirmation straight away that the change in registered keeper has been recorded. So if for some strange reason (loss of internet connection, problem at your end or theirs) it doesn't go through you'll know by the lack of an email confirmation.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Careful everyone. Say anything the OP doesn't like with and the abusive PMs start!
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Hi folks,

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

NEVER ever ignore letters from official sources.

As above this is definitely not the DVLA.

Personally I'd be visiting the dealership and playing merry hell (after getting the confirmation that the car was theirs on the dates in question.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Last year I traded in my old car for a new one (actually it was scrapped) and the dealer said he'd inform the DVLA. He obviously did so promptly as I got my VED refund shortly afterwards and heard no more from the DVLA.

As others have said, the fault in the OPs case is with 'Dealer A'.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Last year I traded in my old car for a new one (actually it was scrapped) and the dealer said he'd inform the DVLA. He obviously did so promptly as I got my VED refund shortly afterwards and heard no more from the DVLA.

As others have said, the fault in the OPs case is with 'Dealer A'.

No, I would say the OP is at least 50% to blame. Trusting the dealer to do what he said was an understandable mistake, ignoring the first letter from DVLA was idiotic.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

There's your issue right there...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts